Baitcasting reccomendations

Sounds like a great evening. I caught three walleyes on the Missouri on the 4th. I would definitely rather be there today than grubbing in my yard plumbing up my sprinkler boxes.

I looked at replacing my 20 year old BIIX after it got stolen.
Nope. Winston's lost their damned mind on pricing. I'll keep an eye on Ebay for used rods. Those are at least somewhat affordable. Shame - Winston makes a killer rod.
For myself nobody, absolutely nobody makes a killer rod. Lot of companys make rods I can afford though. get yourself a $200 or $300 rod and shut the car door on it! Breaks just like a $20 rod! About the most I ever paid for a fishing rod was about $40 and it made me chringe! Shoot I won't even pay $80 for a reel! My family says i'm frugal. My ex-wife say I'm a cheap bas*ard!

For myself nobody, absolutely nobody makes a killer rod. Lot of companys make rods I can afford though. get yourself a $200 or $300 rod and shut the car door on it! Breaks just like a $20 rod! About the most I ever paid for a fishing rod was about $40 and it made me chringe! Shoot I won't even pay $80 for a reel! My family says i'm frugal. My ex-wife say I'm a cheap bas*ard!

I've broken plenty of rods. The warranty had them back to me quick, even if I had bought them second hand.

The Winston I lost was the only rod I paid retail for. I was spending aboutb150 days a year fishing in WY & it was the finest thing I owned. But no way I'm spending $1100 for a new one.

Get yourself some Ribbit frogs. Maybe this is blasphemous, but they are arguably more fun than dry flies.
Or... Michigan pike / muskie...

Edit added: I take the treble off the bottom. If a pike/muskie hammers it, the fixed top treble has done the job... Pretty awesome to watch the mad splash.

Last edited:
Well after dropping the boss off to paddle the Platte, I headed to Sportsman's. Ended up with the Mojo Bass casting rod & the St Croix Triumph for a spinning rod. Both hit the sweet spot between cost & quality. Going to try out the spinning rod this evening and then wait for the Quantum Smoke to show up in the mail.

Thanks for the help folks!
Congrats on the new equipment!!! Post up some pics of the fish you catch with them.

That’s the same bass rod I had with that reel. Great combo…not easy to move cross country with…movers helped and made the one piece a three piece. Enjoy and great fishing.

That’s the same bass rod I had with that reel. Great combo…not easy to move cross country with…movers helped and made the one piece a three piece. Enjoy and great fishing.

Both are 1 piece rods. I'm grabbing some pvc pipe to make rod tubes for them.

Ended up not fishing last night but have a date with a pontoon boat & a small alke this afternoon. Giggity.

Well after dropping the boss off to paddle the Platte, I headed to Sportsman's. Ended up with the Mojo Bass casting rod & the St Croix Triumph for a spinning rod. Both hit the sweet spot between cost & quality. Going to try out the spinning rod this evening and then wait for the Quantum Smoke to show up in the mail.

Thanks for the help folks!
Here I was going to say I got a pair of Pflueger Trion mounted on a Shakespeare intrepid and a Fenwick Eagle rod.

I had all the rest of my fishing tackle stolen out of the boat and this is alll I’ve got left.

DA41E80D-4215-4DAF-BC4D-DDBB5DF1B86F.jpegCA31A32C-B39D-40BE-8235-49F7E3C78478.jpeg989ED2D4-B714-40D8-B659-EFE4DA4A8039.jpeg36175F43-BE07-449D-AFE6-8BD6A18BDC00.jpeg

Only caught one fish on an imitation frog, but it was an 8lb farm pond bucketmouth. Was quite the catch for a 10 year old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back