Bear spray carry

Talk2elk

I carry bear spray on my waist belt of my backpack. Something happened that I never thought of. Coming back from an elk hunt I tripped over a branch going through a clear cut and fell. The thing is during the fall my trigger broke off the canister and discharged and their was no way of stopping it. I tried my best to get out of my pack as quick as possible but it still got me pretty good. It took about 20 minutes before I could open my eyes, to say the least it really sucked. I am thinking carrying it on my bino harness as it might be more protected during a fall. If that should happen to you, remain calm after some time it will wear off to a point of seeing again. Two liters of water in my bladder didn't help much. What is your preferred way to carry.

Being in CO primarily I normally don’t carry it. On that note, I was amazed at how many hunters I ran into this last week that were carrying it in the backcountry, especially with how much deadfall they were navigating. Guess people don’t know much about black bears 🤷🏽‍♂️

I carry bear spray on my waist belt of my backpack. Something happened that I never thought of. Coming back from an elk hunt I tripped over a branch going through a clear cut and fell. The thing is during the fall my trigger broke off the canister and discharged and their was no way of stopping it. I tried my best to get out of my pack as quick as possible but it still got me pretty good. It took about 20 minutes before I could open my eyes, to say the least it really sucked. I am thinking carrying it on my bino harness as it might be more protected during a fall. If that should happen to you, remain calm after some time it will wear off to a point of seeing again. Two liters of water in my bladder didn't help much. What is your preferred way to carry.
dang what an experience!

I carry it on my bino harness. I carry it vertically though. I had it on my pack for a long time but I got tired of remembering to take it out of the holster and putting it in my cargo pocket when I took my pack off.

Nothing useful to add here (I just ordered an under-bino-harness attachment), but reading this, all I can picture is a guy in the woods trying to get his pack off with a constant spray of fog shooting straight up from his hip belt. I'm imagining myself rolling on the ground laughing so hard if it happened to a hunting buddy while I was around. Glad you survived.

Being in CO primarily I normally don’t carry it. On that note, I was amazed at how many hunters I ran into this last week that were carrying it in the backcountry, especially with how much deadfall they were navigating. Guess people don’t know much about black bears 🤷🏽‍♂️

It's because some Australian guy told a bunch of people there are griz here...there are by the way, several hikers have told me so in the last couple years.

I have lost the safety clip on my bear spray due to going through thick brush. Did not notice until I got home and bumped the trigger unloading the truck. Ended up spraying the outside garage wall and cleared out my sinuses. Have been with 2 other guys that have lost their clips as well. Damn brushy North Idaho.

Nothing useful to add here (I just ordered an under-bino-harness attachment), but reading this, all I can picture is a guy in the woods trying to get his pack off with a constant spray of fog shooting straight up from his hip belt. I'm imagining myself rolling on the ground laughing so hard if it happened to a hunting buddy while I was around. Glad you survived.

Like Reply
  • HahaLooking back it would have been hilarious to witness as it was total chaos for a few seconds.
Reactions:JLS

Just as I continuously check my firearm for safety-on and carrying condition, similarly I check my bear spray often to try to prevent mishaps as described above.

It ain't rocket science ... 'just pepperaredness!

Guess it only works on grizzlies? 😏

On the hip (about 2’oclock) in case of rapid deployment and I can’t get it out in time.

Guess it only works on grizzlies? 😏
I just don’t see the benefit of carrying something that adds weight with the risk of it deploying accidentally while going through thick timber… all for a bear that once you make you presence known will hightail it out of there and away from you.

That said, if it makes you feel safer who am I to judge? Do you, booboo.

What is your preferred way to carry.
Off hand location so my gun hand is ready. Best of both worlds.

Regarding your situation - chit simply sometimes happens. To snap the safety AND continuous spray is a rare setting, imo/e.

Had a friend driving her jeep and the damn thing burst in the back!

I keep it on my left hip, swaps between hip/shoulder strap pack and backpacks as needed. My handgun is on my bino harness.

Had a brand new hunter spray the inside of my camper with bear spray the night before opening morning of our deer hunt a couple years back. After an hour drive to the nearest dollar store and a couple hours of scrubbing, we could at least sleep in it. The handle of the oven was the perfect height to knock off the safety tab and then catch the trigger when he stepped forward, sending an orange cloud straight into the camper.

That camper still smelled spicy when I sold it last year.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back