American prairie. What's the issue?

It's definitely a sort of favoritism, and maybe in the larger picture makes sense, but let's not pretend it isn't.
Absolutely. if I own a riparian area, and spend my time and money improving it, it’s on me to fence it. Joe Neighbor can absolve himself of the responsibility to do so because as Eric said, I’d you don’t want the cattle there, fence them out.

It’s a very disingenuous argument and law, and quite frankly it appalls me Eric would not have a huge moral integrity conflict in making the statement he did. They are my animals. If you don’t want them there, fence them out.

But yeah, don’t Buffalo me.

Yeah, I take full responsibility for maintaining the fence between me and the one ranch. Not only because that’s the way the law works, but because it’s a part of our HOA. Everyone that borders any of the ranches are supposed to keep their fence up since nobody wants cattle in the subdivision. Some people don’t do that because frankly, they’re old, or they’re absentee types that come up one or two weekends a year. I’ll do it for them rather than fencing off my little four acres completely, which would actually be way easier if all I cared about is no cattle on my place and wildlife wasn’t a concern.

There’s more wildlife in the subdivision than there is on the neighboring ranches or the Forest precisely because we largely keep the cattle out and we don’t have every little 4-10 acre property fully fenced.

If there’s one lesson to be learned here, it’s the ol saying good fences make good neighbors. At the very least, KEEP YOUR FENCES UP or arrange for someone else to do it. And if you’re a millionaire cattle rancher, step up to the plate and do what’s right.

As a landowner I have to maintain my fences, if I don’t want the neighbors cattle in my pasture I maintain theirs, and vice versa.

As a landowner I have to maintain my fences, if I don’t want the neighbors cattle in my pasture I maintain theirs, and vice versa.
How about cattle owners be required to maintain their own fences, just like the owners of every other species of livestock are required to do? Or, is there some legitimate reason why cattle owners specifically are exempt from such a requirement?
(*this is a rhetorical question, but I would still love to hear your explanation)

I don't own cattle, but three horses.

The open range laws are a vestige of a time gone by. So explain why owning property in the form of cattle should be superior to owning property in the form of land and grass. It is illogical that the owner of the cattle does not have the responsibility to confine them to the land where he owns the grass.

We go around and around about private property rights. A hunter can be cited for trespass for just walking across a pasture, but a rancher's cattle can legally have free access to another landowner's grass.

... rancher's cattle can legally have free access to another landowner's grass.
After the Copper Kings lost influence in the Montana Legislature ... the Cattle Barons took over.
'Pretty much perpetuating through present day. It's not all bad, but some real radical ones have shown up to mess up wildlife management.

I'm not as well versed as Eric is on this, but this document can be helpful: https://nationalaglawcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/assets/fencelaw/montana.pdf

I kinda like fence out. It's one of the last vestiges of open range in a world too wrapped up in controlling every little thing. There's an eloquent kind of freedom in it.

Nostalgia is nice until the neighboring rancher’s steers are standing on the yellow line of the highway when your teenage daughter is driving home at night…

Funny how ranches don’t care about their cattle breaking down someone’s fence, eating someone else’s grass and crapping all over their property. Something tells me they wouldn’t take kindly to me tearing through their fence, trespassing and then taking a dump in their front yard. And then offering up a lame ass excuse of “if you don’t like you should’ve put up a better fence to keep me out.”

That’s how absurd this is.

Nostalgia is nice until the neighboring rancher’s steers are standing on the yellow line of the highway when your teenage daughter is driving home at night…
It happens. County road, indiscernible yellow line, pitch black very rural road, black angus cattle on the pavement. Good thing their eyes reflected headlights ... whew!

It's been a long time ago now, but about ten miles south of were we live, a semi truck driver hit a herd of black angus cattle in the road, at night. It killed the driver of the semi.

Every time I drive past the cross on the side of the road, I think that the man deserved better.

Livestock at large laws come in to play. While you may have to fence them out, owners are responsible for damages created.

To quote to the Clash, "know your rights."

I don't own cattle, but three horses.

The open range laws are a vestige of a time gone by. So explain why owning property in the form of cattle should be superior to owning property in the form of land and grass. It is illogical that the owner of the cattle does not have the responsibility to confine them to the land where he owns the grass.

We go around and around about private property rights. A hunter can be cited for trespass for just walking across a pasture, but a rancher's cattle can legally have free access to another landowner's grass.
the absurdity of tresspass, corner crossing inparticular, like hurting the ranchers airspace,
vs. me having to put up fences and maintain them, because i dont want cows eating my pasture, lawn and garden,
goes beyond all common sense,,,,,,,

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back