Award for Worst Game Reg in the US

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Seems to call into question the sincerity of your thread title ;)
Dumb = things that do nothing, orange would have likely reduced accidents... also isn't this the whole reason you can't use buck shot, #2s etc on turkey's. Isn't the idea that #5s have a greatly reduced chance of being lethal on humans at hunting ranges?

So basically breaking tunnel vision?

The thought makes sense to me. Didn't think a sticker would break that, but I'm not a psychologist either.

Another is deep, slow rhythmic breathing. Its supposed to make sure your brain and eyes get enough oxygen to break that tunnel vision when you get excited.
I think you are correct.

I read about this while going to school in MO in the mid 90's so there is a decent chance I might butcher the whole thing. But here goes. After investigations of many accidental shooting during turkey season and after interviewing the shooters the investigators where coming up with a high percentage of these shooters feeling 100% certain that what they were shooting at was a turkey. Sure there where many of them that shot at sounds, movement, mishandled guns, etc but many of them where from shooters that still felt even after the shot that what they saw was in fact a turkey. Then they started to involve psychologists to see if they had any insight. One of the possible items they came up with was, and I cant recall the technical term for it, but the visual input to the hunter was getting confused and even though the hunter was actually seeing a person, his brain was interpreting it as a turkey. Everything else in the hunters brain was saying this should be a turkey, regardless of what his vision was actually showing. The thought on the sticker is that if they could provide another input to the eye during this process then it might click the brain on to process what the hunter was seeing correctly. The sticker in MO was bright green, maybe yellow, and very small, said something along the lines of "be safe" and had to placed on the shotgun so that when you lined up to shoot you could see it but not to block your field of view of your target. I placed mine on the top of the receiver just before the vent rib. All I would see was a small blotch of green at the edge of my field of view.

I have no idea if they are effective. I have no idea on the quality of the science. I have no idea if this is a government conspiracy to control our minds. I'll let other sort that out. I personally, felt the sticker was no more or less stupid than blaze orange and was so minor an inconvenience I had largely forgotten about it. I actually think it has the potential to be a useful tool and almost certainly more effective than simply telling people to "pay better attention". In my line of work I deal with many accident investigations and I can tell you the number one response is typically, "be safer or pay more attention". If this was effective we would have stopped accidents long ago. Sometimes, simply, small changes to the routine, can make a world of difference. Not sure if the sticker does that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are correct.

I read about this while going to school in MO in the mid 90's so there is a decent chance I might butcher the whole thing. But here goes. After investigations of many accidental shooting during turkey season and after interviewing the shooters the investigators where coming up with a high percentage of these shooters feeling 100% certain that what they were shooting at was a turkey. Sure there where many of them that shot at sounds, movement, mishandled guns, etc but many of them where from shooters that still felt even after the shot that what they saw was in fact a turkey. Then they started to involve psychologists to see if they had any insight. One of the possible items they came up with was, and I cant recall the technical term for it, but the visual input to the hunter was getting confused and even though the hunter was actually seeing a person, his brain was interpreting it as a turkey. Everything else in the hunters brain was saying this should be a turkey, regardless of what his vision was actually showing. The thought on the sticker is that if they could provide another input to the eye during this process then it might click the brain on to process what the hunter was seeing correctly. The sticker in MO was bright green and very small, said something along the lines of "be safe" and had to placed on the shotgun so that when you lined up to shoot you could see it but not to block your field of view of your target. I placed mine on the top of the receiver just before the vent rib. All I would see was a small blotch of green at the edge of my field of view.

I have no idea if they are effective. I have no idea on the quality of the science. I have no idea if this is a government conspiracy to control our minds. I'll let other sort that out. I personally, felt the sticker was no more or less stupid than blaze orange and was so minor an inconvenience I had largely forgotten about it. I actually think it has the potential to be a useful tool and almost certainly more effective than simply telling people to "pay better attention". In my line of work I deal with many accident investigations and I can tell you the number one response is typically, "be safer or pay more attention". If this was effective we would have stopped accidents long ago. Sometimes, simply, small changes to the routine, can make a world of difference. Not sure if the sticker does that.
Interesting sounds plausible, kinda reminds me of the open loop - closed loop discussion with regard to target panic.

From the next Massachusetts Game Comission meeting agenda for 2021:

The Safety Sticker may be omitted by use of the "Safety Sucker" which you will be required to stick in your mouth as soon as you leave the vehicle to hunt. You may choose grape, cherry, or bubblegum flavors, and of course the suckers will be vegan, sugar-free, and gluten-free, with biodegradable sucker sticks...

...probably

Dumb = things that do nothing, orange would have likely reduced accidents... also isn't this the whole reason you can't use buck shot, #2s etc on turkey's. Isn't the idea that #5s have a greatly reduced chance of being lethal on humans at hunting ranges?
I always wondered why there was a shot size restriction on turkeys never knew that’s why.

I always wondered why there was a shot size restriction on turkeys never knew that’s why.
I'm surprised that we haven't already seen laws prohibiting TSS/tungsten above a certain size. I've done penetration tests with TSS #2's for coyote loads and they'll penetrate 6" of ballistic gel at 40 yards. That would kill a person stone dead.

A better preventative would be automatic five years in the crowbar hotel for shooting another turkey hunter. It's all about shooting at noises, not birds. That foolishness should be good for a jail term in my opinion. Idiot with a sticker on his gun is still going to be an idiot with a sticker on his gun. Idiot in jail is not shooting someone else again. Or beating up his wife. Or dog. Or spotlighting deer. Let Santa put some soap-on-a-rope in his stocking!

A better preventative would be automatic five years in the crowbar hotel for shooting another turkey hunter. It's all about shooting at noises, not birds. That foolishness should be good for a jail term in my opinion. Idiot with a sticker on his gun is still going to be an idiot with a sticker on his gun. Idiot in jail is not shooting someone else again. Or beating up his wife. Or dog. Or spotlighting deer. Let Santa put some soap-on-a-rope in his stocking!
So you think people do foolish things with guns because they are not concerned about going to jail? Or is your idea to stop shooters that have shot more than one other hunter within a 5 year period. Putting a person in jail is not a preventative measure it is a punishment. Not saying their shouldn't be punishment but your idea doesn't do much good in preventing the foolish behavior.

Oregon new paperless cell phone reporting of animal taken. There is no cell service in many areas of hunting units. So you have no way to tag animal until you get back into service. You may not even have service for a few miles driving.

They had a perfectly good system.

Oregon new paperless cell phone reporting of animal taken. There is no cell service in many areas of hunting units. So you have no way to tag animal until you get back into service. You may not even have service for a few miles driving.

They had a perfectly good system.
Can you do it via text?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kws82590
Back