Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

AZ Elk Hat Trick (pics)

BOHNTR

Well, I finally made it back from my Arizona archery elk hunt. What an awesome experience. I’ve forgotten how great this hunt really is. My hat's off to the AZG&F for proper management of this specie.

The hunt started out slow, with few bulls bugling and a full moon to contend with. Both hunting partners and I passed MANY decent bulls, hoping to arrow a few nice ones I had scouted in July. I was even able to take some photos of critters during this time. However, once the second week was upon us we all wondered if we’d ever get an opportunity at a trophy bull.

Fred came through and finally broke the ice on Sunday evening, arrowing a massive 7x8 bull (his first ever) just before dark. We decided to track him the next morning, as Fred didn’t like his arrow placement. We found him piled up about 250 yards from where he was shot the next morning. The bull had expired sometime during the early morning hours. A good lesson for letting a bull alone if faced with a marginal hit. The bull will gross in the 340’s.

I hunted hard and put lots of miles on my Danners during the second week. I had many close encounters that usually ended in frustration caused mostly by swirling winds. However, I kept at it and eventually snuck up on a nice herd bull with several cows on Wednesday (day before closure). One arrow through the heart and the bull went 76 yards. He’s a massive 6x7 P&Y that gross scores in the mid 330’s.

With two P&Y bulls down, the pressure was on for my last memeber of the BOHNTR Crew (Wally) to connect and complete the Hat Trick. On the final morning of the season, Wally snuck up on a 300” P&Y satellite bull as he was bugling. After arrowing him high in the chest cavity (twice), we decided to wait about 3 hours to track him. We followed the skimpy blood trail and found him piled up about a ¼ mile away. He’s a very symmetrical 6x6 that will net score just over 300” P&Y.

What an awesome experience. With the Colorado deer I already arrowed earlier this month, and now this big bodied elk, I’m afraid my freezer will be full. And, I still have blacktails (hybrids) to bowhunt this month. I better start eating some meat! Hope you enjoy the photos.

Fred's Massive 6x7 P&Y Bull:

1781AZ_05_hunt_016-med.jpg

My heavy 6x7 P&Y Bull:

1781AZ_05_hunt_045-med.jpg

1781AZ_05_hunt_052-med.jpg

Wally's last day 300" P&Y Bull:

1781AZ_05_hunt_058-med.jpg

The Hat Trick Photo:

1781AZ_05_hunt_064-med.jpg

Some wildlife photos:

1781AZ_05_hunt_003-med.jpg

1781AZ_05_hunt_004-med.jpg

We aren't worthy! Awesome job. How many days total did you guys spend on this hunt?

The entire season (14 days) plus two days before opener. I also spent a four day weekend the end of July to scout. Nice when it finally pays off.

Roy, Let me now when you are heading back over to pick up your meat. Roy and his crew are some very solid archery hunters. A lot of locals who had the same tag didn't do as well as these guys. Freds bull is one of the coolest looking bulls I've seen in awhile.........................

Congratulations Stan. Must have been a great hunt.

Those are New Mexico Elk. Right? Or was it Idaho?

:cool:

I didn't have anything to do with this hunt Dan. I just went up and hung out with the guys for a little bit. I wish I'd had some more time to get up there with Roy (BOHNTR) and help call a little.

Looks like they all did well to me, Stan. I apologize. I thought these were clients..

:cool:

No apology needed. I just wanted to make sure they got all the credit, they did a great job on a not so easy hunt IMO.

elk

awsome job guys what unit where you in that bull looks like one i seen in 7 w. the bull with the cheater point. congrats

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back