PEAX Equipment

Being labeled a trophy hunter

Most of the guys that say they are meat hunters are trophy hunters in disguise. They just consider all bucks trophies. That's why some will let several does walk by then shoot the first buck that comes along.

This comment is on the mark.
I will guarantee to if a big, tasty, fat doe is standing beside a tough meat, old gnarly horned buck, those same guys will shoot that buck every time and be the first to brag about their "trophy".

Just do your own thing, and let them do theirs.

You'll never hear me brag or even talk about a kill. I don't even own a camera.

Last edited:
the other thing I will add is to not condemn someone for being a meat hunter. Although I am not one, I do not want to impose my will on others. Well, come to think of it, I do have an exception....

A relative owns part of the land we hunt on. He is a farmer and would like to drop the deer population a little. He also likes shooting big bucks. Okay, that makes for a perfect deer management philosophy, right? Shoot the does and big bucks! Except he shoots little bucks every time. Then throws away the antlers. Ummmm.......?

For some people, I think they just get excited. nothing wrong with that! Others, I think they need to be able to brag that they shot "their buck".

My guess is there might be a little jealousy involved too with some of those guys. Sometimes it's best to keep things to yourself and do your own thing. There sure as hell ain't nothing wrong with killing the biggest buck you can find in my opinion. I do it every year, and I never waste any part of any animal I kill. It can be a hard thing to learn to do to not give a damn what other people think. I think it gets easier as you get older. Probably the only good thing about "The Golden Years"!

Interesting topic, great responses that I respect from all of you. I just like being outdoors and getting stuff with my family and did I mention I love bowhunting! I don't consider myself a trophy hunter or a meat hunter per-say. I consider myself an outdoorsman, for example did a pack goat trip for deer, passed up several velvet 3 points, passed a couple bigger bucks that had stripped there velvet, turned around the next weekend and shot a 2x3 when I went out with my kids. Yea I've got every deer i've shot displayed somehow on the wall, I don't think that make's me a trophy hunter? I like to think that i'm respecting the animal by displaying it, it fed my family and I enjoy every time I look at any of them. I get to recall that awesome hunt. Doesn't matter if it was a 2x2 or the picture of my wife's cow elk or my 200"+ velvet mule deer or my wife's 1x2 whitetail displayed on the same pedestal as my velvet mule deer. Every animal that gave it's life to feed my family and let me enjoy the "hunt" and outdoors - I call myself a Hunter!
Matt

I'm a trophy meat hunter... most of those "trophy" sized animals have more meat on them, in some cases significantly more. The difference between a 1-2yo bull/buck and a mature animal is 25-50% more meat. You would think those "meat" hunters would want to hold out for the most meat they can get?

We all hunt for different reasons, no sense in trying to justify your reason or explaining it to anyone, especially another hunter. Respect the animals, respect the land, and do you part to promote a positive image to non-hunters (both those that are like you and the "trophy" or "meat" hunter crowd. Understanding their point of view is valuable for discussion)

...referenced for no one in particular...just throwing it out there.

hum·ble·brag
ˈhəmbəlbraɡ/
noun
an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement whose actual purpose is to draw attention to something of which one is proud.
"social media status updates are basically selfies, humblebrags, and rants"
verb
make an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement with the actual intention of drawing attention to something of which one is proud.
"she humblebragged about how “awful” she looks without any makeup"

I see four categories:

(1) Trophy Hunter (Negative Connotation)- a person who hunts solely to acquire an animal with a large set of antlers. This person prioritizes antler acquisition above the need for a challenge, the thrill of the chase, or the experience in the woods. He often has little interest in the meat, except for as a necessary outcome of a hunt. He hunts within the law.

(2) Trophy Hunter (positive connotation)- a person who uses discretion in choosing the animal he will harvest because of the heightened challenge required in harvesting a more rare and wise quarry. This person is most interested in the experience of the hunt and the thrill that comes from pursuing mature animals. He values the meat but does not hunt solely for it. He obeys the law.

(3) Meat Hunter- a person who will shoot the first legal animal he encounters. This person values his time in the woods but prioritizes meat acquisition over a heightened challenge. He obeys the law.

(4) Poacher- the worst sort of trophy hunter. He who breaks the law in his lust after antlers. Has no value in the experience. Trespass, hunting out of season, and meat wasting is commonplace. Breaks the law regularly.

Now some people move between categories, especially as it relates to Meat Hunting v. Trophy Hunting (positive connotation). In my mind, someone is not a meat hunter if they are passing up any legal game animals. This person might still end up shooting a small animal and then claim he was "meat hunting" but that is not the case. The claim of meat hunting is a cover for a trophy hunter who did not find a trophy he was happy with yet he pulled the trigger anyway.

I think this is where the tension comes from. One does not need to shoot HUGE animals to be a trophy hunter. Trophy hunting simply means you are being selective in which animal you choose to harvest. The use of discretion reveals the search for a certain trophy. Whether an animal qualifies as a trophy is wholly in the eye of the beholder.

If you trophy hunt, do it in a positive way. If you are a meat hunter, then be honest about your intent. Neither is wrong by any means. The problem arises when people conflate one with the other or pretend to be one or the other.

Last edited:
I consider myself a trophy hunter until the last two days of my hunt, then I'll shot any buck. This is because in my state of NV we get only one chance at filling our tag. We have to pick our weapon and the seasons are usually 7-10 days long and we don't usually draw a tag every year. Some states allow you to keep hunting with a bow then a muzzleloader then a rifle till you fill your tag. We don't get to hunt 3-4 months with whatever weapon is in effect at that time til you fill your tag.
So maybe you could say I'm a hunter.

Last edited:
This is how I see it. Not only hunting but life in general. I dont give a rats ass about what other people think. As long as its legal its ok.

I see four categories:

(1) Trophy Hunter (Negative Connotation)- a person who hunts solely to acquire an animal with a large set of antlers. This person prioritizes antler acquisition above the need for a challenge, the thrill of the chase, or the experience in the woods. He often has little interest in the meat, except for as a necessary outcome of a hunt. He hunts within the law.

(2) Trophy Hunter (positive connotation)- a person who uses discretion in choosing the animal he will harvest because of the heightened challenge required in harvesting a more rare and wise quarry. This person is most interested in the experience of the hunt and the thrill that comes from pursuing mature animals. He values the meat but does not hunt solely for it. He obeys the law.

(3) Meat Hunter- a person who will shoot the first legal animal he encounters. This person values his time in the woods but prioritizes meat acquisition over a heightened challenge. He obeys the law.

(4) Poacher- the worst sort of trophy hunter. He who breaks the law in his lust after antlers. Has no value in the experience. Trespass, hunting out of season, and meat wasting is commonplace. Breaks the law regularly.

Now some people move between categories, especially as it relates to Meat Hunting v. Trophy Hunting (positive connotation). In my mind, someone is not a meat hunter if they are passing up any legal game animals. This person might still end up shooting a small animal and then claim he was "meat hunting" but that is not the case. The claim of meat hunting is a cover for a trophy hunter who did not find a trophy he was happy with yet he pulled the trigger anyway.

I think this is where the tension comes from. One does not need to shoot HUGE animals to be a trophy hunter. Trophy hunting simply means you are being selective in which animal you choose to harvest. The use of discretion reveals the search for a certain trophy. Whether an animal qualifies as a trophy is wholly in the eye of the beholder.

If you trophy hunt, do it in a positive way. If you are a meat hunter, then be honest about your intent. Neither is wrong by any means. The problem arises when people conflate one with the other or pretend to be one or the other.

I tend to agree with this "scale". I fall under (2) most of the time. I say that because here in Fl where my I am not limited on the number of deer I can shoot in a season. So first legal deer gets an arrow or bullet so I can put meat in the freezer especially if I am running low, which by the time season is opening I have generally been out of venision for a few months and if my brother is out I will shoot the first two legal deer. Then I move to the (2) status.

Although i don't really believe in different types of hyphenated hunters, if I had to be labeled as one or the other, I'm proudly a trophy hunter. Type #2 on Watt's list, I guess.
In being one, I get to hunt 30+ days per fall.

Shooting a raghorn bull on opening morning and a two point buck the next day every year sure sounds like a great way to utilize the full hunting season. Not

Last edited:
I hunt one property where if you shoot a buck you mount it. If you shoot an immature doe you get glares. There is no definition of a trophy hunter vs meat hunter. If I fly or drive 1700 miles to shoot a cow elk that still makes me a trophy hunter. Sometimes the meat is the trophy. Sometimes the trophy is the experience itself. Other times it is a set of antlers, large or small. If you tell the story of your hunt with a grin on your face it was a trophy. If you can't you should probably do a little soul searching.

I see four categories:

I find this interesting..I live for being in the field every day possible chasing Mule Deer so therefore I will not shoot the first legal deer...I hold out until my last few days...sometimes I find a "trophy" worthy of the wall and sometimes I put my tag on a meat deer. At the end of the day when I take a small animal I truly am "meat hunting"..if I get a trophy that is just a bonus, after all I enjoy a delicious back strap. I am not entirely sold on the whole "yet he pulled the trigger anyway"..I think there are some people that do this so you are right to a point...but it comes down to me holding out for a "trophy" because I love being outdoors for the max number of days possible chasing my favorite game animal. Ultimately I will shoot a meat deer because well....I like deer meat..I have shot some big deer, some small deer, and some does... I shot a fawn once and it was fantastic...I found it to be a "trophy" as far a meat quality but certainly nothing to hang on the wall.........

Last edited:
If harvesting mature animals makes you a trophy hunter then so be it. Leaving the young ones to grow up and contribute to the population is a good thing, they are the future of your herd. Just because you choose to harvest mature animals does not mean you only take trophy antlers. Good herd management entails taking out the undesirable traits, harvesting the cull deer.DSCN0554.jpg This mature buck was taken just for that reason. He is only 18 inches wide with poorly formed forks and we do not want his genes spreading in the herd.He is by far not considered a trophy on the property we manage but still a great buck for me. Trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. It takes a skilled hunter to harvest a mature animal, yearlings are not so hard. Maybe they just need to hone their hunting skills and are jealous of yours. Leaving the young deer ensures a healthy herd for the future, every wildlife management professional will tell you this. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and take the mature ones only.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back