Another fine quality Vortex Diamondback…

I think we're in the vast majority (maybe not on this site though).
Depends on what the task at hand is for me.

This is what drew me to the diamond back. Just enough to let me do MPBR stuff and little more. Didn’t want to deal with knobs etc.
9460A5B3-52DF-47A7-A348-AA5858BBD997.jpeg

Now my long range stuff where I’m wanting to hit a 6” gong at 1000 yards type stuff…

Use the right tool for the right task.

This is what drew me to the diamond back. Just enough to let me do MPBR stuff and little more. Didn’t want to deal with knobs etc.
View attachment 238512

Now my long range stuff where I’m wanting to hit a 6” gong at 1000 yards type stuff…

Use the right tool for the right task.

Sure, but I bet the competitive shooting market is 1/1000th of the hunting market, and most hunters probably never twist a dial after sighting in their rifle.*

*All figures made up in my own head.

Sure, but I bet the competitive shooting market is 1/1000th of the hunting market, and most hunters probably never twist a dial after sighting in their rifle.*

*All figures made up in my own head.
I used to be all consumed with the long range twist to kill stuff. Doesn't take long to figure out it's a waste of time. mtmuley

I used to be all consumed with the long range twist to kill stuff. Doesn't take long to figure out it's a waste of time. mtmuley

Seems fun for shooting paper or metal. Way easier to just cut the distance shooting flesh and blood.

The reality is Vortex has done a great job duping hunters into buying cheap glass for expensive prices.

Hunters are easily influenced and know little to nothing about optics. The perfect target for corporate profits.

There is a reason that folks who are educated on optics do not buy vortex. Birders are a good example.

I got duped once. Did the return and sold the replacement they sent before I took the plastic off the box. Never again.

Cut your loses and move on.
Yep. I literally gave a Vortex HS LR to somebody I never met. We started talking on a forum and I just got his address and shipped him the scope.

The scope and a vortex rangefinder had just helped me miss the biggest deer of my life and I wanted it gone. (Don't worry, I got the buck two days later though, he's in my avatar 😎).

I had a Leupold and own 2 swfa, never again.
I'd buy the Vortex Razor HD LHT in a second.
If weight wasn't an issue I'd get an NXS, mine was bullet proof in every way but heavy.

Hopefully it's not bad form to reference content on another forum, but Rokslide has been doing scope evaluations this year. They have a tester with a Tikka 308 bonded into a chassis, and he's doing some pretty rigorous stuff. Lots of expensive scopes are failing, and a few hold up like a champ. They just dropped 2 new ones last night, the new Zeiss S5 LRP and the Leupold Mark 5. Both failed pretty badly.

I'm noticing a quality sag across the board. From jack-in-the-box crap burgers to automobiles it seems to me that nobody hardly gives a damn about what they are putting out. You can't even get Amazon to deliver your crap packages on time.

I'm a sparse features guy. Clean reticle, no side focus for parallax just an elevation turret. I'm in the minority. mtmuley

Same here. Hate a cluttered up reticle, don't need it. Several of my Leupolds have a CDS dial...don't need that either for where I hunt. Do really like the Firedot feature though. Actually, don't need magnum rifles for where I hunt either...have 4 of them though because I love them (.257 Wby mag, .264 Win mag, 7mm Rem mag, and .300 Wby mag). Have some standard calibers too...6.5 Manbun, .308, and .30-06...all rifles are topped with Leupold scopes with Firedot, other than the 700 LSS (7mm mag), has a Vari X-III 3.5-10x 50 on it.

Last edited:
I have a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42. It's a great little scope, and tracks and holds zero like a champ.

SHVs are great indeed. I have one and love it. However, both that and the Veracity are 30mm scope bodies and consequently add ~35% to their total weights.

Look at the Trijicon Huron line. Simple, reliable, lightweight BDC type optics.

I'm a sparse features guy. Clean reticle, no side focus for parallax just an elevation turret. I'm in the minority. mtmuley
I just had this discussion with a buddy this week. When hunting clean/good glass and a simple reticle is extremely important. Give me Meopta (Leupold/NF/Leica/zeiss/Swaro) quality glass over big nobs, Christmas tree glowing reticles, dials, throw levers, levels, etc.

I have a variety of scopes from low end Tasco to Swaro. The low- mid range Bushnell aren't great but they are good enough functional. The Vortex are the least reliable. I really like the Leupolds for all around plus a biggie is they are made in USA.i have a couple Swaro, one Habich and a Z3. Both fantastic glass but prefer the USA Leupolds

Another vote for the sparse crowd. I spent a lot of range time and ammo figuring out how my BDC scope would shoot at 300 yards so I'd be ready for long shots at Barbary sheep during this summer's trip to Africa. Of eleven animals taken only one was beyond 150 yards (200 yards for first springbuck). Most were less than 100 yards, including the Barbary ram (just over fifty yards). Long shots were available but this PH prefers the long stalk instead. Can't argue with that.

As far as Vortex scopes, I have had 6 Vortex Viper XBR crossbow scopes (not at the same time), and they are great scopes. Granted, they were used on crossbows, not rifles. I put a new Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x 50 V-Brite on my T/C Omega, but haven't shot the M/L yet. The glass on the Crossfire II is just fair, IMO.

Yeah, because the reticle in this particular diamondback scope was so complicated….

I mean fixed turret caps and basically a duplex reticle…

D0A07972-B694-4AFD-B8AE-F24F43914BE3.png

FB7C7F99-1490-453B-A3BA-3E60BE1166A7.jpeg

Pretty plain Jane for a deer rifle if anything.

Look at the Trijicon Huron line. Simple, reliable, lightweight BDC type optics.
Thanks…

It’s 15.8 vs 22.2 oz over the night force.

My experience with trijicon is with the TA-1 NSN. So not a scope to be afraid of in my eyes.

This one will likely be the winner

Hopefully it's not bad form to reference content on another forum, but Rokslide has been doing scope evaluations this year. They have a tester with a Tikka 308 bonded into a chassis, and he's doing some pretty rigorous stuff. Lots of expensive scopes are failing, and a few hold up like a champ. They just dropped 2 new ones last night, the new Zeiss S5 LRP and the Leupold Mark 5. Both failed pretty badly.
Could you post a link to that? Lots of scope tests over there. Thanks. and I apologize if that's not allowed.

Back