Caribou Gear

Anti hunting group buys hunting rights

This should be required of anyone who offers simple solutions.

Behold the exciting technical writing styles of bureaucracy!

Actually they need to up their game -- not complicated enough. A while back the US DOL wrote 776 pages to "clarify" a two page law from 1937.

I read this more as an issue of indigenous interests vs general public rather than hunter vs anti hunter. I presume that members of these two First Nations will still be permitted to hunt this area by their governing bodies.

I imagine these color phase bears were pretty sought after as trophy animals. The cultural significance of these glacier bears made the area more valuable to them, and they had to money to buy it, so they did.

I read this more as an issue of indigenous interests vs general public rather than hunter vs anti hunter. I presume that members of these two First Nations will still be permitted to hunt this area by their governing bodies.

I imagine these color phase bears were pretty sought after as trophy animals. The cultural significance of these glacier bears made the area more valuable to them, and they had to money to buy it, so they did.
Raincoast bought the concessions. You can read their bios here and get an understanding of their philosophies.

The land in question is crown land. Open to all residents of BC to hunt with a valid hunting license. This purchase just stops non residents from hunting there. It is a transaction between a willing buyer and willing seller, and is what it is.

i dunno. sure don't like it. but kinda sounds like willing seller/willing buyer, right?

can't imagine being a guy/group that sells out on something like that though. i guess if the price is right...

The main issue here is that those outfitters have lost out on grizzly hunting. They're holding onto the rights for their territory without grizzly hunts revenues since 2017. These outfits paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions, for these hunting territories/tags that they can no longer afford.

I would challenge anyone who says they wouldn't sell to such groups when it came down to either feeding your kids or giving rich non-resident hunters the opportunity to hunt your territory. At the end of the day, it is situation unchanged for residents, if anything, there will be less pressure for them.

The main issue here is that anti-hunting groups are gaining a crap-ton of momentum. It starts with grizzly hunting bans and buying territories/tags allocated to guides and outfitters and who knows where it's going next, but we all know what their end-game is...

The main issue here is that those outfitters have lost out on grizzly hunting. They're holding onto the rights for their territory without grizzly hunts revenues since 2017. These outfits paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions, for these hunting territories/tags that they can no longer afford.

I would challenge anyone who says they wouldn't sell to such groups when it came down to either feeding your kids or giving rich non-resident hunters the opportunity to hunt your territory. At the end of the day, it is situation unchanged for residents, if anything, there will be less pressure for them.

The main issue here is that anti-hunting groups are gaining a crap-ton of momentum. It starts with grizzly hunting bans and buying territories/tags allocated to guides and outfitters and who knows where it's going next, but we all know what their end-game is...
They are working the predator angle hard, first, just like Colorado.

"Brian Falconer
Safeguarding Coastal Carnivores Program Director
Brian Falconer has been a commercial mariner for over 35 years on the coasts of BC and Alaska. Formerly a bush pilot and sport fishing lodge owner, he was owner-operator of Maple leaf Adventures Ltd., and for 17 years offered natural history and First Nations cultural history tours on the classic schooner Maple Leaf on the coasts of BC and Alaska. Wildlife and bears in particular were a large part of these trips. As former director of marine operations for Raincoast Conservation Foundation, he was responsible for the management of the marine research programs.

As Safeguarding Coastal Carnivores Program Director, he leads the project to end commercial hunting in the Great Bear Rainforest by acquiring the tenures which confer exclusive commercial hunting rights over vast areas. Brian has worked for over 2 decades on the Raincoast-led campaign which, last year, ended the killing of grizzly bears in BC. He has guided many people to powerful experiences with bears and was a founding member of the Canadian Bear Viewing Association."

Over 700 contributors world wide including Patagonia, raised $1.92 million for their cause. They are putting their money where their mouth is.

Over 700 contributors world wide including Patagonia, raised $1.92 million for their cause. They are putting their money where their mouth is.

This.

The anti-hunting crowd is much better organized than we are and they actually can rally behind one cause to accomplish their goals.

We're too busy fighting eachother while our self-appointed hunting "leaders" are busy flexing Accubows in their living rooms dressed in Sitka.

This.

The anti-hunting crowd is much better organized than we are and they actually can rally behind one cause to accomplish their goals.

We're too busy fighting eachother while our self-appointed hunting "leaders" are busy flexing Accubows in their living rooms dressed in Sitka.
Hunters are the biggest apathetic cheapskates on the planet...fact.

The only time the dust flies out of their wallets, to "benefit hunting" is when they can buy a tag to kill something (Governors tags, commission tags, etc.).

Otherwise you need half a stick of dynamite to get their wallets open.

The only time the dust flies out of their wallets, to "benefit hunting" is when they can buy a tag to kill something (Governors tags, commission tags, etc.).

That's a crock, buzz. I don't know personally a single person who has ever purchased a governors tag. I do know a lot of people who have for many years, and continue to be very generous with their limited money and time to benefit hunting and wildlife.

Your rants are getting old.

That's a crock, buzz. I don't know personally a single person who has ever purchased a governors tag. I do know a lot of people who have for many years, and continue to be very generous with their limited money and time to benefit hunting and wildlife.

Your rants are getting old.
No, its not a crock, its a fact.

Please show me the last time hunters contributed, without a wealth tag in it, what you pulled from that article:

Over 700 contributors world wide including Patagonia, raised $1.92 million for their cause.

I can show you post after post after post on here, and any other hunting board, apathetic hunters complaining about the cost of licenses. Try getting them to simply donate to a cause, even one that benefits them directly.

We're having trouble raising $150K to open access to 8.3 million acres...if it required 1.92 million, it wouldn't happen.

Its not a rant, its the simple facts. Hunters are tightwads when it comes to supporting anything, including the wildlife they pretend to care about, access they claim to care about, land purchases, etc. etc.

Buying licenses is "going all out"...oh wow, thanks.

I'm always in amazement when disagreements with Buzz start up. Not who I'd pick to engage with over a topic in this realm. Glad he's involved and engaged at the level he is. But the scary part is that every year the number of people with a sportsman's bias, like Buzz, involved in the agencys that are directly associated with hunting and fishing, gets less and less. And groups that oppose what we want are willing to put the money where their mouth is. Just like the examples given in this thread.

No, its not a crock, its a fact.

Please show me the last time hunters contributed, without a wealth tag in it, what you pulled from that article:

Over 700 contributors world wide including Patagonia, raised $1.92 million for their cause.

I can show you post after post after post on here, and any other hunting board, apathetic hunters complaining about the cost of licenses. Try getting them to simply donate to a cause, even one that benefits them directly.

We're having trouble raising $150K to open access to 8.3 million acres...if it required 1.92 million, it wouldn't happen.

Its not a rant, its the simple facts. Hunters are tightwads when it comes to supporting anything, including the wildlife they pretend to care about, access they claim to care about, land purchases, etc. etc.

Buying licenses is "going all out"...oh wow, thanks.
A lot people, from small to large net worths, list their favorite wildlife organizations in their wills these days. Significant dollars are being pledged, so these organizations can continue on long after their dead. You should look into it.

Are you sure you don't live in BC? The only difference here is we don't have governor tags. And our resident tags are el cheap. Hunt a deer for $16 canadian and don't dare maybe think increasing the price.....

Lol.

ecotourism is an impact and extracts from wildlife. Plenty of work out there showing that recreation is a major impact to wildlife security and may lead to increased risk of predation due to lowered body condition of young animals heading into winter months.

So. They have that going for them. Which is nice.

Attachments

• Caddyshack.jpg
    Caddyshack.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 12

Ever been to a RMEF or DU banquet? Most raffles don't include tags. Some do, but you're ridiculous to call hunters tight wads. Hunters spend so much money it's insane. It's such a gear intensive activity.

As far as cost of tags, I'd rather donate to a good cause than give the government $1k for a license...

Do you send money to orgs in MN to open up public lands for access? I bet you don't because it doesn't benefit you at all.

You should reach out to some bigger organizations if you're struggling to raise $150k. Trust for Public Lands or Land Access Initiative... If you can open access to 8.3 million acres, both orgs would likely be all over it.

Back