Being labeled a trophy hunter

We eat wild game meat in my house in place of beef. In areas where there are enough deer I take does for meat as needed. The exception to that is when I'm buck hunting and I won't just hang my tag on any buck. If it's not old enough I pass and will eat it at the end of the season.

Not that I would really care but being labeled like the OP by another hunter would rub me the wrong way a bit. If you want to call yourself a meat hunter or trophy hunter more power to you as long as it's legal and responsible. No need to look down on someone just because they hunt for different reasons then you as long as the animal is put to proper use.

Well said. Hunting for food is a whole different game. I agree that being called a trophy hunter should not be a put down. We should all band together as ethical hunters no matter the reason why we hunt , food or trophies. We fill 3 freezers every year with game just so the beef we buy is a rare treat.

Hunt for whatever makes you happy as long as it is legal. Now. Here in the midwest a lot of people complain about how their ground they hunt rarely, if ever, holds big deer. These are the same people who constantly shoot 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks. You CANT have it both ways. Either let the bucks get age and maturity like what you seem to be doing, or shoot a small buck every season. Either is fine! But the people who complain about problems that they, themselves, are causing drives me crazy! You just have to set your objectives and philosophies and then live with the results. Finally, one thing I cannot stand is when I see or hear people saying that a kid should have let a young buck get bigger and that its a shame he shot it. These people are the lowest of low. Especially if a kid is happy and proud of what they killed. Hell I just got my first bull this year....an average at best 6x5...I was more proud of that dang thing! If its legal and makes you happy...then thats what hunting is about. :) I personally try to shoot deer that are 3.5 and bigger with my bow and then shoot does for meat. There are some years when I don't fill a buck tag...I am OK with that. Just my personal philosophy but it is no more right or wrong then the next guys.

I could never bad mouth a person for passing on a deer in the hopes of shooting one that's bigger. This isn't fishing so we don't have the option of throwing the small ones back. I also don't have any issues with a guy taking any legal animal if that's what gets him going.

My issue is with a mind set that seems to have taken over most outdoor television. It's the notion that if you don't have 500 acres with food plots, a dozen trail cams, and at least that many stands & blinds, you're not doing it right. Shows that I used to watch regularly have now degraded into a series of infomercials with pitch men and product placement designed to separate you from your money. We need more shows like OYOA that are more interested in telling a story than shilling for the sponsors. Just my thoughts!

For the OP. The hard part is understanding the perspective of the person with whom you were speaking. If for example, their hunt is motivated by meat first, then perhaps herd management sounds like a good deal of time, land and money.

It seems more accurate to say your hard work and patience can lead to trophy (aka special) results.

Calling you a trophy hunter sounds wrong, and derogatory, because that implies they know you as a hunter. So I agree with the forum consensus - water off a ducks back and just keep swimming.

Back