Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

All Nat’l Forest Closed

Punish everyone because of a few irresponsible a-holes. Big Brother at its finest. I would like to see someone get a fine for doing something completely benign like mushroom hunting and taking it to court.
I think these blanket closures are unconstitutional.
Sounds like being smart with limited resources if you ask me.

Everyone sing it together now:

"This land is your land and this land is my land
From California [just east of California] to the New York island
From the redwood forest [the deserts of Nevada] to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me"

I guess it won't be long until precautionary annual closures of national forests becomes a thing.

i dunno, when the monumental degree of life and property that is put at risk by the inevitable few that can't behave on public property during these conditions it's kinda the only option.

when the consequences are measured in the hundreds of millions and billions of dollars, combined with the likelihood of the loss of life, it's a little different than speeding tickets

Just a few days ago I was told the Mendocino Forest was going to open because the majority of the land is a giant burn scar. It looks like the newer Caldor Fire burning towards Tahoe has changed a few opinions. The big question is the the timing of this closure due to end the day before the general deer opener for many zones. My guess is a handful but not all NFs will open on the 18th.

Not really. Speeders are highly unlikely to burn down an entire town (or more).
No, but their superheated catalytic converters might. When things get so dry that even the most careful can still inadvertently cause a massive wildfire, then it's time to close the forests. I think back to the big fire outside Yosemite in 2008 started by local law enforcement officers bullets when they were doing routine target practice. They made every effort to try putting it out but the country was simply too dry. That fire blew up out of control in a matter of seconds.

Not really. Speeders are highly unlikely to burn down an entire town (or more).
It's not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea. The easiest way to manage public lands is to ban the public, but then why not sell them to private interests? I think the bar for closing forests is too low. There's a chance of wildfire - close it. There was a wildfire a few years ago - close it. We don't have enough officers - close it. I mean, the entire state of CA?? No hiking, biking, or walking in the NF, some of which is practically in city limits? In my mind it's overkill and, of course, there will be people that just ignore the closures and go unpunished, and the law-abiding do-gooders will be the only ones to accept any consequences (cancelling hunts, trips, etc).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back