Worst of the Worst

I wish that I could go back in time and record the 50+ years of deer/elk camp with my dad, uncle, his father and a couple other old timers, all in the same camp. That would make for some epic youtube videos, but nobody would believe that the stories they told actually happened.
Yeah part of me feels the same but then if half of our family deer camp shenanigans made it on YouTube we'd have alphabet fed Bois knocking on the door (for the FBI guy watching this thread, that was a joke)

Who digs this classic...."It's November 3rd here in (insert location), the weather is perfect and the bucks are moving, all we need now is for Mr. Big to read the script" 🤮🤢

Ones where a roided up hobbit talks about being a ‘savage mountain killer’ and brags about taking a grizzly with his bow when actually the guide had to shoot it with a rifle to save his life.
Or management for big male bears while you hunt some of the most people habituated bears ever at a garbage dump; oh sorry bear bait

I've seen Tom Miranda has started to put episodes on his YT page. Man, that guy is cringe. Stevie Wonder has a better shot with a bow then that man.

I guess I’ll just keep watching Catman and Fresh Tracks.

My smart tv is set to pursuit channel as a default. I can’t switch it to YouTube fast enough to watch fresh tracks or something of decent quality.

So many cringey/nauseating/trashy hunting “shows” on there, I can’t stand it. Watching that stuff makes me believe that hunting television will create more anti-hunters than anything else.

So many cringey/nauseating/trashy hunting “shows” on there, I can’t stand it. Watching that stuff makes me believe that hunting television will create more anti-hunters than anything else.
Although I must say, the quality of the youtube stuff far outshines what used to be the standard hunting show from the 90s and early 2000s: Someone on a high fence guided hunt (always with a southern accent. Didn't matter where they were in the country. Nothing against folks from the south, but it was weird) talking for hours about how great his gun/scope/every other brand of clothing was. Shooting something in the first five minutes, driving up to it, and then telling you again how there's absolutely no way he would have killed such a magnificent animal if he hadn't had said gun/scope/etc and taking infinite glory shots of the antlers. A commercial break every 2 minutes to try to sell you a gun/scope/etc.

Anymore there's lots of folks making shows about hunting public land, cooking and butchering, and they even show the failures. Fresh Tracks, Elk 101, even the early Meateater stuff was pretty darn good, and a welcome relief from that junk.

I don't love the flat-brimmed hunter bro scene, or people dramatically weeping over their kills, but I still think it's a step up from what it was.

It's funny, once a few years ago I experimented with filming my own hunts. Bought a small camera, figured I'd "share my adventures" 🤪 Well, a couple of things happened. 1. Self filming a hunt is hard, and I ended up cleanly missing what should have been an easy shot. 2. I had a sort of awakening to the fact that for me, hunting is and always will be first and foremost about food. Wild game is delicious, healthy, and despite my best efforts I have not yet discovered an antler or turkey beard recipe that I really like (though if anyone has such a recipe, I'm listening 😄) . Now that is not to say i won't gladly enjoy the opportunity to shoot a "trophy" if one presents itself (To the 10pt that messed up my patrol car last fall and somehow got away, I know where you live, I will find you). But at the end of the day I hunt to feed my family with clean healthy meat, and because I rely on the wildlife for that, I care about the wildlife. It's that simple. So I gave up the filming idea and went back to filling the freezer.

Talk about the grind
Properly smoke 'em
Beat some world record
Make sure you announce you're gonna send it
This might be all Bowmar videos.

Sitting on my back porch watching the neighbors walk their dogs beats the crap out of most outdoor programming drivel.
Blooper reels don’t suck.

I just can't watch anything anymore that I can't relate to. These guys hunting entire seasons and making multiple trips, hunting 15+ days in a row. 99% of people can't do that even if they wanted to. Just makes it all seem so unrealistic. That is what drew me to Randy's videos. 5 days (ish) to hunt and that's it. Also, very few hosts of hunting TV seem like they are having much fun.

I just can't watch anything anymore that I can't relate to. These guys hunting entire seasons and making multiple trips, hunting 15+ days in a row. 99% of people can't do that even if they wanted to. Just makes it all seem so unrealistic. That is what drew me to Randy's videos. 5 days (ish) to hunt and that's it. Also, very few hosts of hunting TV seem like they are having much fun.
Wait, we can't all be super-fit guys in our late 20s/early 30s and hunt every single day of the season looking for "The One"? Do some of us have careers and families or something?

I just watched the most recent Stone Glacier film. And even though I personally don't think Montana's hunter orange law is all that necessary outside of weapons restricted areas and for youths, it was funny to watch the guy completely blow off the law on camera (which isn't unusual for him; the same filmmaker got in legal trouble some years ago in the fly fishing world).

Wait, we can't all be super-fit guys in our late 20s/early 30s and hunt every single day of the season looking for "The One"? Do some of us have careers and families or something?

I just watched the most recent Stone Glacier film. And even though I personally don't think Montana's hunter orange law is all that necessary outside of weapons restricted areas and for youths, it was funny to watch the guy completely blow off the law on camera (which isn't unusual for him; the same filmmaker got in legal trouble some years ago in the fly fishing world).
Yea I watched that video too, but didn't catch the violation (not a MT resident). That is sweet he got to hunt for like 20+ days or something and that is essentially his job. Just so unrelateable. I'm more impressed with the school teacher who can only hunt weekends and consistently gets an elk or a deer, etc. Bonus points if he is dragging his kids along. Someone should make a youtube video about that guy/gal.

Not a Stone Glacier fan boy or anything, but pretty sure that hunt wasn't in Montana...

Not a Stone Glacier fan boy or anything, but pretty sure that hunt wasn't in Montana...
You are correct. Pretty sure this is how rumors start. You’d think people would have the facts before spouting off about a hunting violation on the World Wide Web. In Elky’s defense though…there have been a lot of dumb YouTubers incriminate themselves before!

You are correct. Pretty sure this is how rumors start. You’d think people would have the facts before spouting off about a hunting violation on the World Wide Web. In Elky’s defense though…there have been a lot of dumb YouTubers incriminate themselves before!
I'm fine with being corrected and getting the facts straight! The fact that that filmmaker broke the law a few years ago by targeting threatened bull trout in a wilderness area, playing them to exhaustion and releasing them to get good camera angles, and filming it all without a permit is not a rumor though: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/feb/24/montana-fly-fishing-film-crew-fined-for-violating-/. He said he was in MT at the beginning of the video and mentioned multiple times throughout how hard mountain mule deer hunting is in MT. I didn't hear him say otherwise, although I could have tuned him out (I was cooking dinner with it on in the background). Mia Culpa.

Last edited:
Until the bullet hit, I thought it was a training video for hunter’s ed- “find what is wrong”. That was horrendous.
"Clean miss, right over his back" And into who-cares-what behind him. Having been on the other side of someone shooting at skylined deer when I was young, I can confirm there's few things scarier than hearing a bullet whistle over your head. This one is rough.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back