Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ally's New Mexico Oryx Hunt

FishN4Eyes

My 13 YO daughter, Ally, was lucky enough to draw a New Mexico oryx tag on the White Sands Missile Range.

The hunts are used to control the population of oryx that were introduced to the WSMR in the 70's from Africa and are an incredibly unique hunting experience.

These are tough, wary animals and a ton of fun to hunt.

We flew in to Albuquerque on Wednesday night and drove down to Alamogordo on Thursday to meet up with our friend and guide, Shannon Owen of SO Hunts. Shannon is a fantastic guy to hunt with and knows the WSMR like the back of his hand, I'd highly recommend him if you are lucky enough to draw this tag.

The hunts are only two to three days long so I wanted to give Ally the best chance to succeed in the limited time we had so that is why I chose to hunt with Shannon, in addition to the fact that he is funny as hell and fun to hang out with.

We attended the mandatory hunter orientation on Friday morning and they didn't have any military exercises planned so we got the bonus of hunting on Friday afternoon so off we went.

We saw several decent oryx and made a couple stalk attempts but were foiled by swirling winds and the acute eyesight of the oryx a few times.

About an hour before dark we spotted a few feeding in a stalkable location and off we went.

We were able to move into shooting distance and Ally got set up on the shooting sticks and took the shot. The oryx was hard-hit but moved off into the thick brush. We were able to position ourselves for another shot and Ally hit it again hard and down it went.

These are incredibly tough animals and she had to put in two additional finishing shots before it was over. We were able to take a couple quick pictures and quickly field dress it and headed out at dark as we had to be off the base at a specific time. We returned the next day to cape, bone out and pack the meat and cape out about a mile to the truck.

Here are a couple pictures of the 36" oryx, pretty dang good for anyone and certainly great for a young hunter.

Rifle was a .280 Remington shooting 150 gr. Nosler Partitions.

Ally_Oryx.jpg

Oryx1.jpg

Congrats to Ally. What a good looking oryx. It sure is nice that they allow cameras on the base for trophy photos now.

I heard about these hunts many years ago. Thought they would be really cool - on base! Cool post. You guys, those girls have had an awesome season! Great pictures. Hope to do the same maybe with my son. (closer then Africa)

Congrats to you both! My WSMR hunt was one of the coolest hunts I'll ever do.

It was a really fun hunt.

It's certainly not like shooting fish in a barrel, we hunted pretty hard and the animals are pretty wary as they get hunted hard almost the whole year in two to three day periods. They certainly didn't stand around and wait to be shot.

They had about 100 tag holders hunting and when we left the base at about 3 pm on Saturday they had checked 31 oryx.

I'm sure some folks went home empty handed, was really happy Ally wasn't one of them.

It was a really fun hunt.

It's certainly not like shooting fish in a barrel, we hunted pretty hard and the animals are pretty wary as they get hunted hard almost the whole year in two to three day periods. They certainly didn't stand around and wait to be shot.

They had about 100 tag holders hunting and when we left the base at about 3 pm on Saturday they had checked 31 oryx.

I'm sure some folks went home empty handed, was really happy Ally wasn't one of them.

The hunts are getting more difficult as the years go on. When I hunted the Stallion Range in 2009 we had a really low success rate; something like 60%. Its been lower than that in subsequent years. Some guys that hunt there often get it done on a regular basis but getting one from the road like the old days is pretty much over. Congrats again and enjoy the good eats!

Congratulations, that is awesome! I don't know if they still do this or not but they should send you the results for the hunt. Like the biggest bull and cow killed the total number killed and the average bull and cow killed. I know a couple years ago they were averaging 30 inches on the bulls and 33 inches on the cows. I am betting that it will be about the same and shooting a 36 inch cow is awesome. They cut the tags way back this year, which is probably 2 years too late.

Now you will just have to put her in for the youth on range hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back