Bear Spray or Pistol? Both?

Gerald Martin

I thought this was a pretty thought provoking video to address this question.

IMO, it reinforces my conclusion (based on one experience of being false charged) that if you aren’t aware of the bear before it begins its charge it will get you if it wants to.

Being aware is more important than what you use for protection.

I carried bear spray. Lighter than a pistol. Shooting a grizzly will result an inquiry where may need legal representation and return to the area which is not simple for a non-resident. Spray is easier to "hit" the target than a pistol. Police officers who train with their handgun more than most of us do not score 100% in actual close range gun fights. I doubt I can outperform them if a grizzly is charging. Stats on police: 18% hit rate. 1 in 6 shots and that 1 hit may not be lethal.

Just ordered spray with a practice canister last weekend. Good video, I want the quick draw to become second nature.

This year will be my first foray into real griz country. I’m gonna go spray during the day and pistol in the tent at night. I need practice with both.

I previously listened to an interview with Todd Orr. Frightening.

One of the biggest takeaways from this video for me was how fast that cardboard bear got on him, and that was only 2/3 speed of a real bear charge.

This fall will be my first time hunting in grizz country and my son and I will have both. That’s the other thing: having someone else with you to back you up or help get one off of you. I sure as hell wouldn’t hunt in grizz country alone.

I’ve got a 10mm 1911 that I like a lot. However, switching from round nose to flat nose ammo (which my Buffalo Bore ammo is) has resulted in more feed jams. Making me reconsider the revolver.

I previously listened to an interview with Todd Orr. Frightening.

One of the biggest takeaways from this video for me was how fast that cardboard bear got on him, and that was only 2/3 speed of a real bear charge.

This fall will be my first time hunting in grizz country and my son and I will have both. That’s the other thing: having someone else with you to back you up or help get one off of you. I sure as hell wouldn’t hunt in grizz country alone.

I’ve got a 10mm 1911 that I like a lot. However, switching from round nose to flat nose ammo (which my Buffalo Bore ammo is) has resulted in more feed jams. Making me reconsider the revolver.
Have you tried a heavier recoil spring with BB ammo?

I carry spray and a P80 10mm loaded with 220 grain Underwood.

for what ever it’s worth; I’ve been guiding in the Bristol Bay Area for 20 years; also a retired 20 year swat veteran, state and nationally certified fire arms instructor, I see grizz every day, I’ll spray several over the summer but only had to shoot one in the last 20 years. I carry a gun and spray but if I had to choose I’d take spray.

I carry both. Spray primary except in the tent. Also carry 44mag with hard cast Buffalo bore rounds. My only close encounter was in MT when we got “huffed at” by a bear, But didn’t get eyes on it. Made every hair on my body stand on end. I’ve been huffed at by black bears in CO before...all I can say is this one was different. Hope I never have to see one at close range let alone charging. Keeping your head about you and not panicking would be both the best and hardest thing to do in that situation.

Scout stayed by my side and continued his low growl. I drew my gun and cross rest over my OC in the other hand. Then... it veered off the trail, uphill... would have preferred downside though not a choice I get to make - haha!
This was from last year's Bob sled...

Comes with practice though for anyone trained with holding a flashlight and handgun at the same time... I think this is the best of both worlds for dealing with Bears.

On the other side of the coin, Just this year, Biologists, Federal and State fish and game, etc shot a griz who threatened them. The key note: the griz died at 20 yards from the people. That's a dead bear outside the maximum/bordering the trained and instruction based use of bear spray. Basically, while bear spray was likely present on these trained backcountry people, the griz was not in any way within the range to see if the bear spray would be effective before it was killed... They didn't wait for the Bear to get into range of bear spray before they let loose the lead.

Going to be hard to argue against the Joe/Jane who shoot, none the less kill the bear dead at 20 yards.

Last edited:
for what ever it’s worth; I’ve been guiding in the Bristol Bay Area for 20 years; also a retired 20 year swat veteran, state and nationally certified fire arms instructor, I see grizz every day, I’ll spray several over the summer but only had to shoot one in the last 20 years. I carry a gun and spray but if I had to choose I’d take spray.
What is your opinion about me bringing my 8-year-old son on elk hunts in Grizz country? Now I'm reconsidering for his safety.

I am legally able to carry a handgun " wilderness" , but I dont. I do carry spray and a lever action rifle. I also have a well trained Boykin who doesn't chase or bark, but will growl when he smells one and that gives me an early warning. Grizzlies are usually bluffing and or protecting, Polars are curious or hungry, and Blacks are stupid and by far the biggest pain in the neck. I would take both if I was you, since you legally can and I dont "yet" have a problem with weight, so why not. I dont know how strict your DOLP laws are, but if they are strict, that is another reason to use spray.

Also, dont just buy spray and take it without practicing with it on an imaginary bear. Wind is a factor, at least for us, so keep that in mind.

What is your opinion about me bringing my 8-year-old son on elk hunts in Grizz country? Now I'm reconsidering for his safety.
I have no problem with this. We take children younger than 8 with us---but--obviously it depends on how wilderness wise they are
as I have stated before, this gentleman has been there and done that and might be spraying one as I type. good man to listen to.

He was spraying and shooting bears before I was born. ;)

I wanted to add, if you carry, make it a chest carry, and practice shooting an imaginary bear before you go--a lot. Caliber and bullet selection are also important.

Last edited:
I don't hunt/backpack in bear country often, but when I do it's both. It used to be just a pistol, then I had a long chat with a buddy while steelhead fishing, that also guides up in AK for moose and bear, specifically picking his brain as I'm planning a caribou trip in AK. He gave me lots of great advice, centered around spray and pistol, and where to carry both on your body. His main point, after being mauled himself, the spray is to try and stop a charge, the pistol is for when the spray doesn't work and the bear is on you.

He's a big proponent of a chest holster for pistols as well. That way it's always on you, and in his case, while he curled up in the fetal position during the attack, he couldn't get to his pistol on his hip, but definitely could have if it was in a chest holster.

Take it with a grain of salt... this isn't first hand knowledge or experience from me. Just passing along info from what I consider a very good source.

Teach him how to use the spray with a practice cannister or 7.

Disclaimer: I never spawned any spawn so I dont know what their motor functions are like at this age. Are they walking yet or still in a stroller? 🤪

This was from last year's Bob sled...

Comes with practice though for anyone trained with holding a flashlight and handgun at the same time... I think this is the best of both worlds for dealing with Bears.

On the other side of the coin, Just this year, Biologists, Federal and State fish and game, etc shot a griz who threatened them. The key note: the griz died at 20 yards from the people. That's a dead bear outside the maximum/bordering the trained and instruction based use of bear spray. Basically, while bear spray was likely present on these trained backcountry people, the griz was not in any way within the range to see if the bear spray would be effective before it was killed... They didn't wait for the Bear to get into range of bear spray before they let loose the lead.

Going to be hard to argue against the Joe/Jane who shoot, none the less kill the bear dead at 20 yards.

Two points regarding this:
First, the bear had already attacked a person who died as a result. Likely the investigating team already had extermination as a priority.
Second, twenty yards proximity from a fast moving attacking bear will not afford deployment of bear spray or a firearm. That is why parties of two or more are recommended, with someone back from the twenty-yard zone with bear spray to attempt to thwart the attack and get the bear to discontinue attacking.

Two points regarding this:
First, the bear had already attacked a person who died as a result. Likely the investigating team already had extermination as a priority.
Second, twenty yards proximity from a fast moving attacking bear will not afford deployment of bear spray or a firearm. That is why parties of two or more are recommended, with someone back from the twenty-yard zone with bear spray to attempt to thwart the attack and get the bear to discontinue attacking.
The assumption you use, this was the bear. This occurred on their hike... not at the location. This bear, they found was protecting a moose kill of his.

Charging bear:
A great point... the scenarios used for a griz in most gun vs spray IS a charging bear.

I was six when at my fathers side he killed a bear coming into our tent up on the Yukon. There are kids all over Alaska/Canada bush communities, Rocky Mountain grizz areas as well. Rare anything happens. Very possible to make them woods wise. I think your son is in more danger getting to your hunting area.

The assumption you use, this was the bear. This occurred on their hike... not at the location. This bear, they found was protecting a moose kill of his.
If you are referring to the article and the Bakers Hole incident, it was not a "hike" it was an investigation which did reveal a moose carcass, likely defended also as the first person was attacked. The investigators were charged and killed the bear ... the very same bear which had attacked the fisherman / photographer. It was later confirmed.

@Gerald Martin

Thanks for the PSA. This will be my first year in any bear country, so I am bringing both. BTW, my daughter misread the bear spray can and asked why I bought bear detergent. Can says deterrent. I said, bears can be pretty dirty and I just want to clean them up a little bit. She said that was nice.

The cardboard demonstration was eye-opening. Heading to the range this weekend.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back