Caribou Gear Tarp

Anyone Want to Talk About Lonesome Dove (Book)?

shannerdrake

I just finished Lonesome Dove. I honestly had a hard time putting it down. I'm pretty sure I read the entire thing in two weeks. I also started reading the sequel.

I know it is considered one of the greatest books of its time, but curious to hear what any of you think about it. Reading the book I loved it, but felt a little flat when I finished it.

At 843 pages there's no economy of words although McMurtry paints many of his characters one dimensionally. I read it after the TV series and enjoyed the book immensely. I was hooked when McMurtry explained Gus's sourdough biscuit regimen. The ending wasn't flat to me...wish it'd been more pages.

I read the book once a year, since ai bought it 3 years ago. Great read

At 843 pages there's no economy of words although McMurtry paints many of his characters one dimensionally. I read it after the TV series and enjoyed the book immensely. I was hooked when McMurtry explained Gus's sourdough biscuit regimen. The ending wasn't flat to me...wish it'd been more pages.
I wanted a biscuit every time I read about their breakfast.

I really appreciated how every main character got a backstory in the book. You'd get a chapter or two for each character to understand what brought them to that moment.

Inverse to that, I really was disappointed how some of those rich backstories were just gone with little more said after that.

I also appreciated how the tragedy was embraced. There were very few "happy endings" and not everyone became better versions of themselves. It's much truer to life than the watered down Disney point of view engrained into mass media.

Last edited:
I read the book once a year, since ai bought it 3 years ago. Great read
It takes me that long to read through it. I love it though. “ I love the conversations between Call and McRae. You can tell from the writers perspective that the two of them go back so far and have such a deep history that they keep each other in line and make each other better.

I just finished Lonesome Dove. I honestly had a hard time putting it down. I'm pretty sure I read the entire thing in two weeks. I also started reading the sequel.

I know it is considered one of the greatest books of its time, but curious to hear what any of you think about it. Reading the book I loved it, but felt a little flat when I finished it.
Love this book! I don’t read much but I will complete this one once a year as well.

I loved that book! I was not much of a book reader and got that in college over 30 years ago as a Christmas present. I actually laughed at the thought of pleasure feeding during college. However, once I started, I could not put it down. It is a great book and launched me into reading a lot more books. I read all the sequels and thought they were ok but not bear as good as the original.

I am also love the unabridged version of the Count of Monte Cristo.

If you proceed with the series, realize that McMurtry was very depressed at times, and it really shows as the books become darker and darker. Somewhat like Cormac McCarthy.

His earlier works, like The Last Picture Show, Leaving Cheyenne, and Horseman, Pass By are somewhat melancholy but nowhere near as despondent as his later stuff.

That may be your thing, just be forewarned.

McMurty and McCarthy definitely have some "tortured artist" vibe coming through.

I'd also love to have a discussion on how they both present old Mexico, but I think that's probably for another time in another forum.

I took a break from Streets of Laredo and am reading The Last Full Measure by Michael Shaara. I read Killer Angels before visiting Gettysburg and it was extremely impactful.

I'll start the new Longmire book soon. There is usually one released in September which lines up nicely with hunting season. Seeing that I'm hunting Region C this season, it is more than fitting to read a Longmire Mystery based in the same landscape.

McMurty and McCarthy definitely have some "tortured artist" vibe coming through.

I'd also love to have a discussion on how they both present old Mexico, but I think that's probably for another time in another forum.

I took a break from Streets of Laredo and am reading The Last Full Measure by Michael Shaara. I read Killer Angels before visiting Gettysburg and it was extremely impactful.

I'll start the new Longmire book soon. There is usually one released in September which lines up nicely with hunting season. Seeing that I'm hunting Region C this season, it is more than fitting to read a Longmire Mystery based in the same landscape.
Streets of Laredo was a great read as well!

I find McMurtry's Dry humor to be absolutely delightful. His Description of situations , Especially in the book Texasville made me guffaw at the droll tone it was written.

I loved the bleakness and despair he put into the characters and places. It wasn't always comfortable to read, but really set the stage..

Back