MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bear Spray or Pistol? Both?

Agreed. But last thing I’d want is my buddy taking a shot at a bear with pistol and rifle while it’s on me. I’d be happier taking a face of pepper spray vs a bullet.
You will recover from a shot of bear spray much easier and more quickly than a bullet in your ... whatever!

(And there's not much more ferocious than a pi$$ed-off wounded bear.)

Now to what I carry. Bear spray and a 10mm G20 in a gunfighterInc Kenai holster. I decided a 15 round capacity was better that the S&W 329 44Mag with 6 rounds.
With grizzlies expanding closer to my hunting area, I have been reading a lot about bear defense methods. Handgun capacity is something I have thought about a lot. In the video that started this thread, it looked like he had difficulty getting more than 3 shots in the allowed time. (11:45 in video) That has me wondering if the power of one bullet may be more important than the number of cartridges available to shoot.

Is there a scenario you have in mind where so many rounds would be helpful?

Maybe for someone like me with minimal handgun experience, it doesn't matter anyway given the low chances of a CNS hit from any handgun I may carry. I'd need LOTS of practice and training like is shown in the video before a pistol would likely to be an advantage for me.

With grizzlies expanding closer to my hunting area, I have been reading a lot about bear defense methods. Handgun capacity is something I have thought about a lot. In the video that started this thread, it looked like he had difficulty getting more than 3 shots in the allowed time. (11:45 in video) That has me wondering if the power of one bullet may be more important than the number of cartridges available to shoot.

Maybe for someone like me with minimal handgun experience, it doesn't matter anyway given the low chances of a CNS hit from any handgun I may carry. I'd need LOTS of practice and training like is shown in the video before a pistol would likely to be an advantage for me.
I agree. If you only have time for 1 thing, I’d choose the spray over the bullet.

Heard that bears sense of smell is 2100x stronger than a humans, so I’d think the spray is going to be further reaching in stopping an attack.

previous to this comment I was thinking about carrying a pistol in addition to my rifle. Now I’m convinced that I won’t carry any pistol but just bear spray and my rifle.

A suggestion. Buy an extra can of bear spray take it it to a wide open place and fire it off a couple times down wind so you know how it works and what to expect. You would not take a gun without knowing how to use it. Just a thought from an old man who is not as quick and handy as he used to be. “Wait a minute bear until I understand the instructions!”

A suggestion. Buy an extra can of bear spray take it it to a wide open place and fire it off a couple times down wind so you know how it works and what to expect. You would not take a gun without knowing how to use it. Just a thought from an old man who is not as quick and handy as he used to be. “Wait a minute bear until I understand the instructions!”
I think you can find inert cans still? Also, from one who has done this… my advice is to wash your hands immediately and NOT touch your eyes and nose, EVEN if you think their clean. OR you’ll find out why it will stop a bear getting a full blast to the face.

i also learned that short, downward blasts vs waiting till it’s right in your face. Apparently, downward because bears charge with heads downward? That is, IF you have the time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As a follow up suggestion, be entirely cognizant of wind direction, to include any strange drafts and swirls something like a roof eave could create.

downward because bears charge with heads downward?
The USFS bear-aware and bear spray deployment instructor with the mechanical attacking bear advises to shoot downward in front of the bear as then the bear enters a rising cloud of spray to be ingested. Spraying directly at the head of the bear often is ineffective.

I worked for the FS for the specific intent to patrol the Bridger-Teton Wilderness (adjacent to YNP) to inform and cite violators of Griz camp settings not in compliance. Outfitters, private parties, etc.
My partner and I horse packed in 8 day sessions with a few days off and back in... repeat.

We personally faced griz on a few occasions though our biggest threat of all events was a bull moose walking towards us on a narrow stretch while our horses perked, an indicator something interesting ahead. That was our fortunate side of no injuries and we had a great horse manager @ Blackrock Ranger Station.
Long story short... he snorted, scuffed his hooves and we managed to back away (with a pack animal each in tow) enough giving him the high road... he took it.

Another occasion, my partner was returning to our camp. She was saying something I couldn't understand. I was cooking up some pork chops. She finally arrived and pointed behind me. A sow and cub were side walking the hill behind me. "I was trying to tell you get the camera". Haha!

Point of the deal, griz avoid us as much as possible.
Griz typically beat the snot out of a human though when they feel the threat is gone... they move on.

Incidents: Sprayed one, though fogged the area is a better explanation. S/he got a whiff and off s/he ran.

We had a false charge... spray and s/he chose to make that the only charge and ran off.

I believe bear spray is a must. Sidearm is optional.
I carry both. Rifle or archery season, my handgun and OC are always on me.

I've run into one packing a trail, as s/he starred and began the standing position to wind me, I moved to a dead log, prepped both spray and gun. Always keep the pack on.
If crap hit the fan, the pack takes a couple blows.

A old salt outfitter in the deep area shared this...
You spray, and it continues, it's Iikely a beating (spray and pray). You shoot and wound... and it continues, you're in for it beyond a few smacks. So if you shoot, be sure and don't stop shooting.

Food for thought.

My preference is to have both... lf one gives the chance, I'll give a 2 second fog (pending wind). Might be all it takes... or might be the trigger for s/he to charge. If I can, I'll unload the OC otherwise, lead is flying... if on me, lead still flies.

I carry both spray and a sidearm, but I don’t delude myself into thinking that either are really going to be effective if I’m surprised by a charging bear. Carrying those things mostly just gives me a false sense of security that allows me to better enjoy the 99.99999% odds that I’m not going to have a negative encounter.

I carry both spray and a sidearm, but I don’t delude myself into thinking that either are really going to be effective if I’m surprised by a charging bear. Carrying those things mostly just gives me a false sense of security that allows me to better enjoy the 99.99999% odds that I’m not going to have a negative encounter.
Pretty much my thought as well, but at least it gives you some options since you never know how any scenario will play out.

I worked for the FS for the specific intent to patrol the Bridger-Teton Wilderness (adjacent to YNP) to inform and cite violators of Griz camp settings not in compliance. Outfitters, private parties, etc.
My partner and I horse packed in 8 day sessions with a few days off and back in... repeat.

We personally faced griz on a few occasions though our biggest threat of all events was a bull moose walking towards us on a narrow stretch while our horses perked, an indicator something interesting ahead. That was our fortunate side of no injuries and we had a great horse manager @ Blackrock Ranger Station.
Long story short... he snorted, scuffed his hooves and we managed to back away (with a pack animal each in tow) enough giving him the high road... he took it.

Another occasion, my partner was returning to our camp. She was saying something I couldn't understand. I was cooking up some pork chops. She finally arrived and pointed behind me. A sow and cub were side walking the hill behind me. "I was trying to tell you get the camera". Haha!

Point of the deal, griz avoid us as much as possible.
Griz typically beat the snot out of a human though when they feel the threat is gone... they move on.

Incidents: Sprayed one, though fogged the area is a better explanation. S/he got a whiff and off s/he ran.

We had a false charge... spray and s/he chose to make that the only charge and ran off.

I believe bear spray is a must. Sidearm is optional.
I carry both. Rifle or archery season, my handgun and OC are always on me.

I've run into one packing a trail, as s/he starred and began the standing position to wind me, I moved to a dead log, prepped both spray and gun. Always keep the pack on.
If crap hit the fan, the pack takes a couple blows.

A old salt outfitter in the deep area shared this...
You spray, and it continues, it's Iikely a beating (spray and pray). You shoot and wound... and it continues, you're in for it beyond a few smacks. So if you shoot, be sure and don't stop shooting.

Food for thought.

My preference is to have both... lf one gives the chance, I'll give a 2 second fog (pending wind). Might be all it takes... or might be the trigger for s/he to charge. If I can, I'll unload the OC otherwise, lead is flying... if on me, lead still flies.
What handgun are you carrying?

What handgun are you carrying?
That's a loaded question for the hunting internet forum crowd. So many personal preferences.

Speaking for myself and not as any form of endorsement, I believe the 220-grain hard-cast 10mm is the best round for bear defense.
However, while I preach the 10mm as the best...
I am very set and comfortable with my Glock 27 G4 as my common carry and shoot a very similar round as the 10mm, a 200-grain hard-cast (.40) Buffalo Bore brand.
Velocity and ft #'s is what it boils down to along with frequent shooting.

So many guns all with their pros (and cons).
I know... your .45, .50, .357mag, .44mag are all good guns. All with quality loads. I'm not knocking any choice.

For me, frequency of use, weight, size, and ammo choices are the deciding factors.

A 9mm? No. Just my two coppers worth of thought.

What about after the initial attack? I trust that if Todd Orr had not lost his gun in the second attack he would have been slinging lead from his face down position if at all possible. I’ve only had one close encounter with a grizzly though have seen and been in the same neighborhood a few times on horseback and afoot.
Though it may be unfounded I feel like I at least have a chance with a pistol and spray. (It sucks if one gets caught up in the fear of maybe a chance encounter especially if hunting alone. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Last edited:
I think you can find inert cans still? Also, from one who has done this… my advice is to wash your hands immediately and NOT touch your eyes and nose, EVEN if you think their clean. OR you’ll find out why it will stop a bear getting a full blast to the face.

i also learned that short, downward blasts vs waiting till it’s right in your face. Apparently, downward because bears charge with heads downward? That is, IF you have the time. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Tip: Wash up with olive oil. Water and soap does not remove the pepper spray very well, instead just moving it around. The olive oil will bind to and help dissolve the capsaicin oils - let it soak on your hands for a few minutes THEN wash it off with soap and water. MUCH more effective.

General tip. Keep in mind if you are ever sprayed or have a can of bear spray explode on you.

Tip: Wash up with olive oil. Water and soap does not remove the pepper spray very well, instead just moving it around. The olive oil will bind to and help dissolve the capsaicin oils - let it soak on your hands for a few minutes THEN wash it off with soap and water. MUCH more effective.

General tip. Keep in mind if you are ever sprayed or have a can of bear spray explode on you.
Baby soap works if you get it in your eyes, which absolutely sucks.

I thought this was a pretty thought provoking video to address this question.

IMO, it reinforces my conclusion (based on one experience of being false charged) that if you aren’t aware of the bear before it begins its charge it will get you if it wants to.

Being aware is more important than what you use for protection.
i think the answer for most people is bear spray but since the video was sponsored by Taurus, obviously Meateater wouldn't take a strong stance

spoke with a few wardens in Montana who said bear spray all day is the answer for 99% of people. Said grizzlies are way faster than they appear charging. at most you'll only get to fire one shot before it's on you.

he knew of one man back in the 80's who successfully stopped a griz with a pistol and the dude was a legend. the guy said you only get one shot so make it count. He said you pretty much need to draw your pistol, lock out your arm and hold it out at a slightly downward angle and only shoot when the bear is abount to make contact with you. That will be your only chance at a real shot that can stop a charging griz

almost no one has this much faith, skill, and nerve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back