Caribou Gear

300 rum factory 10 twist heavies?

Can't remember what grain it was in a nosler partitition that I shot my first elk with out of a rem 700 RUM I owned for 15 years. I got it back when those guns were very new with a 1:10 twist. I'm fairly certain it was 220 grains. Dropped a cow at 150 yards like a rock. I probably only ever shot 3 inch groups with that thing and those loads. It will throw heavy though.

That gun bucked so hard the wood stock eventually cracked. I've since stepped down to a more reasonable 300 win with a brake.

I shot 200AB forever, then really liked the 208 AMAX which is now the 208 ELDM. Some think speed is very important and others accuracy and recoil, but those factors are up to debate. What are your thoughts?
William, it is simple physics. The total mass of a system may change, although the total energy and momentum remain constant.

I hashed this over and over. It isn't necessary in a hunting rifle. I can load a ton of bullets that kill well out to ranges out of my skillset. mtmuley
Jr owns the RUM now & hit neck on his cow this year with a dead hold at 200 after stalking closer. Didn’t touch the dial.

Jr owns the RUM now & hit neck on his cow this year with a dead hold at 200 after stalking closer. Didn’t touch the dial.
My maximum point blank range rifle is a Remington 700 KS in 300 RUM loaded with 124 gr Hammer Hunters. I am no more than 2” high or low out to about 310 yards.

Can't remember what grain it was in a nosler partitition that I shot my first elk with out of a rem 700 RUM I owned for 15 years. I got it back when those guns were very new with a 1:10 twist. I'm fairly certain it was 220 grains. Dropped a cow at 150 yards like a rock. I probably only ever shot 3 inch groups with that thing and those loads. It will throw heavy though.

That gun bucked so hard the wood stock eventually cracked. I've since stepped down to a more reasonable 300 win with a brake.
Dan Coffin reborn my 700 LSS 7 RUM to a 300. Purchased the 7 right after they hit the market & before I started loading. Think Remington offered 140 and 160 Nosler Partitions. Could not operate it to sub minute with factory, custom loads, or self produced loads until Coffin did his thing. Our son loves it.

I really wanted the 7 to shoot but it was futile.

I hashed this over and over. It isn't necessary in a hunting rifle. I can load a ton of bullets that kill well out to ranges out of my skillset. mtmuley
You do feel kind of guilty with a dremel in your hand before beginning surgery on a nice piece of stainless steel. Praying you don't mess it up. We can't all be P Ham's.

Thanks for all the responses. It appears I could try lots of options or just stick with the 200 AB. For some reason I thought stability was an issue but it appears that’s not the big concern.

Thanks for all the responses. It appears I could try lots of options or just stick with the 200 AB. For some reason I thought stability was an issue but it appears that’s not the big concern.

Fyi you might suprise yourself with some elevation in terms of stability. It helps the stability out a lot - most of the ratings are a worst case which is sea level.

Twist rate and magazine size...it's only rocket science.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back