Caribou Gear Tarp

AZ Pronghorn - A lifetime dream

My hunting area is full of campers and 4 wheelers...lol I actually almost got hit by some jackwagon on a 4 wheeler the other day while I was crawling through the sage brush. This season has not been a very good one so far.

This blind must wreak of pronghorn danger. They come close, but seldom come to water here. The game camera has not picked up one antelope pic. They hang out over the ridge to my south most days. This is the closest, cleanest, and biggest water around. Not sure where they are watering..

Thinking of some scouting around today to find out where they have watered. Then, set another blind there and leave this one as a deterrent, a task it has performed very well the last ten days.

Not sure if it would apply in your location, but I have taken a couple of antelope off of a glorified "mud hole". I was supprised to see how many antelope choose this pathetic excuse of a water source over the many others in the area. Good Luck!! Love reading you adventure as it unfolds!!

Here they come. 14 does pushed by one nice buck. They are now at 150 and coming in. The buck is very nice. Probably a high 70's buck.

After ten days, it might be hard to hold off if the shot is presented.

Will update in a few.

Well, guess I get to wait. They just bedded down out in front about 120 yards. That should provide some comfort if Big Hank strolls in.

Damn, it is getting hot in here.

Don't settle!!!! Man I keep hearing about all of the great bucks!! Of course I'm not in your shoes and been busting it for the past two weeks either!!! If you see a buck that tickles your fancy, I can't wait to see the pics!!! Good luck Fin!!!

Ever shot a high 70's buck before? ;) Good luck!

Yeah, when I have a nice guy like you right there to hold my ammo. :)

They came close, but at the last minute decided to graze off to the south, so I didn't have face that dilema. That they moved off when getting within 100 yards of water is worrisome.

Guess need i need a single buck to come in. A big single buck.

Not sure if it would apply in your location, but I have taken a couple of antelope off of a glorified "mud hole". I was supprised to see how many antelope choose this pathetic excuse of a water source over the many others in the area. Good Luck!! Love reading you adventure as it unfolds!!

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the time the dirtier the better for the goats I hunt. There's two small rivers/streams that run through my area and I seldom see antelope drinking from it. Instead I see them drinking out of what's left in ravines carved by runoff...usually nothing more then thick mud...but there are usually tracks everywhere. With all the rain you've had Randy it wouldn't surprise me if there are little puddles of mud here and there and with your blind there they may be more willing to drink from those as they mill around then make the travel to water. Just a thought!!!! Good luck...I'm hoping to see some pictures from the heat of the day or another low light "bethedecoy" moment!

Left the blind a couple hours ago. Out looking for the other potential water spots. When I started, my bind sss had the most tracks, by far. Now, little activity. Went to some of the other water holes I looked at earlier that were void of sign. Now, done have blinds, which is good. The remaining spots now have tracks, even though right next to the road.

So, the last two hours and the next the hours will be putting blinds up on those last few water holes that have tracks. Conspicuous blinds that will create discomfort to any antelope thinking of watering there. Had thought about that earlier in the season, but didn't want to be out laying blinds on every water. With only for days remaining and only one other guy hunting the area, I think we both benefit by placing deterrents at these few remaining holes.

Probably some other puddles they can drink from, but I only have four blinds. Can't believe the amount of sign at holes right on the main road. Gotta be happening at night. No self-respecting antelope would water there in broad daylight. And I have a hard time envisioning a hunter sitting there. But, I am getting desperate. Just saying..............

I can feel your pain. To bad Starbucks and dq don't deliver to the roadside. At keat you could stay amped up that way. Good luck tommorow. "H" bomb " them.

Fin, you are busted!! When I left the titty bar in Scottsdale last night I would swear I saw you and another hunter in camo with three day-old beards talking to a couple of Japanese guys in suits about what is meant my DRT as far as bow shooting. They were going "Ya, ya." So what gives? I had to get on the plane at 6:40am to come back to Boise. Would have loved to actually met you, but didn't have the time.....;)

Back