Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Another fine quality Vortex Diamondback…

I used to love Hubbles...
I still do. Regarding center fire rifles, the smallest objective that I have on a scope is 44 mm (VX-5HD 3-15x 44 Firedot), largest 56 mm (VX-5HD 3-15x 56 Firedot). The rest of them (a bunch) are all 50 mm. Absolutely love the way that they look sitting on a rifle, along with a 30 mm tube.

Last edited:
I still do. Smallest objective that I have on a scope is 44 mm (VX-5HD 3-15x 44 Firedot), largest 56 mm (VX5-HD 3-15x 56 Firedot). The rest of them (a bunch) are all 50 mm. Absolutely love the way that they look sitting on a rifle, along with a 30 mm tube.
Just the opposite for me. Those big objectives look out of place. mtmuley

I still do. Regarding center fire rifles, the smallest objective that I have on a scope is 44 mm (VX-5HD 3-15x 44 Firedot), largest 56 mm (VX-5HD 3-15x 56 Firedot). The rest of them (a bunch) are all 50 mm. Absolutely love the way that they look sitting on a rifle, along with a 30 mm tube.
Like 40's best...44-45 at the most...but also like 30mm tubes, so I'm still kinda freaky

Like 40's best...44-45 at the most...but also like 30mm tubes, so I'm still kinda freaky

You think you are freaky? My rifles calibers have to match the rifle manufactuer. Weatherby rifles: .257 Wby mag, .300 Wby mag, Winchester rifles: .308, .264 Win mag, Remington: 7mm Rem mag, Browning gets a pass as they don't have a specific caliber that I know of: 6.5 Creedmoor, .30-06 Springfield. Never said that I was normal, lol!:D

Last edited:
Vortex should just send a return box with every optic sold. Streamline things a bit. mtmuley
I save all my optics boxes normally. But for some reason, I couldn't find the one for the diamondback.
I sent it back in the $49 Centerpoint scope I got from Sportsman Guide years ago so I could see if I'd like an illuminated reticle and would I like green or red.

Wonder if the humor/irony will be lost on them.

Starting to wonder why anyone buys Vortex stuff. Just Saying.

Because of this:

Vortex has a super successful business model, but people really need to understand what's going on with them before they buy. Apart from the Razor AMG (which means American Made Glass), they are just an importer. These imported optics come in tiers depending on price point. The Chinese Crossfires are the lowest, then the Filipino Diamondbacks, then the Japanese Razors. In my experience, the Japanese Razors are great- they are actually made in the same facility as Nightforce's SHVs that everyone was recommending on the first pages of this thread, and all of the components, from glass to scope bodies to erector systems, are top quality. I own a Razor HD LH 2-10x42 with hundreds of miles in the Alaskan backcountry on it, and it has always been 100%. The Filipino and Chinese stuff, however... is where Vortex gets its reputation.

OP, did you end up going with that Trijicon? Dude I know just put together a setup with one and loves it

If someone is looking at a NF SHV iMd take a good hard look at the Zeiss Conquests.

I’d stack my V4 up against my NF NXS on glass quality.
Agree on the Zeiss glass quality, I'd even rank it higher than the SHV. Although, I'm slightly biased against the SHV because I had two of them fail on two different rifles. Both were water/moisture intrusion making the scope useless the remainder of the hunt. The SHV have a huge fan boy following so I guess it was just plain bad luck on my end. Twice.
I had to pay the shipping both times to return the scopes to Niteforce for repairs,,there will not be a third Niteforce in my collection.

Palmetto has a deal going for Leupold binos and rangefinder. 10x42 Timberline binos with an RX-1400 rangefinder. Does anyone have the binos? It would definitely be an upgrade for my rangefinder but the binos seem equivalent to my Diamondbacks. Some reviews for the binos seem okay but some say they're a piece of crap.

Agree on the Zeiss glass quality, I'd even rank it higher than the SHV. Although, I'm slightly biased against the SHV because I had two of them fail on two different rifles. Both were water/moisture intrusion making the scope useless the remainder of the hunt. The SHV have a huge fan boy following so I guess it was just plain bad luck on my end. Twice.
I had to pay the shipping both times to return the scopes to Niteforce for repairs,,there will not be a third Niteforce in my collection.
Any details on the moisture intrusion? I just haven't heard of hardly any SHVs giving issues. I like mine, but of course everything has its weaknesses.

Any details on the moisture intrusion? I just haven't heard of hardly any SHVs giving issues. I like mine, but of course everything has its weaknesses.
Both instances were almost identical. Multiple days in a scabbard (horseback) . Rain, snow , temps varied from the 40's to -10. Rifles were kept in a heated tent overnight, then put back in semi damp scabbards the next morning . Bikini covers were not removed , but the water intrusion was at the objective end. My only half ass theory is that the scabbards heated up from the horses body temp which made the interior of the scabbards in effect a "sauna" inside. Because the rubber bikinis were still on, the moisture/condensation had no where to escape other than into the objective o-ring/seal.. Same thing when they went into a heated tent overnight, any moisture trapped inside the bikini could not evaporate. Nightforce did not agree or disagree with my theory, just told me they failed and did a warranty repair.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back