PEAX Equipment

All Nat’l Forest Closed

Unfortunately for them, this will not happen. The State DFW has already stated it will not refund or reinstate points due to land closures or fires.

That’s not entirely true. You can turn in an antelope, sheep or elk tag and get your points reinstated a point for this year and a refund. I know a few guys that have turned them back this year alone. Not sure what the DFW will do about draw deer tags this year though.

That’s not entirely true. You can turn in an antelope, sheep or elk tag and get your points reinstated a point for this year and a refund. I know a few guys that have turned them back this year alone. Not sure what the DFW will do about draw deer tags this year though.
You're correct, I was selfishly just thinking of my own situation and tag.

Unfortunately, resident deer tag fees are nonrefundable regardless of land closures due to fire, weather or other natural disasters per the California Code of Regulations, Title 14, Section 708.2(b). Refunds may be issued to nonresident tag holders (subject to specific requirements) and for select elk, pronghorn antelope and bighorn sheep tags.

Bonham said CDFW is evaluating options to petition the California Fish and Game Commission to refund deer tag fees — and other big game tag fees – for those areas closed due to wildfire conditions. Land closures announced this week are temporary. California’s deer seasons are just beginning to open. Many of California’s general seasons are still a month or more away from opening.

“Our hope, certainly, is that deer hunters will have the opportunity to hunt at some point and participate in part or all of their favorite seasons,” Bonham said. “But we also are prepared to support our deer, elk, pronghorn and sheep hunters who have done so much for conservation over the years.”

Premium deer tags awarded using a first choice in California’s Big Game Drawing, elk tags, pronghorn antelope tags, and bighorn sheep tags may be returned to CDFW with a request to have preference points reinstated and one preference point awarded for the species for the current hunt year. To be considered for preference point reinstatement, the tag must be returned (postmarked) prior to the first date the tag is valid for hunting.

Premium deer tags cannot be exchanged, but any hunter that has only been issued one deer tag during the hunting license year may purchase one additional deer tag from the list of available deer tags (PDF)(opens in new tab).

A complete list of tag return deadlines along with additional information on tag returns, exchanges and preference point eligibility requirements can be found on CDFW’s Hunting Licenses and Tags webpage.

Media Contacts:
Jen Benedet, CDFW Communications, (714) 651-9765
Peter Tira, CDFW Communications, (916) 215-3858

Elk, Pronghorn, and Sheep? People actually draw those in CA?!?

Thankfully I didn't burn my deer points this year on a limited draw tag, and I did have a chance to archery hunt my A Zone tag a couple times. But I'm probably going to have to eat one tag entirely without ever stepping foot in the unit, just because Labor Day weekend was my only sizeable block of time to make the 5hr drive and get in a proper hunt.

I had another highly-anticipated backpack hunt planned in A Zone, which closes the weekend after 9/17, that I'm skeptical will happen.

You're correct, I was selfishly just thinking of my own situation and tag.

Unfortunately, resident deer tag fees are nonrefundable regardless of land closures due to fire, weather or other natural disasters per the California Code of Regulations, Title 14, Section 708.2(b). Refunds may be issued to nonresident tag holders (subject to specific requirements) and for select elk, pronghorn antelope and bighorn sheep tags.

Bonham said CDFW is evaluating options to petition the California Fish and Game Commission to refund deer tag fees — and other big game tag fees – for those areas closed due to wildfire conditions. Land closures announced this week are temporary. California’s deer seasons are just beginning to open. Many of California’s general seasons are still a month or more away from opening.

“Our hope, certainly, is that deer hunters will have the opportunity to hunt at some point and participate in part or all of their favorite seasons,” Bonham said. “But we also are prepared to support our deer, elk, pronghorn and sheep hunters who have done so much for conservation over the years.”

Premium deer tags awarded using a first choice in California’s Big Game Drawing, elk tags, pronghorn antelope tags, and bighorn sheep tags may be returned to CDFW with a request to have preference points reinstated and one preference point awarded for the species for the current hunt year. To be considered for preference point reinstatement, the tag must be returned (postmarked) prior to the first date the tag is valid for hunting.

Premium deer tags cannot be exchanged, but any hunter that has only been issued one deer tag during the hunting license year may purchase one additional deer tag from the list of available deer tags (PDF)(opens in new tab).

A complete list of tag return deadlines along with additional information on tag returns, exchanges and preference point eligibility requirements can be found on CDFW’s Hunting Licenses and Tags webpage.

Media Contacts:
Jen Benedet, CDFW Communications, (714) 651-9765
Peter Tira, CDFW Communications, (916) 215-3858

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure that’s how it worked. Basically you can’t return regular zone tags is how I understood it and get a refund. Technically you can exchange them if the season has not opened yet also. My buddy who returned an antelope tag this year got all his points reinstated, a point for this year and a refund for the tag minus a $32 fee.

I would tend to think that there is actually a fair amount of legal backing for these actions whether we like them or not.

But we should ask the HT house lawyer for clarification.

Calling @VikingsGuy
Zero question the Federal Govt has the right to regulate travel and activities within Federal land. It is both legally sound and constitutionally sound.

On the other hand, reasonable people can disagree whether or not it is good policy to use these powers in this instance and to this extent.

Zero question the Federal Govt has the right to regulate travel and activities within Federal land. It is both legally sound and constitutionally sound.

On the other hand, reasonable people can disagree whether or not it is good policy to use these powers in this instance and to this extent.
I agree with you. I think people often chalk it up as "it's CA" so of course this is what their state would do. I do think they are trying to help save lives, in their own way but it is tough to deal with as a hunter.

I can't help but wonder if MT or WY or UT shutdown all their NF statewide if some fires were active. I think the outcry would be really high since there are more outdoor and hunters there.

I agree with you. I think people often chalk it up as "it's CA" so of course this is what their state would do. I do think they are trying to help save lives, in their own way but it is tough to deal with as a hunter.

I can't help but wonder if MT or WY or UT shutdown all their NF statewide if some fires were active. I think the outcry would be really high since there are more outdoor and hunters there.

i suspect if any of the rocky mountain front states were in as unprecedented of a fire season as california is right now the local NF managers would have that option on the table and high on the list of actions to potentially take, especially going into labor day. maybe not so much wyoming, given the low population and the more nuanced nature of places that receive a high degree of visitation and others that don't.

the outcry would be loud, no doubt, especially in colorado.

colorado is having an oddly (though very much welcome) underwhelming fire season so far.

Last edited:

Um, San Jose has as many people as Montana, Fresno has as many as Wyoming. The heart of their seasons are at the end of fire season though, we haven't hit peak yet. We have a shitload of outdoor use, campgrounds are often booked months in advance, and in the past year since the pandemic outdoor use has gone through the roof. There is lots of outcry here, many hunters think this is about them, but it goes beyond that. We're asking R5 to establish some metrics for future closures. Though, when you have back to back years of acreage burned, I guess there isn't much of a need. South Lake Tahoe seems to have dodged a major bullet with the Caldor fire, had winds been slightly more south, or if they turn the whole town could ignite.

Um, San Jose has as many people as Montana, Fresno has as many as Wyoming. The heart of their seasons are at the end of fire season though, we haven't hit peak yet. We have a shitload of outdoor use, campgrounds are often booked months in advance, and in the past year since the pandemic outdoor use has gone through the roof. There is lots of outcry here, many hunters think this is about them, but it goes beyond that. We're asking R5 to establish some metrics for future closures. Though, when you have back to back years of acreage burned, I guess there isn't much of a need. South Lake Tahoe seems to have dodged a major bullet with the Caldor fire, had winds been slightly more south, or if they turn the whole town could ignite.
I am well aware of other uses and how hard it is to book campgrounds in CA and of our population numbers.

I was speaking about closures that affect hunters since this is a hunt forum. CA is huge. The current fire situation is almost all up north. It doesn't seem right to shutdown Los Padres, Los Angeles, etc.

Again, my only point is if some of the other western states, which have a far higher hunter to population ratio, shut down all forest in the state because there were fires elsewhere, I think the backlash would be harsh.

I am well aware of other uses and how hard it is to book campgrounds in CA and of our population numbers.

I was speaking about closures that affect hunters since this is a hunt forum. CA is huge. The current fire situation is almost all up north. It doesn't seem right to shutdown Los Padres, Los Angeles, etc.

Again, my only point is if some of the other western states, which have a far higher hunter to population ratio, shut down all forest in the state because there were fires elsewhere, I think the backlash would be harsh.

While I can understand both sides of this closure I still feel like the closure is some what warranted. There just aren’t enough resources available to handle another big fire if one should start up now. Also while it most likely wouldn’t be started by a Hunter there are lots of careless people that use the forests.
Hopefully CA can use this as another reason that forests need to be thinned/ control burned and logging is a positive.

And not to mention that you can camp and hike the other 10 months out of the year, which I do enjoy too. But deer seasons are very short windows. If you miss your chance, you're done for the year. I'd also wager a bet that NFS/NPS would offer refunds for canceled campground reservations, while hunters are forced to eat the cost of their "non-premium" tags.

Point being, I think hunters are unfairly burdened by these closures.

Back