Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

300 rum factory 10 twist heavies?

rogerthat

Anyone have experience loading heavy bullets in a 10 twist factory rem 700 300 ultra? I’m thinking like 215 Bergers or 225 Hornady eldms? I assume COAL will be an issue but I’m also concerned a 10 probably won’t stabilize those bullets also. Is this a waste of time to try?

Bergers calculator puts you close to comfortably stable. I had troubles with 205VLDs in a Rem 700 XCR from way back in the day. Not certain of the twist rate but I'll bet it was 10. Shell will not even come close to fitting in a stock mag and bottom metal. I could put one in the mag because of the slope of the front ramp and that was it.

Anyone have experience loading heavy bullets in a 10 twist factory rem 700 300 ultra? I’m thinking like 215 Bergers or 225 Hornady eldms? I assume COAL will be an issue but I’m also concerned a 10 probably won’t stabilize those bullets also. Is this a waste of time to try?
Feed it the 200 grain Accubond if you want a fairly heavy bullet. mtmuley

A 10 twist RUM will stabilize 215 and 230 bergers no problem. I bet 225 ELDm would be fine as well especially at altitude. COAL might be an issue.

I could do that. I have some of those. I can’t remember my load but it was way over max and screaming. Shot good too.
This is my current bullet of choice as well. I am often surprised how much we hear this echoed of a gun that is shooting well so we want to change it up. If it shoots then shoot it until the barrel's dead.

This is my current bullet of choice as well. I am often surprised how much we hear this echoed of a gun that is shooting well so we want to change it up. If it shoots then shoot it until the barrel's dead.
I shot a lot of bullets up to 210 grains. To me the 200 grain Accubond was the best choice. We'll see if my new experiment is a succes or not. mtmuley

0.524 vs 0.693 or higher G1 BC. Depends what a guy is looking for. A 200 AB gets a guy about the same external ballistics as a 6 creedmoor.

You could try single loading the longer higher BC bullets like the 225 eldm...?

Otherwise i think youll just be better off with a shorter bullet.

I’ve had decent results with Nosler 210 RDF. I got them from SPS on a really good sale, so good cheap range fodder for fire forming brass to my chamber. Once those are done I’ll start with my Berger 210’s set as far out as I can.

The heaviest bullet I have tried in my 300 RUM is the Berger 210 gr VLD Hunting. It shoot greats. The Barnes 200 gr LRX also shoots well and it is a long bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back