Bear Spray or Pistol? Both?

Shotgun is the best protective tool from griz... as with any tool, comfort comes with any/every item intended to save a life... be it spray, handgun, or long gun.

There's a reason FWP in MT and elsewhere keep an 870 / other shotgun in their arsenal. They're not carrying the M4 when investigating a griz incident.

Weight wise, no chance in hell, less horseback, would I lug the weight of a shotgun into the Bob. Handgun and bearspray.
Spray a good haze.and if it continues charging... time to let the lead fly. I'm not popping pistol rounds 25-30 yards out. Rifle? If time permits... yep. It charges - lead flies
They destroy problem bears on Kodiak with a standard patrol rifle and FMJs. More or less hit them with as many round as they can to break their bones and anchor them while they die. Don't have to get nearly as close to put them down that way. I've shot one bear at work, granted it was a large black bear. The little 62gr Gold Dot did the trick and the bear never knew what hit it. And not that I'm going to start carrying an AR for bears while hunting any time soon (nor am I going to carry a shotgun), but after talking to my coworker who was the first on scene at Soda Butte and found Kammer's body along the creek after following the drag marks from the tent, he'd happily have given up his Mag Lite and 870 for his current duty rifle.

@YoungGun sounds like that works fine for your area.
It presents various opinions... right, that's your opinion, shotgun is my opinion. We base our opinions based on our experience via work, home, education, study, etc. I respect you have a different opinion. I would expect the same.

Here's an interesting article.
. Subjective of course though based on the credentials... worth the share. Touches on both. Rifle and shotgun along with other options. ;)

... after talking to my coworker who was the first on scene at Soda Butte and found Kammer's body along the creek after following the drag marks from the tent, he'd happily have given up his Mag Lite and 870 for his current duty rifle.
Did he also tell you that many of us would have liked to throw some buckshot at those friggin road construction workers who had been feeding bears campground treats for entertainment at Doe Creek?!!!

@YoungGun sounds like that works fine for your area.
It presents various opinions... right, that's your opinion, shotgun is my opinion. We base our opinions based on our experience via work, home, education, study, etc. I respect you have a different opinion. I would expect the same.

Here's an interesting article.
. Subjective of course though based on the credentials... worth the share. Touches on both. Rifle and shotgun along with other options. ;)

I certainly respect anyone’s option/opinion to carry what they feel most comfortable with. I don’t intent to argue that the little .223 is going to replace a larger caliber such as the .375 Ruger or .375 H&H or other large magnum rifle / shotgun for taking on a bear. The author has much more experience than I’ll ever have in that field, and he absolutely should recommend what he is for practical bear defense in terms of firearms. I simply point out that a smaller caliber with quicker follow up is still an option. People will be shooting whatever they are most comfortable with. I think there’s a lot of misconception that any single round is going to drop an adrenaline doped bear in it’s tracks, or that the shooter is going to have the wherewithal to put adequate, accurate rounds on target. Yes, a lot of LE in Montana carry shotguns, but I would also say a lot of them will reach for their patrol rifle if dealing with a bear simply for the quick follow ups, longer standoff, and better accuracy. Obviously a different situation than being charged while hiking along a trail.

Did he also tell you that many of us would have liked to throw some buckshot at those friggin road construction workers who had been feeding bears campground treats for entertainment at Doe Creek?!!!
He has not! The topic came up when one of the younger guys in the department asked him about his “scariest” call. We figured he‘d mention the multiple victim shooting he responded to that was still active when he arrived. Instead he went on to tell us how he ran code from North of Gardiner to arrive on scene at Soda Butte campground, find a collapsed tent, and then follow the drag marks through the willows towards the creek using his Mag Lite to light the way with one had while carrying his 870 in the other only to discover a half eaten torso. Said he’s never felt more alone in his life.

He has not! The topic came up when one of the younger guys in the department asked him about his “scariest” call. We figured he‘d mention the multiple victim shooting he responded to that was still active when he arrived. Instead he went on to tell us how he ran code from North of Gardiner to arrive on scene at Soda Butte campground, find a collapsed tent, and then follow the drag marks through the willows towards the creek using his Mag Lite to light the way with one had while carrying his 870 in the other only to discover a half eaten torso. Said he’s never felt more alone in his life.
Wow! I cannot even imagine what his emotions must have been.

Since we are on this topic, what kind of holsters are you guys wearing while archery hunting with a backpack and bino harness? I have a smith 629 with a 6 inch barrel ( not a perfect gun but i already own it).

This will be my first year in grizz country and I have never seen one in the wild which is just fine with me..😁

Since we are on this topic, what kind of holsters are you guys wearing while archery hunting with a backpack and bino harness? I have a smith 629 with a 6 inch barrel ( not a perfect gun but i already own it).

This will be my first year in grizz country and I have never seen one in the wild which is just fine with me..😁
Gunfighter Kenai chest holster seems to be a popular one around here. I have one for my 10mm and like it.

chest.jpg
Put the shoulder strap on the other side for a side pull.

Last edited:
I was away a few days and on seeing the title I thought here we go again, but I found the video to be very balanced.
We just recently had a community meeting presented by Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks and USFWS.
FWP Director Hank Worssech, the grizzly response team and a representative from Senator Danes office were in attendance. Basically those that respond to grizzly encounters throughout Montana. Both State and Federal wildlife agencies. The same team that encountered and killed that bear on the moose carcass. We have had a few incidents around town this year near kids playing etc.
Some of the points made during the meeting, yes the abundance of grizzly has pushed them into the prairie, they know the bear objectives have been met and exceeded. Their hands are tied as to reducing numbers due to court challenges. All things we know.
I don’t recall any mention of bear spray being the first line of defense and it was made clear by the USFWS representative that if you fear for your life or that of another you are justified in killing that bear.
I’m sure it would not be good if it was shot in the rear at 60 yards but distance wasn’t discussed.

One other point made by both agencies was Yes, hunting is a good management tool as it is used for other big game species but it is the toughest sell to the groups that oppose thinning the population. Probably a long way from approval.

Now to what I carry. Bear spray and a 10mm G20 in a gunfighterInc Kenai holster. I decided a 15 round capacity was better that the S&W 329 44Mag with 6 rounds.

It has become the choice of enough ranchers, hikers, fishing and outdoor guides around here that they are tough to find and prices are going up.

Last edited:
for what ever it’s worth; I’ve been guiding in the Bristol Bay Area for 20 years; also a retired 20 year swat veteran, state and nationally certified fire arms instructor, I see grizz every day, I’ll spray several over the summer but only had to shoot one in the last 20 years. I carry a gun and spray but if I had to choose I’d take spray.
Now that’s intriguing. In twenty years, spraying several every summer, that’s a lot of bears sprayed! Hundreds maybe? What did the ONE bear do that made you drop the canister and draw your sidearm or fire your hunting rifle that no other bear made you do?? I hunt all over griz country and thankfully have never seen one in the wild, but this thread is a common conversation here in SW MT.

Another consideration is that a grizzly bear charging can be difficult to kill with a handgun.
To kill a close charging bear with the first shot into the brain or spine is expert shooting.
Off by a few inches and into an ear or shoulder could result in a mauling.
This grizzly shot with a rifle took over a dozen 180 gr nozler partitions, breaking teeth, both shoulders, before she finally died.
Alan_Griz.jpg

what I’m basically taking out of this thread is the bear spray is number one and the most effective in potentially stopping a mauling.

Having a rifle might help, but by the fact that bears can be on your doorstep within a matter of seconds, whether you have a rifle or handgun, it’s not gonna offer you much.

Sounds like the best approach is to be ultra cautious in your surroundings and use bear spray.

I have a Glock 17 that I carry in a gun fighter holster when I am hiking I’m not hunting with a rifle. That is for the 2 legged predators. I’m more concerned about

what I’m basically taking out of this thread is the bear spray is number one and the most effective in potentially stopping a mauling.

Having a rifle might help, but by the fact that bears can be on your doorstep within a matter of seconds, whether you have a rifle or handgun, it’s not gonna offer you much.

Sounds like the best approach is to be ultra cautious in your surroundings and use bear spray.

I have a Glock 17 that I carry in a gun fighter holster when I am hiking I’m not hunting with a rifle. That is for the 2 legged predators. I’m more concerned about
Most incidents are sudden, unexpected, and a close encounter with no real chance to draw anything, so it doesn't matter whether you are armed with a pistol, rifle, shotgun, bear spray, or a hand grenade ... what's critical is what the party behind you on the trail is packing.

Most incidents are sudden, unexpected, and a close encounter with no real chance to draw anything, so it doesn't matter whether you are armed with a pistol, rifle, shotgun, bear spray, or a hand grenade ... what's critical is what the party behind you on the trail is packing.
Agreed. But last thing I’d want is my buddy taking a shot at a bear with pistol and rifle while it’s on me. I’d be happier taking a face of pepper spray vs a bullet.

Back