Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ass Clown

Was that Jackrabbit shot while the so called Pig Man was hunting Elk? That's a fool proof method of putting the Elk and other big game on high alert....or run them out of the country. Stupid move IMO.

Was it fun shooting that trophy elk in your avatar? Was that hunting for meat or management? Try presenting that photo to promote what we do, to non hunters in good light....
Not sure fun is the word I would use, but the whole hunt was a blast. Pulling the trigger is the least memorable part of the hunt for me. I hunt primarily for meat as well as management. Sure, one photo doesn't summarize any hunt but the folks who use just grip and grins to base their opinion on hunting are probably not supportive of hunting anyway. At least I didn't kiss it! If I sat down with a non-hunter and told them the story of the hunt vs the story of killing a critter just cause, I'd have a pretty good idea of what they would find more acceptable. We as hunters are vastly outnumbered by non-hunters (who also vote) so being good ambassadors for our way of life if not a bad thing IMHO.

With that, I shall bow out. Carry on.

Well you can use the hide of a coyote. But if just killing things to kill them makes you feel manly then it is what it is. In my time in the outdoors, I guess I have taken the attitude that you don't have to kill everything. I don't have to pull the trigger every time I am outdoors to have a good time
And by far, the majority of coyote hides are not "used". Likewise, casual hunting for them has a very limited impact on them for the purposes of management.

We all of a hierarchy of animals which guides what we consider proper treatment of them. I personally have no problem shooting a jackrabbit and not eating it. I don't care if you do it either. If I draw the pronghorn tag I put in for, at least one day of the trip will be spent performing "management" on prairie dogs. I won't eat them either.

I'm not saying anything we dont already know, but hunters need non- hunter support, whether you like it or not. Shows like pigman, as well as others, do not cater well to non- hunters. non- hunters may not go out of their way to watch these shows, but impacts can be made by passing over it channel surfing, advertisements, etc. Are you willing to risk swaying public opinion, and possibly lose out on hunting opportunities because shows like these lead to voting against beneficial legislation? It may sound like hyperbole, but things like that can add up and, over time, may have significant consequences.

We can pound out chests and even have initiation rituals where newcomers are hazed as if joining a college fraternity. You know, cut the shirt tail, smear deer blood on their face, etc. Our numbers are shrinking. Fewer big game hunters.

Know what there is more of these days? More political plays are made to sidestep wildlife biologists. In the state house and in the court house. Call it pussification and while you are at it walk up to current NFL hockey players that wear helmets (obvious pansies) and bull riders (d-bags for sure, am I right?). Or, have a reality check as you look at the calendar to see it is 2017. Adapt or perish. Yearn for glory days as you tilt at windmills as streak though the quad solo in Old School or perhaps realize a bit of video of a rabbit being atomized can go viral in the way a bloodied doctor being drug off a plane can go viral. A lot of voters without much opinion on hunting will form one and there are more of them than Skoal-spitting hunters crushing beer cans on their head (oh yeah, real men crush steel beer cans not the twinkly aluminum crap cans I see littered by campfires after slob hunters roll out of a campsite). If you want your manly men grandchildren to be able to grow up and hunt then is up to each of you to figure out what action you can take today to make it more likely hunting is an option.

A guy can almost chew on the irony of the OP's willingness to harp on someone else's behavior, while defensively passing out nutshots to anyone who disagrees with his critique.

Personally, I don't kill things I'm not going to eat. I don't expect (or want) others to view things the same way I do. This world would suck if everyone was the same. As long as it's legal, doesn't harm anyone, and doesn't threaten my immediate or future rights and privileges, I'm not particularly inclined to raise the hackles. Gotta pick the battles, and getting huffy over some dingleberry who takes pride in an uncanny state of redneck delirium is not a battle I'm jumping in to.

In the words of the great Happy Gilmore: "Gold jacket, green jacket....who gives a shit!?"

Sadly I think that more of the hunting public identifies with his show than shows that "we" like.

I think we can all agree those bunnies did not suffer. Can we?
But did they eat them? That's what really matters.

If you google "Varmint Grenade" videos, you'll get 2,310 results. But "Ron Jeremy" gets you 549,000. Just sayin.

When these kind of discussions go down the "rabbit hole" I always end up scratching my head.

We are talking about mammals. Animals with brains that have live born babies. Rats and mice are mammals. They are pretty intelligent if you look though some of the studies that have been performed with them. (There are lots of studies with rats and mice, not so many with monkeys).

99% of humans would either go out of their way to kill a rat or a mouse or not have a problem that someone else did and didn't eat them.

Then it steps up to prairie dogs and squirrels. Just a little bit cuter but generally folks don't have much heartburn one way or the other.

Rabbits now seem to be the line. They are pretty cute, some people do eat them, they still have some diseases but not like they used to.

You keep stepping up the line on more and more cute or majestic, larger bodied with more meat on their bones to eat, etc. and there are lots of rules and regulations on those animals.

Still not sure an elk or deer is much smarter than a rat or a mouse though. More tasty meat on them for sure though.

I don't have an answer, but I tend to ponder on where that line is for people and how it gets set.

Big Fin- Something that was so common sense to some of us is obviously not agreed too by all of us.

My thought process is clear by the thread title. While I enjoy hunting and fishing, I do not kill just to kill.

I understand the need to cull some animals such as coyotes and ground hogs. I am totally fine with trapping. For those that like to kill an animal that is not dinner fare or an animal without economic value, let your conscience be your guide.

All that being said, you won't hurt my feelings by going ahead and locking this thread. What has been said has been said. I just don't see anything constructive coming and my intent really wasn't to roll a grenade into the forum. Ultimately we all share a common interest but when we start to eat our own the needle is moving in the wrong direction.

Are you really asking for your own thread to be locked down? :W:
Here's my take on it...shooting bunnies is fun, however I will agree that it doesn't need to be on TV. Then again, I don't know if I've ever seen a post complaining about all the shows where they slay yote after yote...nobody but rinella's eating those flea bags!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back