Worst of the Worst

thomas89

Sometimes during the day I’ll let the YouTube play in the background for some noise around the house. Often times it’ll end up on hunting videos. (It’s the algorithm, I swear.) More often than not I’ll find myself picking on these guys for one reason or another. Today I got to thinking:

If you had to put together the absolute worst hunting video ever, what would be included?

Opening scene: going with a summer scouting run or shed trip? Maybe tweaking the bow a bit at the range?

Interview scenes: we talking while you eat dinner? We gonna watch you clean your teeth out afterwards? Shaky driving footage?

Clothes/gear: head to toe Sitka? kuiu? Ears tucked in to your hat? Clunky rifle with all the bells and whistles? Over poundage bow that someone has to absolutely horse back to get drawn?

Commentary: gotta be at least one, “LETS GO BOYS!” A la Tom Brady, but other than that nonsense what grinds peoples gears?

The shot: don’t want to get too much into wounding because that’s depressing. I’d settle for a classic ground shrinkage scene, meat in the freezer, yada yada yada.

Packout: Goats? Llamas? Old fashioned on the back? Ooh rafts! Those seem pretty popular in a couple videos.

Anywho, I imagine if any of these were actually on one video there’d be an increase in aneurysms, but it still got me thinking today about how awful some of these are.

"Rugged X" videos of African hunts. J. Alain Smith is the ultimate showman. Never shuts up and wound up tight as a drum. So much is staged (e.g. long close up from the side of him squeezing off on a buffalo). Very cheesy. But he is a good shot and usually lots of good footage of scenery. He is generally a stalker (except leopard from a blind), not shooting from vehicles. See a lot of that in African videos. But hunting with the guy would drive me nuts.

Not to be confused with John X Safaris productions. Those are generally very good. Their PHs are great.

Last edited:
I'd pay a reasonable amount of money to have a series that was just old timers in a deer camp. No hunting, no sitting blinds. None of that.

Just pinochle, blackberry brandy & inappropriate jokes. And great stories of past hunts.

That's worth $3.99 an episode.

The use of the word bro, crying, inline ads for the sponsors, chest and fist pumping and running with a weapon..See that in THP videos a lot...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back