Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Any new equipment ideas

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Every year, it seems like I find some new cool thing(s) that makes my hunting that much more successful. Most often it is something small, less than $100, and makes me say, "Why didn't I think of that.?"

For 2010, my two best discoveries were the Be The Decoy pronghorn hat and the map chips from www.huntingGPSmaps.com.

Interested in what you guys found last year that I might be overlooking.

Sometimes the best discoveries are a homemade device or system that some ingenious hunter figured out as a solution to a problem we all have. Every time I hunt with IDBugler he seems to have something I add to the bag of tricks that allows me to get rid of other devices. I hate being so far behind everyone's learning curve.

If you guys have cool items or ideas you want to share, I would like to know about them. I am in simplification mode, so I am looking to replace complex, cumbersome, stuff with simple items that do the same trick, or make some of the tasks easier.

I think mine was using a kayak for a meat hauling sled. If only I had a tag left to use it when we actually had some snow. I'd love to get video of a kayak packed with 100lbs of elk ripping down a meadow at 40mph.

Did you use the huntinggpsmaps in CO? How accurate were they? I might get the CO version for my dad and the MT one for the hunt with my nephew.

After this season seeing Fin sleep like a baby on his Neo air pad I had to get one. Incredibly light and compact. I can't wait to try mine out this summer and fall.
Fins GpS with private and public marked is a new must for me as well. Nothing like hunting and not worrying about property lines. Missed a nice buck a couple seasons ago because of not knowing.

Funny.. Fin's looking for newer and better and I'm just trying to get his old scraps:D

Thanks for letting me tag along its like a kid in a sporting goods store.

Last edited:
Did you use the huntinggpsmaps in CO? How accurate were they? I might get the CO version for my dad and the MT one for the hunt with my nephew.

Yup. Used the CO chip. Was great. Was as accurate as the data that is supplied to them, which, I found to be plenty accurate for the areas I hunted in CO.

I made a little clip for my rangefinder that allows it to clip on my shirt pocket or pack. It can use 2 different types of clips, belt type clip or an alligator type. Also has a spring loaded teather so if it slips off, it wont hit the ground, and also after I range something I can let it go and get down to the business at hand. Cost me about 8 bucks to make.

Fin, try out that Hammock..... you may never go back to ground sleeping again

I made a little clip for my rangefinder that allows it to clip on my shirt pocket or pack. It can use 2 different types of clips, belt type clip or an alligator type. Also has a spring loaded teather so if it slips off, it wont hit the ground, and also after I range something I can let it go and get down to the business at hand. Cost me about 8 bucks to make.

Sturge - you got any pictures of that? I am always fumbling with my range finder, especially in archery season.

I bought an iPhone just for an app out there called Pocket Outfitter. The app only costs $20 and it basically gives you the same information as the hunting GPS maps does except it is for all the states instead of one and costs much less. You can download maps and save them so you don't need to have cell phone coverage when you use it. Works great for checkerboard lands.

You can have it show topographical or aerial and then put a land ownership overlay on top of either. Pretty neat.

Cost more than $100, but my most useful equipment purchase for 2010 ended up being my eberlestock J34 pack. I know everyone here seems to be Mystery Ranch guys, but the eberlestock was a HUGE improvement over my old pack and I'm very happy with it.

Got tired of my rifle and muzzleloader sliding off my shoulder or always feeling like I had to keep a hand on it while going up, down or thru some nasty stuff. I use the Claw for my slings and my pack has the rubberized shoulder strap but it was still an issue. So I took a 1"x1" .99$ cabinet bracket and bent it to the shape of a "J", I then sewed it to the highest part on my shoulder strap, has about a 1/2" hook to it and works awesome. Much more secure than a button. You can stop and glass or just walk and have no worries.

Also started packing a few Capri Sun packs from the kids stash, the sugar really hits the spot sometimes and wrap up nice and tight when finished.

Other than that I started packing bud-light with me to cut down on weight instead of Bud.:D

Have you tried putting a Kifaru Gun Bearer on that Mystery Ranch pack?

I found it strange at first to have the barrel in line of sight, but now it goes with whenever I rifle hunt.

Thats very similar to what I used, except it cost me $4 on ebay. I found that this being used by itself didnt work for me. As you walk along or shift around while sitting, the rangefinder swings and flops around, thats what the clip is for. The clip is atached with a bolt where the tripod goes and the teather attaches to the clip. Randy, what kind of rangefinder do you have? I still have material left over and can whip one up for you.

Got tired of my rifle and muzzleloader sliding off my shoulder or always feeling like I had to keep a hand on it while going up, down or thru some nasty stuff. I use the Claw for my slings and my pack has the rubberized shoulder strap but it was still an issue. So I took a 1"x1" .99$ cabinet bracket and bent it to the shape of a "J", I then sewed it to the highest part on my shoulder strap, has about a 1/2" hook to it and works awesome. Much more secure than a button. You can stop and glass or just walk and have no worries.

Also started packing a few Capri Sun packs from the kids stash, the sugar really hits the spot sometimes and wrap up nice and tight when finished.

Other than that I started packing bud-light with me to cut down on weight instead of Bud.:D

Not to bust this thread, but have you ever tried zip fizz?

Randy, what kind of rangefinder do you have? I still have material left over and can whip one up for you.

Thanks, Sturge. I have a Leupold RX-1000 TBR. I owe you.

Are you young enough that I can transfer my AZ early rifle elk tag to you? Darn, you know I would, if you were young enough. ;)

I got a question....I won the Hunting maps from the BAYED....was out trying out yesterday and found it to be a couple hundred feet off...now is it the gps or the maps?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back