Bear Spray or Pistol? Both?

I hope you never have to use your strategy and I never have to use mine. My point is a bear can take a lot of punishment. Even if it will die, it can certainly take you with it unless you disconnect the brain.
"... the 400 to 500 pound momentum of the claws, paws, and jaws mauling by a wounded ..." but not yet stopped in its tracks bear.

What's the alternative? Sure pray though beyond that... roll the dice?
That's what I'm not following in this debate. Gun vs oc. Your using an example - on the person. Slide the oc out of the long spandex type holster, pull the tab and skunk away? That would be a challenge while getting beat on - to stay focused to get that tab out to press the plunger.
Sure - If that's all I had, that's what I'd go for. However, if handgun pulled from holster and 9+ rounds at point blank...

Seems to suggest, ride it out and pray to live. Granted, it's worked... then again it's not worked.

What's the alternative? Sure pray though beyond that... roll the dice?
That's what I'm not following in this debate. Gun vs oc. Your using an example - on the person. Slide the oc out of the long spandex type holster, pull the tab and skunk away? That would be a challenge while getting beat on - to stay focused while getting beat on to get that tab out to press the plunger.
Sure - If that's all I had, that's what I'd go for. However, if handgun pulled from holster and 9+ rounds at point blank...

Seems to suggest, ride it out and pray to live. Granted, it's worked... then again it's not worked.
It’s not really a debate, I’m just saying that pumping handgun rounds into the body of a bear is not going to stop it.

I carry a pistol too, but given the wind isn’t blowing in my face I’m pulling spray first.

Just had a little bit of bear spray knowledge… If at all possible spray downward towards the ground on an angle so it covers 30-40 yards distance. Bears come at ya with its head down. You want it to hit some residual spray in the air, not a stream that’s gone over it’s head.

Also, I heard that you’re supposed to spray a couple bursts. Say the bear was 40 yards away from you, start making noise (and do above)… If the bear persists… empty the canister.

At that point I’d recommend shouldering the rifle.

If that doesn’t work… see attached instructions.

Attachments

• EA164BA1-9F51-4E23-9349-C86A89F754A0.jpeg
    EA164BA1-9F51-4E23-9349-C86A89F754A0.jpeg
    824.5 KB · Views: 10
View attachment 195808Pretty high likelihood I’ll run out of beer reading this amusing thread before the griz gets me.

“Is that you John Wayne?”

“Is this me?”
You've survived making 13,000+ posts w/o getting keeled by griz, woof, lion, and mice. The keg's run out.

As Wayne pointed out, Tomorrow is the most important thing in life

Does anyone have any thoughts to share on the Glock 20 vs Glock 40 with MOS? My thougths with the 40 is slighly longer slide, equalling less muzzle flip...

Trade off is the extra weight 4.76oz and 1.41" extra length in the slide.

I plan on carrying it in a Kenai Gunfighter chest holster... so I don't know if that extra length is cumbersome??

Lastly, on the 40, I can do MOS... but I am not sure if in cold weather that fogs up? Especially wearing it close to the body in the chest holster?

Either way... I plan on doing Buffalo Bore Hardcast.

A trekking pole worked for one guy. Maybe not everyone. All the planning you may have of I'm gonna shoot em with such and such is out the window when shit hits the fan . Good luck to all.

How would everyone's answer change if the primary predator were mountain lions instead of bears? Being in So Cal bears, locally, are obviously not an issue but we have quite a population of mountain lions and, in recent years, run-ins have become more frequent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back