Another fine quality Vortex Diamondback…

Both instances were almost identical. Multiple days in a scabbard (horseback) . Rain, snow , temps varied from the 40's to -10. Rifles were kept in a heated tent overnight, then put back in semi damp scabbards the next morning . Bikini covers were not removed , but the water intrusion was at the objective end. My only half ass theory is that the scabbards heated up from the horses body temp which made the interior of the scabbards in effect a "sauna" inside. Because the rubber bikinis were still on, the moisture/condensation had no where to escape other than into the objective o-ring/seal.. Same thing when they went into a heated tent overnight, any moisture trapped inside the bikini could not evaporate. Nightforce did not agree or disagree with my theory, just told me they failed and did a warranty repair.
Understood. I can see how that might happen. I'm sure that was quite frustrating.

POS is going back.

Pretty sure, @JLS didn’t sell me a rifle that’s a club.
986702A3-4008-466D-AAD6-62F122240136.jpeg

Went to zero the Diamondback scope I just got back on Wednesday this afternoon.

I had it shooting 2 1/2” high according to Hornady 4DOF program as it should be for the Remington ammo. 140 gr PSP. Sometimes you take what you can get for factory ammo. I don’t expect this stuff to shoot sub-MOA. But at least between 1-2 MOA.

So it says it SHOULD shoot 2.5” high at 50 yards with a 28 yard zero. (Yes, I zero for MPBR). At 250 yards, 1.4” high.

So I get it to shoot 2.5” high at 50 yards. Dad and his kid are shooting at 50 yards so I join them there since the 4DOF isn’t that bad a program.

When they leave, I head out to 250 yards….

Shot 1. - WTF
Shot 2- give the scope 2MOA adjustment down from shot 1. WTH.😐. ( should be 5” going from 100 yards to 250 yards on a scope that’s 1 click =1/4” at 100 yards)

Shot 3- give the scope 4 MOA adjustment from shot 2….

That’s an 8 1/2” X 11” piece of paper.

4 MOA should be 9” of movement at 250 yards….

This scope dropped it 2” at 2 MOA and 18” on a 4 MOA adjust….
CC264343-3DC5-43D4-85A0-DBBF362716C6.jpeg

Guess what got yanked off a rifle today….

POS is going back.

View attachment 241308

I had it shooting 2 1/2” high according to Hornady 4DOF program as it should be for the Remington ammo. 140 gr PSP. Sometimes you take what you can get for factory ammo. I don’t expect this stuff to shoot sub-MOA. But at least between 1-2 MOA.

So it says it SHOULD shoot 2.5” high at 50 yards with a 28 yard zero. (Yes, I zero for MPBR). At 250 yards, 1.4” high.

So I get it to shoot 2.5” high at 50 yards. Dad and his kid are shooting at 50 yards so I join them there since the 4DOF isn’t that bad a program.

Shot 1. - WTF
Shot 2- give the scope 2MOA adjustment down from shot 1. WTH.😐. ( should be 5” going from 100 yards to 250 yards on a scope that’s 1 click =1/4” at 100 yards)

View attachment 241312

Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised.

Meateater says they're awesome, though.........

POS is going back.

View attachment 241308

Shot 1. - WTF

View attachment 241312

Step one. Take it off your rifle
Step two. Go outside and drive over it with your vehicle.
Step three . Return to vortex and they will give you a brand new one. Then sell that one as a new in box never mounted scope.
Step four. Never buy another vortex scope. EVER!

Last edited:
Step three . Return to vortex and they will give you a brand new one. Then sell that one as new in box never, mounted scope.
You’re being way too nice to it.

You’re being way too nice to it.
I’ve been in your shoes man it’s frustrating I used to have 4 vortex scopes, yeah I fell for the marketing. 3/4 failed in one way or another. 3 got sent in and “fixed” and returned. Much like your case all three went to crap again, so I just sent 2 of them back in pieces. The other one I used as a fire starter log when we made s’mores one night.
They do have a good warranty though.

I’ve been in your shoes man it’s frustrating I used to have 4 vortex scopes, yeah I fell for the marketing. 3/4 failed in one way or another. 3 got sent in and “fixed” and returned. Much like your case all three went to crap again, so I just sent 2 of them back in pieces. The other one I used as a fire starter log when we made s’mores one night.
They do have a good warranty though.
I’ve got two vortex scopes.

The Diamondback on the Remington 700
FEF9C1BF-228A-40FA-B5C5-77BFC19133C4.jpeg

And the Diamondback Tactical on a savage model 10 .223. Knock on wood, this one has been dialing from 100-400 yards just fine so far.

The chromatic aberration is horrid on this one
7C3866B3-82F6-4206-9FA7-8778611822D0.jpeg

Last edited:
I heard that the vortex products cost about 1/4 retail to make. That way the6 can replace them 2 times and still make 25% off the original sale.

Step three . Return to vortex and they will give you a brand new one. Then sell that one as new in box never, mounted scope.
This is an awesome idea for anyone that has a vortex scope lying around.

I called with an issue with my vortex binos. I could not get a full view wearing my glasses. Their response was I shouldn't have bought them online and gone to the store to check them out before I bought them.
They may suffer a violent death soon.

And that’s why vortex hasn’t their warranty, decent stuff for working guys though, maybe just a lemon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back