Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bear spray carry

My teenagers went backpacking and when they got home they threw all the packs in a pile on the floor. When they went to sort them out, the bear spray on the hip belt of one of the packs was either missing or got pulled off and the trigger was simultaneously bumped. Apparently it was less than a second of spray, but we had to evacuate the house and open all the windows and doors. For months and many hikes later we had throat/nose irritation every time we touched the packs that were sprayed and the dog came away sneezing and rubbing her nose anytime her toys ended-up in that corner of the room. It's powerful stuff. I can't imagine getting a full shot in the face.

I heard that carrying bear spray is nothing but a card trick especially in grizz country. Them grizzles are killing machines. I' take my chances with the rifle at hand, not straped on my pack. Just my 3 cents.

It's because some Australian guy told a bunch of people there are griz here...there are by the way, several hikers have told me so in the last couple years.
When I lved in Colorado there was conformation that a grizzly had been killed. Trying to remember where and think it was in the south west area. I have never even seen a can of bear spray in a store. maybe I'm simply not looking close enough. Something about hunter's with packs. I have read a number of time over the years about hunters carrying a handgun for protection and a number of them claimed to carry it in their pack. Makes a lot of sense to me! All I can think is maybe the idea is to spot the animal off far enough to have time to remove the pack and dig out the gun? Where do people get this stuff anyway?

You're kidding, right? Every sporting good store and Walmart, and apparently grocery stores in WY, have bear spray and have been selling it for years.
I kind of though that but really have never seen a can in a store. Have to go to town later this week and I'll see if I can find some. pretty sure Sportsmans Warehouse will have it but probably have to ask. Someone mention that they had heard bear spray just wasn't that effective. I'd think if all I had was bear spray and a pocket knife I'd reach for the spray first.

Had roughly the same thing happen. Carried on the waist band of the main pack. Dropped the pack. safety catch came off
and trigger tripped. happend twice in the same week with that can. first the pack, then me. Awful stuff. The gift that keeps on giving.
Someone on here had a suggestion of special soap of some sort that I used. can't remember the name. It worked well but until you use it the residue will
keep heating you up like a hot plate. I found out the hard way water doesn't help.
I am not as eager to carry it anymore. I see folks carry it on the bino harness. Am moving the side arm to the bino harness so things are already
alittle full up front. feel like I have grown chubby w/ all the stuff attached

UDAP makes this for removal but don’t know of anybody who has tried it 2EFD39C5-E5E1-4B05-8774-FCDA487E8EDE.jpegIn defense training they (reg pepper spray, not necessarily “bear strength” to use baby shampoo on face and Dawn detergent on clothes again no experience here doing either🤷🏻‍♂️

Carried a can for20 years on the job, never had it go off accidentally Or negligently. Carried a can for another twenty guiding in Alaska, same result. Had one of my officers flirting with the judges clerk during recess. He leaned against the counter and discharged his can right into her face. At least once a summer a guest up in Alaska would test their can in their cabin, really!
Guiding I carried it every day, used it too. I carried it on my wading belt, weak hand draw. I also carry the can upside down so the safety or valve can’t be damaged.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back