Caribou Gear

Any new equipment ideas

I did forget about that Nikon retractable range finder thing. I have one and love it. Since somewhere on a ridge in Alaska is my other one:( My wife made me get this thing and I haven't lost the new rangefinder yet:D I don't use the carrying case I just snap it to my belt loop above my pocket and let hang down and into my pocket for protection. It's great for archery when your ranging a lot.

We need Leupold to make one so that I don't have to put electricians tape over the logo.

I use a trout net retractor for my rangefinder. Got it in Cabelas bargain cave a couple years ago for $2.50 and covered it with camo duct tape. It works great and is really quite.

I discovered watermelon flavored jolly ranchers really hit the spot: light weight, inexpensive, and full of flavor. Now that was some sweet nectar.

I know from experience how you can save room in your pack for more esoteric gadgets. You need less room for TP when you do not eat the General Tso chicken at Panda Buffet the night before general opener.....

Thats very similar to what I used, except it cost me $4 on ebay. I found that this being used by itself didnt work for me. As you walk along or shift around while sitting, the rangefinder swings and flops around, thats what the clip is for. The clip is atached with a bolt where the tripod goes and the teather attaches to the clip. Randy, what kind of rangefinder do you have? I still have material left over and can whip one up for you.

sturge, could you post a pic or pm one to me. I am interestsed in what you got there. I have tried many different commercial items and have not found one that works for me yet. Thanks

I'll get some up tomorrow. No camera here at the moment and cell phone pics wont do well.

I know from experience how you can save room in your pack for more esoteric gadgets. You need less room for TP when you do not eat the General Tso chicken at Panda Buffet the night before general opener.....

Or as my brother did one year when mom and dad used to camp tend when he ate most of a pan of rice krispie treats night before opening. Went to jump a little creek the next morning and stuff HAPPENED.
This story has been told in camp for 10+ years. You hear it and just wants to make you cry!!!
A family at it's best.

Jolley Ranchers are good, but if you have a hard climb ahead of you, pop one of these!!!

thumbnail.aspx

Here are the pics. As you can see there is a gap between the "belt" clip and the rangefinder. Thats not normally there but I have taken this off and on about 20 times today and got a little bowed in the process. Normally it is flush up against it. The pics also show the big spring clip on and off. Be carefull with the spring clip. Its firmer than some jumper cables I have used and will take off a nipple :) . The pic with the pack shows it will slide onto to any strap and the tether than be attached wherever you want. The way this is set up, when you go to grab the rangefinder it is in your hand exactly how you are going to use it. No turning it around. This also applies to when the spring clip is on. Your thumb is right on the clip. And goes back the same way. 1 fluid motion. Same applies to either left or right handed folks.

Attachments

• IMG_9203.jpg
    IMG_9203.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_9204.jpg
    IMG_9204.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_9205.jpg
    IMG_9205.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_9206.jpg
    IMG_9206.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Those S4 Sidewinders are coming up as the next product on camofire today. They looked a little pricey at $35 on their site, camofire site is showing they will have them at 54% off so that might be in my price range for something like that.

Only real drawback I see is that it doesn't appear to have any type of quick dettach system. Their newer EVO has that but it isn't on sale at camofire! :(

Very tempting to buy one, but with a backpack on it would be hard to put on a belt on my pants and if it was attached to my backpack strap which would be ideal most of the time I couldn't bring it with me if I ditched the backpack to put a quick stalk on something.

Last edited:
I asked on camofire and it looks like the one they are going to run is the same as the EVO.

Here's the quote from Kendall.
Truth be told, the ION that will be on the site is EXACTLY the same build as the EVO. The ION is the model they built for the golf industry so they branded it a different name. Leupold bought the ION name/model to distribute it in the golf industry so S4Gear needed a place to move the remaining ION models that were branded S4Gear. We’ve inspected these against the EVO and they are one in the same.

We have enough of these they will be on a couple of times. But be careful you don’t miss out if you do want one cause this is a one time opportunity for us and for Camofire nation

So at 54% off they will be just a smidge over $20, I think I'll probably snag at least one.

That sidewinder is a pretty fancy device and has all that NASA technology. But as far as I can tell by those pics, the tether attaches by a sort of a quick release plate like with tripods. In that pic is a rangefinder which is used in a horizontal position. Most rangefinders are not that way and attach to a tripod on the bottom, which means the sidewinder would keep the rangefinder perpendicular to your body, slapping back and forth as you walk. Thats based on what I can see in the pics, I could be wrong.

The newer version has several different ways to attach to the rangefinder. Adhesive backing, velcro strap, etc.. I think one for my rangefinder and one for my GPS, one on each backpack strap. The new version has the quick release so you can just push a button and take them with you.

s4gear_ion-cad-drawings-400.jpg

It shows you can attach the clip at 8 different positions, and you attach it to your device on any flat smooth surface.

I'm such a sucker for deals! I bought 3 and will give one to my hunting buddy.

Last edited:
I bought one from camofire as well, for price it seems good and being able to move it from belt to pack without threading it through a belt and being able to disconnect it really put it over the top.

What I have been doing is not new but it can be helpful. I have been replacing the rope I usually carry with some rope I found at REI that has a little strip of reflector in it. I have taken all of the cord off of my small tent and replaced it with this stuff so I will see it easily with a flashlight. I also use it for a pull up rope on my treestands. The reason I like it so much is it is strong and looks normal until you hit it with artificial light, then it stands out. I ended up getting it for .30 a foot at REI. Hope this helps someone else out. The rope pictured is 3mm thick.

Normal
IMG_2520.JPG

Artificial light
IMG_2521.JPG

Back