PNG Black Bass

OzzyDave

One on my bucket list items for many years has been the Papua New Guinea (PNG) Black Bass. While sampling several cold beers with a fishing mate a month or so ago, it was decided we would DO IT!. This was in itself, flying in tha face of danger by not consulting wives and partners. I was quick to commit and have convinced 2 other buddies to tag along, so Sept 2020 can‘t come quick enough. Something was ringing in my head, that I’d read on here and heard Randy say “You’ll run out of health before you run out of money”.
E7FB569D-69E6-4ACE-9746-60E79FC41CAF.jpeg

A bit of background on PNG Black Bass (Lutjanis Goldiei), Like all Lutjanis species, it’s an ambush predator, living in heavy log jams and similar. A dirty fighter, quick to try and bury you in that cover when hooked. Average weight of the fish in the area we are fishing is around the 22lb mark. It will be brutal on angler & gear no doubt. Chosen gear is 50lb braid on a baitcast outfit and same on a spin rod for surface presentations. Other “bycatch” may be large Spot Tail Bass and Mangrove Jack, also a Lutjanis species, with barramundi thrown in.
Upgrading of splits and trebles on hardbody lures has started already - no use leaving it until the last minute right. I have soooo many lures, rods and reels I want to take, it’ll be hard to stay within the 32lb weight limit for luggage - clothing will be minimalist.

I’d be keen to pick the brain of anyone who has fished for these brutes of the river systems.

Sounds like an incredible adventure! Looking forward to the report afterwards. I have always had Peacock bass on my radar.

What he said. Will you try to do a fish fry next to the river?
So little is known about the species and i believe the outfitter / operator practices catch and release. They do keep some of the other species to give to villagers. Plenty of pelagic and coral reef species options with this trip.

Sounds like an incredible adventure! Looking forward to the report afterwards. I have always had Peacock bass on my radar.

Would love to chase Peacocks. I do enjoy top water fishing and they seem to respond very well to this method.

I’m lucky enough my work takes me to the north part of our state. I have a good buddy up there with a nice boat (He’s a good fella too) We get to fish the inner Great Barrier Reef when the weather is right. If not, we cast lures at mangrove roots & snag piles for barramundi and other creek / estuary species. Barramundi are one of our premier sports fish. Anything over 3ft is a trophy fish. Barramundi are all born males and turn female at around 27.5inches to 31.5inches.

Attachments

• D269302D-2906-4021-87AD-6BDDB259644A.jpeg
    D269302D-2906-4021-87AD-6BDDB259644A.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 8
I'll show you how it's done with a fly rod.
Let me at that sucker!!!! :)

Yeh barramundi (barra) are great on fly. I’ve used as light as an 8wt but generally use a 10wt. My buddies curse me when I break out the fly rod - they reckon that’s what makes the wind blow stronger.

Yeh barramundi (barra) are great on fly. I’ve used as light as an 8wt but generally use a 10wt. My buddies curse me when I break out the fly rod - they reckon that’s what makes the wind blow stronger.
That's funny stuff.
But catching those fish with fly rod would be serious business. Totally cool.
Good luck.

That's funny stuff.
But catching those fish with fly rod would be serious business. Totally cool.
Good luck.
The GEOBASS guys channel on youtube has some great footage. 14-16wt rods with 130lb leader throwing 10/0 flies.

The GEOBASS guys channel on youtube has some great footage. 14-16wt rods with 130lb leader throwing 10/0 flies.
OzzyDave very cool stuff,just watched a 20min. video of GEOBASS in PNG.
Those fish are crazy!Thanks for the info. 🔥

Back