AK Inner Passage Cruise

FairWeather

My wife booked us for an AK cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line for the last week of June. Has anyone here been on one of these? Have any recommendations for what to do and/or avoid?

My wife grew up on POW, and we lived in Anchorage for a few years, so this isn’t either of ours first time to AK. Which is good, because I have a sinking feeling that it’s mostly going to be us stuck on the boat, and then having to hurriedly run around to actually do any real activities when we make port.

I’d love to get some fishing in, but no idea about if there’s freezer storage in the ship, or even enough time when we dock to get to a fishable stream.

If you have experiences or suggestions, I’d love to hear them!

My wife booked us for an AK cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line for the last week of June. Has anyone here been on one of these? Have any recommendations for what to do and/or avoid?

My wife grew up on POW, and we lived in Anchorage for a few years, so this isn’t either of ours first time to AK. Which is good, because I have a sinking feeling that it’s mostly going to be us stuck on the boat, and then having to hurriedly run around to actually do any real activities when we make port.

I’d love to get some fishing in, but no idea about if there’s freezer storage in the ship, or even enough time when we dock to get to a fishable stream.

If you have experiences or suggestions, I’d love to hear them!
Which ship are you going on, and what are your ports of call? I've been on a couple of them and will try to provide some insight.

I did a similar cruise for my honeymoon 13 years ago. I’m quite sure it was NCL as well. Departed from Seattle, stopped at Victoria, BC, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Juneau and also went into Glacier Bay Park. Normally I think cruises suck, but this was cool because you could always see land and marine animals even on the boat travel days. The passage also broke up the swells pretty good so seasickness seemed less of a problem overall for people. I do agree it kind of stinks to have only like 8-12 hour daytime excursions but it was still a lot of fun. That’s probably the only cruise I’d recommend to someone. Feel free to PM for more info.

Take an extra few days or week at the end of the cruise to fish. Thats what many fam did years ago after a Princess cruise. There was never time in the ports to fish.

Take an extra few days or week at the end of the cruise to fish. Thats what many fam did years ago after a Princess cruise. There was never time in the ports to fish.
That sounds like a great option had that been in mind when it was booked. Work demands that we’re back the next week :/

We took an inside passage cruise with Princess for our honeymoon in June 2008. We did fly out fishing trips in Juneau and Ketchikan and a salmon charter in Skagway. Many of the businesses in the ports of call at that time were either owned by the cruise lines or sync their schedules and day trips to match cruise line schedules. Yes time is short, but we got to do it. We released everything we caught except for 1 fish which we had frozen and shipped home. I don’t remember that procedure. It was a great trip and something that would be fun to do again.

We just booked a salmon trolling charter out of Ketchikan, so that’s taken care of now. I’m pumped!! Now I just have to figure out how to get any fish we catch back home.
Ship them. Pretty costly but a box holds 50 pounds. Don't think you can keep them on the ship.

I see you booked in Ketchikan, that'll be fun. If you have time book a trip with Mark Hieronymos out of Juneau. 20 years guiding up there I met a lot of good fishermen, he is the best I ever fished with.
Google him, Fish Alaska Mag just did an article on his flys, he'll get you on fish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back