Caribou Gear Tarp

American prairie. What's the issue?

Can this appeal be dismissed with prejudice, on the grounds of the parties at hand having previously dealt in bad faith to cause this situation being idiots?
FIFY

I remember all the histrionics these same folks went into trying to get that livestock classification passed. You made your bed, MT GOP…

Awww. That’s real sweet of Knudsen to go all Huey Long for the tired, poor, huddled masses moving in from the west coast.

Awww. That’s real sweet of Knudsen to go all Huey Long for the tired, poor, huddled masses moving in from the west coast.
Is he wrong though? Any of you Montanans want to swap with me and come live in my townhouse outside of DC? Or even one in Bozeman?

Is he wrong though? Any of you Montanans want to swap with me and come live in my townhouse outside of DC? Or even one in Bozeman?
Don’t want to derail the American Prairie thread too much, but yes, he’s wrong. Diminishing the strength and durability of conservation easements and decreasing public access opportunities to create a landscape of ranchette subdivisions is not the Montana most folks here want to see (except of course the developers and residents of said ranchettes).

From the article “…lost on Knudsen is that our wild, undeveloped country and public lands are what makes Montana so attractive, both to multi-generational residents like me and folks wanting to move here.”

Don’t want to derail the American Prairie thread too much, but yes, he’s wrong. Diminishing the strength and durability of conservation easements and decreasing public access opportunities to create a landscape of ranchette subdivisions is not the Montana most folks here want to see (except of course the developers and residents of said ranchettes).

From the article “…lost on Knudsen is that our wild, undeveloped country and public lands are what makes Montana so attractive, both to multi-generational residents like me and folks wanting to move here.”

There’s still more than enough developable land in MT. Conservation Easements aren’t keeping anyone from having a home and a piece of ground.

I'm in complete agreement on the value of easements. But I've been working on em my whole life and ain't looking to move to Montana. Guess my only point was that folks don't seem to be moving there to live how I live or folks in cities in general live and a less bought-in individual that thinks seeing a deer in their yard means their subdivision isn't actually bad for wildlife might fall victim to such language. Completely appreciate that it's not an either/or, as Gerald points out above.

Notes:
-BLM approved the bison grazing lease.
- State lands were included in the BLM environmental assessment, as they normally are, since the state almost always goes along with the BLM decision.
-Gianforte, Knudsen, MSA appealed this approval, and asked for a stay on implementation.
-Federal judge told them to pound sand, not granting a stay of decision, because the BLM decision is supported by other APR bison grazing leases doing just fine.
- State DNRC then refused to allow bison on 3,600 acres of State grazing leases.
-State won’t allow building of fences on said grazing leases (and fencing the bison out of that area is now kind of necessary according to state law) “until the challenges related to BLM’s decision conclude.”
- This decision won’t effect the other bison grazing leases that are held and previously authorized.
-”[DNRC area manager] Rooney would not talk to the Billings Gazette without approval from the state office. A request for that approval was not received by the time this story was published.” Funny little tidbit. Since when does a public employee need official approval to talk to the press?
- Ted Turner’s VP of operations “wouldn’t say how many state acres Turner Enterprises leases, and the DNRC said it does not break down its grazing leases by the type of livestock.” Now that’s interesting- the state doesn’t care what livestock are on Turner’s leases, but they care what’s on APR’s leases.

From the article, it sounds like the Governor misused his power without any statutory or other legal precedent to deny state grazing permits to screw with the APR. The fact that both Knudsen and Gianforte are listed in the appeal of the BLM approval really stinks to high heaven. Luckily, the federal judge told them to pound sand when they asked for a stay on implementation of bison grazing.

Something funny is going on here, and it doesn’t feel 100% legal.

Last edited:
Back