MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Best factory ammo?

mtlion

I don't have time, money or equipment at this point to handload.

I'm looking for opinions on who has the best factory ammo out there...Specifically for my 300 WSM.

Who has the tightest tolerances as far as powder load, and who uses the best performing bullet?

I shoot HSM 185 Bergers. We shot two rounds through a chrono, one was 3030 GPS the next was 3031 GPS. Pretty consistent. In my 300 wsm that is.

I had good results from Nosler at the range and on game,,,*bought them before the market went nuts and used them mostly for their cases. Strictly a handload looney now.

I have been running Federal Premium out of the Sako with excellent results.

I really like the Federal Premium with Nosler Ballistic Tips.

They've been very accurate, cycle smoothly unlike the Hornady I tried and it left a chunk of the heart on the tree beside the deer I shot this year. :D

I shoot HSM 185 Bergers. We shot two rounds through a chrono, one was 3030 GPS the next was 3031 GPS. Pretty consistent. In my 300 wsm that is.
If you find a Good lot of HSM, BUY as MUCH as you can, Get a case!. I shot a bunch of their 185gb Bergers in .308 and had some lot to lot consistency issues. The good Lots shot quite well, from both accuracy and consistency standpoints. The bad lots were all over.

What sort of Slug are you wanting to shoot? Bonded, all copper, partitioned...? And what weights. That can help narrow down the options out there. I have always had great performance out of Federal Premium ammo as well. Have also had good performance out of Nosler and Black Hills Premium ammo. Not a big Remington fan outside of the Core Lokt Ultra Bonded and Swift loadings (Personal preference, take it for what it is). Personally not a fan of Winchester rifle ammo, its the coating, nothing more.

Had mixed performance out of Double Tap. Some .223 Stuff was pretty stellar, IMO, their handgun ammo isn't worth what they charge for it.

As far as who loads the best bullets... that depends entirely on what you are planning to shoot, and max expected shooting distance

Plan your bullet for the largest game the rifle may take. If it kills a moose, it'll kill a coyote just as dead. Death is binary.

Ran two boxes of Barnes Vor-TX with 165s down my 300 WSM and it likes them, they shoot right around an inch give or take.

I've had great luck with Federal Premium and Barnes Bullets, however I recently purchased three boxes of 30-06 with their new "trophy copper" bullets to show support for their sponsorship here. When I got them the plastic tips we all broken off unevenly as if they came out of the mold funky or something like that.

The seem to shoot fine out of a pair of 30-06's I have, but first looking at them out of the package left something to be desired...they just had a poor finish on them. Hopefully that gets worked out as they continue development.

I had a Remington 700 in .300 WSM that loved the Barnes 165g bullets and now I have a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM that shoots great with the Remington Premier Accutip 180g bullets. When I got the Kimber I had a heck of a time finding ammo that it liked, and I could not believe how differently the Barnes bullets shot through it, given that they'd always been a solid performer through my 700. When I fed the new rifle the Accutips the shots went from all over the target (the Barnes bullets) to nice tight groups.

My point here is that if you are not a handloader, go buy a box of each of the top types of ammo and figure out which one your rifle likes the best. It's expensive up front but worth it once you find the right ammo. The best performing factory load on the market is the one that will make your rifle will shoot tight groups. Good luck.

I had a Remington 700 in .300 WSM that loved the Barnes 165g bullets and now I have a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM that shoots great with the Remington Premier Accutip 180g bullets. When I got the Kimber I had a heck of a time finding ammo that it liked, and I could not believe how differently the Barnes bullets shot through it, given that they'd always been a solid performer through my 700. When I fed the new rifle the Accutips the shots went from all over the target (the Barnes bullets) to nice tight groups.

Hard to tell 100%, but have you checked how long the throat is on your Kimber? I'd bet its .05-.1" shorter than that Remington. The Kimber I shot had a really short throat (not a bad thing, just something to know), Barnes recommends at least .03" off the lands. My hand loaded Accubonds set to 2.865" OAL were .007-.008" off the lands. I bet if you could find a barnes loading that was just a touch shorter OAL they would shoot lights out! Tiny differences can make drastic iprovements. Most Monometal slugs want a bit more lead before you hit the lands than traditional designs.

Check out the Federal Fusion. I've seen several animals go down with them and have never been disappointed in the results. Accuracy is normally above average also.

I shoot HSM 168 grain Berger VLD's our of my .300 WSM and it's been deadly accurate out to 700+. One thing to note is that each gun will shoot different bullets either better or worse. We shot both the 168 grain bullet and the 185 grain bullet and the 168 worked way better out of our rifle. I shot both my mule deer and elk with this round and the mule deer dropped in his tracks and the elk only went 15 yards before tipping over.

I didn't know you could buy factory ammo anymore. all I've seen at sportsman's warehouse for the last 6 months is a 30 foot empty shelf

Back