Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ass Clown

Big Fin- Something that was so common sense to some of us is obviously not agreed too by all of us.

My thought process is clear by the thread title. While I enjoy hunting and fishing, I do not kill just to kill.

I understand the need to cull some animals such as coyotes and ground hogs. I am totally fine with trapping. For those that like to kill an animal that is not dinner fare or an animal without economic value, let your conscience be your guide.

All that being said, you won't hurt my feelings by going ahead and locking this thread. What has been said has been said. I just don't see anything constructive coming and my intent really wasn't to roll a grenade into the forum. Ultimately we all share a common interest but when we start to eat our own the needle is moving in the wrong direction.

Man, is the hypocrisy really not just slapping you in the face?
Who gets to decide who is our "own"?

Keep backhanding everyone who doesn't agree with you and you will soon find that your "own" is a pretty small group.

Man, is the hypocrisy really not just slapping you in the face?
Who gets to decide who is our "own"?

Keep backhanding everyone who doesn't agree with you and you will soon find that your "own" is a pretty small group.

Ahhhh "own" is anyone that hunts?!? Let me help you a little. When hunters are disparaging hunters we collectively are not promoting or helping what we all enjoy. Make sense now?

Right. My point was that the target of your original frustration, this Pigman, would fall under the category of "anyone that hunts"....which you have deemed to be our "own".

Your axiom "When hunters are disparaging [to] hunters we collectively are not promoting or helping what we all enjoy" is one I agree with. If the end goal is solidarity, I would advise a strategy involving slightly less belligerent berating of one of our "own".

By the way....saw your comment about the Caps in the NHL thread.
If the Wild don't win it (which I'm sure they will), then I'm pulling for Ovi and the Caps. Possibly the most overdue team in any professional sport for winning a championship. Obviously I'm not including individual sports, otherwise Roy Nelson (UFC) is the clear front runner for "overdue to win a championship".
24_UFC_117_Weighin-Nelson2.jpg

I am not smart enough to draw and post an graph but it would have the vertical axis as the average temperature and slowly rising with the calendar year. The horizontal axis would be the Caps victories which have tended (before this year) to decrease as the season progesses. They would intersect at the exact end of the regular season..

Stirring The Pot GIF - StirringThePot Stir Stirring GIFs

Last edited:
We can pound out chests and even have initiation rituals where newcomers are hazed as if joining a college fraternity. You know, cut the shirt tail, smear deer blood on their face, etc. Our numbers are shrinking. Fewer big game hunters.

Know what there is more of these days? More political plays are made to sidestep wildlife biologists. In the state house and in the court house. Call it pussification and while you are at it walk up to current NFL hockey players that wear helmets (obvious pansies) and bull riders (d-bags for sure, am I right?). Or, have a reality check as you look at the calendar to see it is 2017. Adapt or perish. Yearn for glory days as you tilt at windmills as streak though the quad solo in Old School or perhaps realize a bit of video of a rabbit being atomized can go viral in the way a bloodied doctor being drug off a plane can go viral. A lot of voters without much opinion on hunting will form one and there are more of them than Skoal-spitting hunters crushing beer cans on their head (oh yeah, real men crush steel beer cans not the twinkly aluminum crap cans I see littered by campfires after slob hunters roll out of a campsite). If you want your manly men grandchildren to be able to grow up and hunt then is up to each of you to figure out what action you can take today to make it more likely hunting is an option.

This post makes no sense at all. Please tell me that you are not calling bull riders, dirt bags. Please translate this diatribe into English.

Hunting is changing and will eventually go the way of Europe. People are urbanized and don't have time, nor the desire to hunt as much-if at all. All of the animal rights people are attacking hunters and people like Pig Man (appropriately named) does not show well. That being said, there is nothing he is doing that is illegal and he is a great supporter of our rights, patriotism and the second amendment. I cannot stand the sight of him, but that is my choice. I just think he is a complete bozo, all hunting aside. If anyone does not like him, then change the channel. To me, there are damn few outdoor shows worth watching, anyway. What I am seeing here, is just more divisive crap from offended "hunters". The lines between leftist, man bun bs and the sportsman are becoming very gray. Everybody is butt hurt about something anymore.

I personally have no more problem with someone exploding a jackrabbit, or pdog on TV, than with someone worrying about how big the antlers are on the animals. Hunting's purpose has become skewed toward "look at me" and not "look at what I just put in my freezer", or "look at what I just did to help keep the herd healthy".

To each their own, but bashing someone for doing something that they LEGALLY do, does not cure the problem. Hunters are quick to bash each other and will never form a strong enough coalition to save the sport. This is also very evident in the competition for out-of-state permits. The mentality is "screw everybody else, because I can still afford the tag". Hunters will fade away because they have no will to combine forces.

Some things will never change.

Hunting is changing

Agree, as is everything. It always has, I'm sure the market hunters at the end of that era had similar feelings. Hunting didn't go away then it won't now, it will involve more technology, more social media, and hunters will more and more feel the need to justify their actions and carefully control their image.

People like Rinella are working hard to keep the tradition alive and help it evolve with the times. As the ethicist in Star in the Sky put it hunting has a PR problem, and I think being critical of members of our community for behavior that paints our sport in a bad light is important. I'm not sure if that criticism is best done in the open, or with a PM/behind closed doors. Probably depends a lot on the individual receiving the criticism and what will they will be most receptive to.

To be quite honest I think those who participate in the more fringe activities in our sport, what the general population sees as fringe, i.e. trapping, hunting with dogs, baiting, etc need to work the hardest to communicate why what they do is: 1. Ethical, 2. Biologically sustainable, 3. Valuable to society as a whole.

Previous generations didn't have to deal with this, but it's the new reality.

People are more and more moving to urban areas, but their are lots of people in those urban areas that want to get involved in hunting, I've helped a couple of them do it. These are the kind of people, who if recruited will be the best at helping the current generation of hunters articulate our message to the general public.

Old crustys mentoring hipster hunters is probably one of the more important things going on right now... and folks it's the internet age, so I'm not suggesting you have to even talk to talk to anyone in person. There are a ton of adult onset urban hunters on this forum right now.

Guys like @Oak posting about CO sheep and season structures is really helpful, they are teach the new comers how the systems work, showing them how to get involved, and telling them why it's important.

Back