MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Best factory ammo?

Federal Premium Barnes TSX 180 gr from my 300 wizzum. Great round for me, not so great if you were the elk! I have yet to try the Trophy Copper, but that will be next for me. I am a big Federal Premium fan.

Federal Premuim NP's
.180 gr for that 300 WSM should be quick and deadly!

I use these for deer sized game in my .300 Winnie with great accuracy and results. I bump up to FP's TBBC in 200 grain for elk. These are my gun's favorite bullet for accuracy.

My experience has been that different rifles like different loads, different makers and different bullet weights.’
You may have to spend some time and money finding the one your gun likes, or it might like the first thing you run through it.
Small things can make a difference. For years, my .270 liked 150 grain stuff, almost any 150 shot better than any 130. Then I bedded it into a new stock and now it likes 130s best. It also now prefers the cheapest ammo over the expensive stuff. (go figure)
My .338 shoots almost everything OK, but it loves Barns “Vortex” 210s.
Like Mkoutr said “ Plan your bullet for the largest game the rifle may take” .
Pick a few factory loads that will do anything you might want the gun to do, and try them.

For a .300 WSM I would try;

Federal Premium Partitions and Trophy Bonded in 180 grain, and Barns Vortex 165 grain. Any of these will work well on any North American game, and 90% of anything else in the world.

When choosing ammo for your rifle, always think of it as a woman..... and get whatever 'she' likes. Anything else and it will come back to bite you sooner, or later ! :eek:

I shoot 150 grain Fusions out of my .308, 180 grain Power Shoks out of my .300 win mag, 117 grain power shoks out of my 25-06, and 150 grain core lokts out of my 30-06. I've tried hand loads for all of them, but the factory loads have shot better in average.

When choosing ammo for your rifle, always think of it as a woman..... and get whatever 'she' likes. Anything else and it will come back to bite you sooner, or later ! :eek:

This has been my experience. Here is what I feed mine, and they all shoot sub-moa. I always start with Federal, but have been having really good luck with the Barnes stuff.

Kimber 84L Select 30-06: Barnes Vor-tx 180grn TTSX
Tikka T3 7mm Rem: Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped 140grn (Shot Hornady interbonds well too but they discontinued the load)
Weatherby Accumark 270 Win: Barnes Vor-tx 130grn TTSX

I am diving into the world of handloading in the near future, but I will always know what factory loads shoot well in my rifles.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back