Another fine quality Vortex Diamondback…

No way I’d ever purchase a Vortex product. I’ve read far to many stories of these failures. To each their own though.

100% same. The binoculars I looked thru when doing some caparison testing made me laugh. Saved me plenty of time recording data for that test piece.

Could you post a link to that? Lots of scope tests over there. Thanks. and I apologize if that's not allowed.
It's a bunch of different threads. Not sure about posting links to it here. There is a subsection of the Long Range Hunting section dedicated to them. They will all be started by user Formidilosus.

The main body of his tests is tracking, return to zero, and then 18" and 36" drops from both sides and on top. He uses a shooting mat on top of soft dirt or snow to drop onto. Basically trying to replicate those crashes we have all taken with a rifle strapped to our pack or rifles tipping over on bipod, leaned up against a tree, etc.

Most scopes aren't passing. He does, however, have a mil-spec 3-15 NXS F1 that he can drop from 36" as many times as he wants without the zero moving. There's a couple others that have done well, also.

If someone is looking at a NF SHV iMd take a good hard look at the Zeiss Conquests.

I’d stack my V4 up against my NF NXS on glass quality.
I'm sure the glass is great. But the Zeiss LRP S5 that just got tested on the 'slide had a windage turret break off, as in completely off the scope body, in less than 100 rounds. That was from a 36" drop onto a shooting mat over soft dirt. So a major fall with a rifle strapped to the pack could leave you with a non functional weapon.
I know everything's a trade-off, but that bothers me.

I'm sure the glass is great. But the Zeiss LRP S5 that just got tested on the 'slide had a windage turret break off, as in completely off the scope body, in less than 100 rounds. That was from a 36" drop onto a shooting mat over soft dirt. So a major fall with a rifle strapped to the pack could leave you with a non functional weapon.
I know everything's a trade-off, but that bothers me.
You know, tests like that are good, but even among those that don’t do well, you may never have a problem with the one you buy. Take outboard motors for instance. Everyone knows that the Evinrude Ficht outboards we’re junk overall but occasionally you’ll run into one that’s been bulletproof. Yamaha Vmax as well but to a lesser extent. Just saying that even among products that are known to be inferior, you can find an exceptional specimen sometimes.

You know, tests like that are good, but even among those that don’t do well, you may never have a problem with the one you buy. Take outboard motors for instance. Everyone knows that the Evinrude Ficht outboards we’re junk overall but occasionally you’ll run into one that’s been bulletproof. Yamaha Vmax as well but to a lesser extent. Just saying that even among products that are known to be inferior, you can find an exceptional specimen sometimes.
Sure. But my elk hunts cost me thousands of dollars all told. When I can buy a scope for less than a grand that holds zero flawlessly it's a no brainer.

I had a Vortex on my rifle the first time I flew to a hunt. It did not hold zero, and had to be rezeroed upon arriving. Second time I had my SHV, and it was dead on. And it's still dead on if I get it out of the safe right now.

What's that kind of confidence worth?

Sure. But my elk hunts cost me thousands of dollars all told. When I can buy a scope for less than a grand that holds zero flawlessly it's a no brainer.

I had a Vortex on my rifle the first time I flew to a hunt. It did not hold zero, and had to be rezeroed upon arriving. Second time I had my SHV, and it was dead on. And it's still dead on if I get it out of the safe right now.

What's that kind of confidence worth?
Agree 100%!!!!

because every day you expect the turret to unscrew from the body when you take the cap off…

In 40+ years of dealt with scope damages, some intentionally , this is a first for everyone I’ve talked with.

Regardless of brand.

because every day you expect the turret to unscrew from the body when you take the cap off…

In 40+ years of dealt with scope damages, some intention, this is a first for everyone I’ve talked with.

Regardless of brand.
Yep!!

From what I hear about them, the SHVs may be heavy and not have the optical clarity of some of the German glass, but they are just about absolutely bulletproof

I have a variety of scopes from low end Tasco to Swaro. The low- mid range Bushnell aren't great but they are good enough functional. The Vortex are the least reliable. I really like the Leupolds for all around plus a biggie is they are made in USA.i have a couple Swaro, one Habich and a Z3. Both fantastic glass but prefer the USA Leupolds
Just to be clear, there are no Leupolds with US optics.....all Asian optical components that are ASSEMBLED in the US. Their advertising is very deceptive.....of those spoken about so far only some of the Nightforce scopes and the Vortex AMG line are 100% US.

Just to be clear, there are no Leupolds with US optics.....all Asian optical components that are ASSEMBLED in the US. Their advertising is very deceptive.....of those spoken about so far only some of the Nightforce scopes and the Vortex AMG line are 100% US.
Interesting. Deceptive advertising is not acceptable. I'll look at their website a little closer. Maybe give them a call on Monday.

I went from low end Leupold to Zeiss,by passing the V deals.
Sent the V rangefinder to a WT hunter in WI when I upgraded to Leica RF.

Never had V on my truck...

It bewilders me that a lot of HT’ers have issues with Vortex. I bought a crossfire and liked it, upgraded all my stuff to Vortex and haven’t had any issues. I’d gripe that my 80mm spotter maybe isn’t as clear as I’d expect but I haven’t tried it outside of mirage season.

Course, anything was better than the bushnell 2012 Walmart binos and 2001 Nikon 3x9 I inherited…..

I lucked out. Old man purchased a Cooper and put a Zeiss Conquest on it and gave it to me. When he retired ( he was working at local sporting goods store) rather than take a payout for his vacation he asked if he could get some binos. He didn't want to break the bank he had a good chunk of vacation time saved up. Owner/Boss agreed and he got a pair of Swarovski. Boss gave him the employee discount and as a retirement gift gave him the strap as well. I end up using them more often than he does it seems. Even at 43 I still get the death threat if anything happens to them and I'm reminded, he will follow through he's old and doesn't prison doesn't bother him. At 43 they come off my chest and go to the pack if they come off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back