Caribou Gear

ALMOST DRAW DAY

ThunderNocked

Almost Draw Day! I put in for more then usual and spread my entries out more - not sure if I like the Hedge my Bets method or All In but there year definitely put in more then I have previously.

Who all is excited? They said coming out the 18th so hopefully they don't delay!

What are you most excited for?

I did the usual Bison and Sheep - but i also did Archery Bull Moose on the Dalton - I'd be really excited to get that one.

How is SE AK looking? I know Anchorage/Valdez and North the animals are having a hard time cause of all the ice from the big Rain/Ice debacle around Christmas. anybody know how SE is doing?

After missing the spring bear POW draw 2 years in a row besides having easy draw odds, hoping we don't get left out again!
We have missed the last 2 years as well. I think in some ways it might be better that my son will be 16 when we go now vs. 14 if we had drawn the first year I applied for him. I think he will be more of a help now for sure.

I just hope there are enough animals around to hunt in the OTC areas. I only put in for 2 tags, sheep and caribou, and TBH, I probably won't hunt the sheep if I draw it. Much of the state is well above average snow depth, some are on par with 2012/2013 winter. I would hope/expect that ADFG slashes a lot of tags, but my hopes are not high they will.

I won't be surprised if they slash the Nelchina bou tags even further. Its a serious winter in Tok. This winter might be what the 40 mile herd needs to cut their population as well. I would expect bit cut backs out there next year.

As far as SE, I heard they had a lot of snow early, but I think a lot of it melted. Its pretty variable, SE is a big area. POW doesn't get the snow like Juneau area does.

I just hope there are enough animals around to hunt in the OTC areas. I only put in for 2 tags, sheep and caribou, and TBH, I probably won't hunt the sheep if I draw it. Much of the state is well above average snow depth, some are on par with 2012/2013 winter. I would hope/expect that ADFG slashes a lot of tags, but my hopes are not high they will.

I won't be surprised if they slash the Nelchina bou tags even further. Its a serious winter in Tok. This winter might be what the 40 mile herd needs to cut their population as well. I would expect bit cut backs out there next year.

As far as SE, I heard they had a lot of snow early, but I think a lot of it melted. Its pretty variable, SE is a big area. POW doesn't get the snow like Juneau area does.
Yeah I'm pretty concerned too - I know moose are highly active and aggressive - and I heard they are not expecting alot of calves to survive. It could be a super tough year for all the animals.
I am still planning on going out for a sheep - I haven't gotten one yet but I know that the likely hood of a newbie finding a legal is going down significantly. It could be a tough year for all the various groups across the state. I would expect to see some tag numbers cut this year, shortened seasons and lower draw allotment numbers next season as well.

Back