Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

@rogerthat - Because people have to live somewhere and do business somewhere. You remember 2009, 2010? Houses abandoned, construction stopped and credit not given to most. So people and businesses rented more than bought.
Gotcha. Well is there risk that people stop paying their leases also? Seems like it could go either way. With this admin I wouldn’t be surprised if they told everyone to stop paying rent like during Covid

Scranton Joe, the railroaders best friend.
"Shine my shoes boy", you don't get a sick day off til next year, if you earned it.
Systematically understaffed, overworked and no time off unless pre-approved. Railroads used slave labor, then got Chinese immigrants for a while, then convict lease programs. Tracks are still privately owned. What do you think would happen if I declared a mile of I-10 private and put two guys out there on call to maintain the road with no time off?

Systematically understaffed, overworked and no time off unless pre-approved. Railroads used slave labor, then got Chinese immigrants for a while, then convict lease programs. Tracks are still privately owned. What do you think would happen if I declared a mile of I-10 private and put two guys out there on call to maintain the road with no time off?
I typically side with workers, but in this case I think both groups got less than they wanted, which is how a negotiation should end. 8 of 12 unions had already voted to ratify the deal, workers get a 24% pay increase over 5yrs and annual payments of $1000. 15days of paid sick time seems a bit much.

I typically side with workers, but in this case I think both groups got less than they wanted, which is how a negotiation should end. 8 of 12 unions had already voted to ratify the deal, workers get a 24% pay increase over 5yrs and annual payments of $1000. 15days of paid sick time seems a bit much.
I think 10 days of sick leave a year with no cap on the amount you can accumulate.

Any unused sick leave when you retire goes to credited retirement time to give an incentive to not use it as vacation. Set some requirements for use of sick days over say 3 consecutive days requiring proof of a doctor's visit.

There is no reason that an employee should have to use all their pto and set up a GoFundMe account because they go through cancer and other long term health problems.

I would rather have a 10 percent pay increase with 10 days of paid sick leave than a 24 percent pay raise and no sick leave.

I have over 2000 hours of accrued sick leave. It's comforting knowing if the shit hits the fan, I have enough sick leave to recover from a surgery or major health issue and also assist my immediate family if they have issues. I also carry over maximum annual leave (240 hours) from year to year for the same reason.

I think 10 days of sick leave a year with no cap on the amount you can accumulate.

Any unused sick leave when you retire goes to credited retirement time to give an incentive to not use it as vacation. Set some requirements for use of sick days over say 3 consecutive days requiring proof of a doctor's visit.

There is no reason that an employee should have to use all their pto and set up a GoFundMe account because they go through cancer and other long term health problems.

I would rather have a 10 percent pay increase with 10 days of paid sick leave than a 24 percent pay raise and no sick leave.

I have over 2000 hours of accrued sick leave. It's comforting knowing if the shit hits the fan, I have enough sick leave to recover from a surgery or major health issue and also assist my immediate family if they have issues. I also carry over maximum annual leave (240 hours) from year to year for the same reason.
At the very least I think it should be obvious that you wouldn't want Congress to determine what your contract looks like. A lot of those people have never worked a day in their life.
It seems like you have reasonable deal and you planned for the future. I suspect a lot of people wouldn't bank them, even if allowed to. And given i'm married to one, I'm sure doctors don't want to be be bothered with signing notes to confirm a person is unable to work.

At the very least I think it should be obvious that you wouldn't want Congress to determine what your contract looks like. A lot of those people have never worked a day in their life.
It seems like you have reasonable deal and you planned for the future. I suspect a lot of people wouldn't bank them, even if allowed to. And given i'm married to one, I'm sure doctors don't want to be be bothered with signing notes to confirm a person is unable to work.
I agree mostly.

The reason given for employers not wanting to allow paid sick leave is because of employees using it as vacation. That's why the need for incentives and requirements of a doctor's note.

I've never been to a hospital or doctor that found scribbling a note or typing a couple lines to be a bother or problem.

Plus, managers could use common sense and only require a doctor's report if they suspect abuse. We have that requirement but I've never been asked or questioned when I've used sick leave on rare occasions. Being responsible has it's upside...for everyone, and not a single downside. Pretty obvious someone with 2000 hours of accrued sick leave isn't abusing it or needs to be questioned.

But, paid sick leave should be a given, we can negotiate the terms all day long.

People coming to work sick is a real problem safety wise, spreading to your co- workers, etc. I don't think it's a good idea to have someone controlling a freight train running a 102 fever suffering from say pneumonia is a great idea...or safe.

I've never been to a hospital or doctor that found scribbling a note or typing a couple lines to be a bother or problem.
running a 102 fever suffering from say pneumonia
I don't think any Dr would have a problems signing a note for that person. I can assure you that is not the majority who go to the ER asking for a note. ;)

When I was younger I worked building maintenance for a university. When you called in sick, you had to have a doctors note. It was the dumbest damn thing.

So I, someone who is kind of broke, I’m sick for three days. I got to get a doctors note (costs money) (costs time). If you have a primary care, fat chance you can get in while you’re actually sick or even that week. So you’re going to your doctor and say I was sick last week can you write me a note? He rolls his eyes and does it. You pay for it. I have a cold I don’t want to spread to anyone, but I don’t need to go to the damn doctor, but due to the requirements of my job I have to go to urgent care to get a note that I’ve got a cough and the sniffles. I absolutely hated it. In instances of abuse it makes sense, but as a blanket policy it’s dumber than hell and really kind of punishing.

I understand why, in some careers, vacation and sick leave is separate. But when possible, it should just all be personal leave, and no one’s business why. People use sick leave for “ mental health“ days all the time, which I think is actually often valid, but good luck getting a doctors note.

It’s much more pleasant to work for a place that treats you like a grown-up and expects you to act like one. I know that’s not the case everywhere for both employers or employees.

I don't think any Dr would have a problems signing a note for that person. I can assure you that is not the majority who go to the ER asking for a note. ;)
I called my doctor and asked if he would write a letter when I was diagnosed with blood clots in my lung and leg to reserve my moose permit for next fall. He said, "sure, I'll have it ready in 10 minutes, don't want to waste that tag".

Always have liked that Doctor, and ended up not reserving the tag and didn't need the letter.

My best man is a railroad employee. Veteran Navy SWCC, E5. Solid dude who would never abuse leave as that’s not his character. Was headed to work this year when he got a call about home emergency and had to use ONE DAY of leave. As it wasn’t pre-approved that’s points in his employee file.

My best man is a railroad employee. Veteran Navy SWCC, E5. Solid dude who would never abuse leave as that’s not his character. Was headed to work this year when he got a call about home emergency and had to use ONE DAY of leave. As it wasn’t pre-approved that’s points in his employee file.
Meanwhile I work for MSFT and if my dog pukes I could take the day off without warning

Meanwhile I work for MSFT and if my dog pukes I could take the day off without warning
There is certainly a difference between the jobs of a MSFT employee and a train engineer. The logistics of moving goods via train in a timely manner are incredible. My understanding is the old contract had a lot of guarantees that make sure employees don't get overworked and ensures they get home, which is important. I do agree I don't want the guy with a 102 fever driving a train, but I also don't want a guy calling in sick because the duck hinting weather looks promising. The variety of humans makes it tough to set a standard set of rules that would be fair to all. Some people wouldn't call in sick even when they were, others only would in an emergency, some would call in sick for no reason at all. I don't feel sorry for the company or the CEO, but I do feel sorry for the person who has to find a replacement.

I had 1500 hrs of sick leave and 16 days of vaca time on the books when I was getting ready to retire after they offered me a early package....but the super hated me and tried everything he could to keep me from using the time.
Heard he was demanding a Dr. note for the sick leave. I called my DR and he went to the Admin building and handed a note to my super saying he would testify at his trial when he sent me over the edge...

I was gone for a month and found my place. I wore the uniform one last day and left early.
Heard they had a go away party.

Hard to imagine working for a company who does not offer SL as part of their benefits.

Our agreement between management and employee (CBA) and also based on OPM directive:
After 72hrs, a request by management may be made for a letter from Doctor. *Exception: Documented prior or substantiated concern of abuse.

Reality, it's not simply a physical injury or Illness. SL may be used as, family sick leave (FSL). Heck, a key component of today: Stress due to any number of life's situations. This is a valid use of SL, in the wake of mental illness. In the LEO world, mental illness has gained significant traction vs the taboo of the past due to the increased suicide rate, nationally.

A person's not restricted to their bedroom/house for "stress" related use of SL.

Example (extreme): A person walking his / her dog, playing ball, hunting, fishing, golf, etc spotted by a manager and reported. Employee's advised to bring a medical letter prior to the 72hr rule. The employee may assert his/her "request" for review by a designated [Agency] medical consultant as a manager holds no professional capability to evaluate medical related correspondence. It's valid for the manager to report the observation, valid to request medical letter, AND valid to use days to unwind from stress. Same as with the flu. Certain medical means to overcome the illness as with mental illness. You don't need to see a doctor over the flu nor do you need to see a doctor/psychologist over stress.

SL is a value necessary to the employee and family. Private or Government, it's all about negotiations during interviews and Union / Management negotiated CBAs...

As Hank mentions above, this is COMMON practice to use SL to close out time until retired. It's hours earned - How is that a valid use of SL for sake of conversation? However, it IS used for most all on the last months towards retirement. Need a Doc note? Sure, maybe... occasionally. Obtainable? 100%.

On the topic of Stock Market, here's a "Week Ahead" Note credit for the full quote at the bottom:

"The energy market will be in focus next week in the wake of an OPEC+ meeting that begins over the weekend. Investors will react to the group's update on production plans, as well factor in the impact of European Union's sanctions on the purchases of Russia's seaborne crude exports and a potential G-7 price cap on Russian oil.
Global central banks will also be in the spotlight with the Reserve Bank of Australia and the Bank of Canada both anticipated to raise interest rates, although FOMC members in the U.S. will be quiet as a part of a blackout period ahead of the December 14-15 meeting.
In one of the last Fedspeak updates, New York President John Williams said he thinks the FOMC has a ways to go on raising rates. Meanwhile, economists think Friday's strong jobs report is likely to generate more calls for a 75 -point hike from some Fed officials at the December meeting.
Fed watchers will also key on the upcoming producer price index report next week as an inflation gauge. Outside the focus on oil and interest rates, key earnings reports for the week ahead include updates from AutoZone (NYSE:AZO), Costco (NASDAQ:COST), and Lululemon (NASDAQ:LULU).
A busy week of corporate events includes key investor meetings for Southwest Airlines (LUV), Norfolk Southern (NSC), and Glencore (OTCPK:GLCNF), as well as a wave of tech and media companies appearing at the UBS Global TMT Conference."

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back