Arizona Coues deer

BuzzH

Just spent 14 days hunting Coues deer in Arizona, and what a great time!

May as well say from the start I ended up not shooting a deer and only chambered a round one time in 14 days.

But, IMO, Coues deer are about as challenging, over-all, as any deer you'll ever hunt. They are extremely cautious, tough to glass, live in some rough country for a deer, small targets, etc. etc. A real test of your over-all deer hunting abilities. Patience, persistence, shooting ability, glassing ability, stalking, all are tested while hunting these guys. I found success pretty easily on my first 2 hunts, but was looking for a deer that would be better than my first 2.

I crunched the numbers from my journal and I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 hours behind glass. I saw 74 bucks and 450 total deer give or take a few. Of those 74 bucks I saw 5 that were very good. Passed on 3 that I probably shouldn't have, got winded by one at the last second prior to getting him killed, and found one that was on land I couldn't hunt.

The bucks I passed on that I could have killed (and likely should have) were a very heavy old buck that just didn't have much for G-3's but had awesome bladed eye guards with a 2 inch sticker off one of the eye guards (passed him twice once at 80 yards), a 5x4 with a 4 inch point on the inside of his drivers side main beam, and a 6x5 that had a split G-2 on one side and 2, 3 inch stickers off the base of his passenger side.

Anyway, a few pics of the country:

1230150858b.jpg

DSC01032.JPG

Had about every kind of weather, including snow:

DSC01034.JPG

Crap picture with my phone through the spotter...the 6x5 with the non-typical points:

1223150801d.jpg

Found these from a glassing point between 2 large canyons:

1224151736a.jpg

1224151736.jpg

1224151757.jpg

All in all, a great 14 days in the desert and I really took the time to just slow down and concentrate on deer hunting...something I haven't done for a while. Killing a deer seemed not that important.

I cant wait to go again and will do so as soon as I can draw again.

Great pics and story.
Have done some javelina hunting in AZ and loved it. I was around Globe in February (nice break from winter). The desert definetly makes spotting game a challenge.

Looks like a fun and challenging fun. I would like to try to hunt them sneaky desert deer sometime.

Thanks for the post. I leave Wednesday for a week in AZ bow hunting coues. I agree with everything you said about hunting them. I will be looking for redemption after a 38 yd. miss on a dandy buck last year. Can't wait!

I'm sure you had a nice break from the Wyoming weather.

Deffinately on my bucket list for sure. Did you backpack, truck/tent camp, hotel, or other. It's a hunt I could conceivable do with my kids in the future but I figure a backpack in hunt may be too much. They sure are pretty animals. Glad you had a great hunt despite not filling a tag. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool. That's something I'd really to do and could probably pull the tag this year or next.

Cool!
I'm seriously concidering them here in NM soon,since I see them and think they would be very much like a blacktail to hunt. Close in.
The country I see them in is very dense brush & oak/pine tree country compare to the desert.
Elk & muley country. Ran into a bunch the last few years,more than mulies.

Looks like you had a great time. One of the most fun hunts I've done. Can't wait for my next chance.

Worse ways to spend 14 days. Obviously blood didn't need to be drawn to make this a successful hunt.

Sounds like a great way to spend the holidays! I need a present like that next year. Interesting country, and those petroglyphs are a nice find.

Man that looks fun. What a great way to escape the cold.

Nice pictures Buzz. As we were driving around the state I was wondering if you were down there hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back