Baitcasting reccomendations

I caught my first salmon this year on a Daiwa Fuego CT. For my first baitcaster that was actually used for casting, this has treated me well. I've only seriously backlashed it one time, which I think is a point in its favor. I was looking closely at the Tatula CT and the Shimano SLX and SLX DC. I just don't use them enough to appreciate a Metanium or Zillion.

I later acquired a used Abu 5500C3 that has held up well to plunking and salmon. I've heard bad things about the S-series (made in China) but I think the C-series (made in Sweden) are still decent.

You can get some really good deals buying used. My 5500C3 was less than half MSRP, with box and papers, had brand new line (even the exact stuff that I was going to put on it), and had only been taken out of the box to put line on.

Ask & Hunt Talk gives.

Thanks to @utah400elk for a smoking deal on a gently used reel.

On to the rod, the Mojo seems to be the front runner so far.

Ask & Hunt Talk gives.

Thanks to @utah400elk for a smoking deal on a gently used reel.

On to the rod, the Mojo seems to be the front runner so far.
I have two st crox mojo bass rods that I like good enough. Sensitive and light weight. I did snap the tip on one of them fighting a fish and was given a new one back when cabelas had a great warranty. They have been great since.
I think a $100 rod can be two of these three things light weight, Sensitive, and durable. But not all three.
Also consider Fenwick and Shimano in the same price range.

My baitcast combo is a 7’ St Croix Avid Med-Fast with a Shimano Cardiff (I prefer round profile personally).

I’m more of a spin fisherman, but this has been a nice setup.

My baitcast combo is a 7’ St Croix Avid Med-Fast with a Shimano Cardiff (I prefer round profile personally).

I’m more of a spin fisherman, but this has been a nice setup.

I've got a little ultralight spinning setup that is an absolute blast on smaller lakes for bass & bluegill. The next setup I'm getting will be a medium/fast spinning outfit for other species & drop shots/senko rigs.

And a new 5wt bamboo that's being wrapped now, and a nice 7 wt for streamers to match my 10 foot 7wt steelhead rod.

And...

I guess the shotgun is gonna happen next year.

The next setup I'm getting will be a medium/fast spinning outfit for other species & drop shots/senko rigs.

Now your talking! My favorite spin rod is a 7’ one-piece Avid ML fast tip, it’s great for picking up those “ticks” when a fish sucks in a Senko.

That’s definitely my go-to bait for both large and smallmouth bass, and it handles small cranks and spinners for river fishing smallmouth and trout as well.

I do have a St Croix bias being in Wisconsin, but I have had to use the warranty twice now- bring the broken pieces to Fleet Farm, walk back and get a replacement and off you go. Not sure if that works most places, but it was that easy the two times I had the misfortune of snapping a tip off.

This is true^^^
I still have my first one, ...prolly older than JLS.
Ben....you ARE dirty.

It's cool though. I got a box full of foam & balsa poppers for the fly rods. A 10" bluegill on a 4wt is a prize fight.

If it is any consolation I recently acquired three Penn spinning reels( for free) . It could steer me to the Darkside.
I, too, felt like a traitor AND dirty. ;)

I'm at the point where I'd rather catch fish than worry about how I look doing it. There's a little lake that my wife's family has some cabins on, and the preferred method of slaying smallies is dragging a worm/frog/minnow across the bottom on a dead drift from a pontoon boat. My FIL's cache of rods & reels are all Goodwill finds - lots of Zebco 33's, etc. You have to hold your tongue just right to reel them in, but hot damn, it's fun.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back