Bear Spray or Pistol? Both?

TAKE A GUN, be it a pistol or revolver (perhaps a shotgun or rifle). Use what you are most proficient, familiar, accurate, and quick with. A gun's projectile does not waver much at close range due to the winds. Spray can blow around, away, and also come back on yourself. That is not an option for me. I dang sure want 100% of my wits about me at a time like that. I'll unload the weapon(rapid firing) if need be. The closer the bear gets the less of a chance of missing it. The repeated loud noise might also work for you! But remember, dead bears don't attack twice!

Last edited:
TAKE A GUN, be it a pistol or revolver (perhaps a shotgun or rifle). Use what you are most proficient, familiar, accurate, and quick with. A gun's projectile does not waver much at close range to the winds. Spray can blow around, away, and also come back on yourself. That is not an option for me. I dang sure want my 100% of my wits about me at a time like that. I'll unload the weapon(rapid firing) if need be. The closer the bear gets the less of a chance of missing it. The repeated loud noise might also work for you! But remember, dead bears don't attack twice!

Doc Holiday On Bear Defense.jpg

How pissed was your taxidermist about having to pick the dirt and twigs off of that hide.
Another consideration is that a grizzly bear charging can be difficult to kill with a handgun.
To kill a close charging bear with the first shot into the brain or spine is expert shooting.
Off by a few inches and into an ear or shoulder could result in a mauling.
This grizzly shot with a rifle took over a dozen 180 gr nozler partitions, breaking teeth, both shoulders, before she finally died.
View attachment 186783

For me, bear spray on my chest attached to the bino harness, Glock 29 10mm on my hip (holster on hip pad of backpack). I guess I am comforted by having as many options as possible but I hope I never have to draw either one on a charging griz.

For those of you with actual grizzly experience, thank you all for sharing your stories. It has been interesting and sobering reading.

That guys is a LOUSY pistol operator. My only concern with bear spray is unintended self contamination. I do agree capacity is king over power.

I carried bear spray. Lighter than a pistol. Shooting a grizzly will result an inquiry where may need legal representation and return to the area which is not simple for a non-resident. Spray is easier to "hit" the target than a pistol. Police officers who train with their handgun more than most of us do not score 100% in actual close range gun fights. I doubt I can outperform them if a grizzly is charging. Stats on police: 18% hit rate. 1 in 6 shots and that 1 hit may not be lethal.
Bears are much bigger than people and a charging bear does not move laterally. Police shooting encompass all types of ranges and movements... a running, laterally moving human is a VERY TOUGH, target to hit at just about and range with a pistol.

Bears are much bigger than people and a charging bear does not move laterally. Police shooting encompass all types of ranges and movements... a running, laterally moving human is a VERY TOUGH, target to hit at just about and range with a pistol.
Good points. On the other hand, while the bear is not running like a nimble NFL running back, the bear may unexpectedly emerge from brush or from your peripheral as you hike using a headlamp while your gun is holstered. LEO are rarely ambushed with their handgun holstered. And the chamber is not empty. LEO often knows they are in a dicey situation so have their hand on their handgun or actually have drawn the handgun with the trigger finger just outside the trigger guard as are approaching the threat. A hunter hiking rarely has handgun in hand since is heavy and awkward for that 2 mile hike plus the trigger is at risk for snagging on brush or your pack belt. I hike with the chamber unloaded on my semi-auto but not everyone does since takes time to rack in the first load. Revolvers are less of an issue as just leave the chamber under the hammer empty. Brush or your pack belt snagging the trigger is no bueno if locked and loaded.

Good points. On the other hand, while the bear is not running like a nimble NFL running back, the bear may unexpectedly emerge from brush or from your peripheral as you hike using a headlamp while your gun is holstered. LEO are rarely ambushed with their handgun holstered. And the chamber is not empty. LEO often knows they are in a dicey situation so have their hand on their handgun or actually have drawn the handgun with the trigger finger just outside the trigger guard as are approaching the threat. A hunter hiking rarely has handgun in hand since is heavy and awkward for that 2 mile hike plus the trigger is at risk for snagging on brush or your pack belt. I hike with the chamber unloaded on my semi-auto but not everyone does since takes time to rack in the first load. Revolvers are less of an issue as just leave the chamber under the hammer empty. Brush or your pack belt snagging the trigger is no bueno if locked and loaded.
I’ve been a cop for 12yrs. Deadly force/ drawing gun is way more often a reaction to a stimulus than it is pre-emptive. Studies show reaction times between holstered and gun in hand lowered are no different. In general people don’t listen and are not very capable of taking direction from police, especially guilty ones, so we have to put hands on a lot. Having a gun in hand precludes that. Once its put away and we go hands on thats typically when things go south and then we are going to our weapon again, in response to an action from the suspect. Guns drawn serving a warrant is hollywood stuff, doesnt happen nearly as much as what i just described.

What type of holster do you have? I would never carry a gun unchambered for any reason. Especially if you dont train drawing, racking and shooting regularly. Under pressure you will forget, not to mention you are creating an opportunity for a malfunction right off the bat. At least chambered you get the first shot. If you are concerned about accidental discharges I would reconsider your holster choice. Something with positive retention not just friction or god forbid a snap button.

I think you can find inert cans still? Also, from one who has done this… my advice is to wash your hands immediately and NOT touch your eyes and nose, EVEN if you think their clean. OR you’ll find out why it will stop a bear getting a full blast to the face.

i also learned that short, downward blasts vs waiting till it’s right in your face. Apparently, downward because bears charge with heads downward? That is, IF you have the time. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sorry, I was rolling through the messages on this topic again and came across the above post. It reminds me of a time I can now look back and laugh from early academy days...

Approx 3' width shack. Car 10 yards away. Redman (Instructor roleplaying bad guy in "red" colored nerf padded protective armor) at front of car.
Recruit enters shack and a second later gets a face full of spray from Instructor behind a plexi barrier approx 1-2 yards from cadet.
I unintentionally shift my head to the side to avoid the spray as much as possible, still getting doused pretty good and immediately step out of the shack to take on the Redman...
Recruit Sytes! Get back in that shack and do not move your head! Do not leave the shack until directed!
UGH!... I return already feeling the effects from the first and PLOW! A nice dose directly and seemed a hell of a long time before I was authorized to leave the shack...
Instructor set example for the other recruits - Never be that recruit!> Once example concluded (I swear it was reflexive more than intentional... haha!) Step out and find the redman on me from another location than I first saw him... Instructors really wanted to set the example!

Dawn spray bottles and hose for decon.

That's not the only humor for this specific event.

Thank God I listened to the Instructors at the beginning regarding decon!!! The bus arrived to transport us back to the locker room / shower facility. Some of the recruits went right to the shower and on down ran OC to their crotch area... Oh man! Haha!

Moral of the story... if the wind isn't kind to you and you get doused to a degree... DO NOT SHOWER! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

How is this even a debate!?! The correct answer is a pistol. Not because it's more efficient at self-defense, but because who doesn't need an excuse to add a .41 magnum to their gun cabinet.

But the part of a bear that you need to put a bullet in to immediately stop it from chewing on you is much, much smaller than a human.

who doesn't need an excus
Thankfully these threads spawn annually around the same month. If we train ourselves to speak of a different best pistol, rifle, or shotgun we might get away with it... well, others might. My wife's onto my gun shinnanigans. Just gives me that stare until my wanker cowers between my inner thigh.

So let’s say you’ve got an elk down in sketch grizz country with 2+ people.
Is there any benefit to appointing 1 guy as lookout and just having him sit on the rifle while you do the gutting and gilling?

So let’s say you’ve got an elk down in sketch grizz country with 2+ people.
Is there any benefit to appointing 1 guy as lookout and just having him sit on the rifle while you do the gutting and gilling?
That’s exactly what I’ve done before.

When necessary in places that are truly grizzly central.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back