All Nat’l Forest Closed

It's not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea. The easiest way to manage public lands is to ban the public, but then why not sell them to private interests? I think the bar for closing forests is too low. There's a chance of wildfire - close it. There was a wildfire a few years ago - close it. We don't have enough officers - close it. I mean, the entire state of CA?? No hiking, biking, or walking in the NF, some of which is practically in city limits? In my mind it's overkill and, of course, there will be people that just ignore the closures and go unpunished, and the law-abiding do-gooders will be the only ones to accept any consequences (cancelling hunts, trips, etc).

Yep, knee-jerk reaction exposes those incapable of second-level thinking, but damn the torpedos!

It's not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea. The easiest way to manage public lands is to ban the public, but then why not sell them to private interests? I think the bar for closing forests is too low. There's a chance of wildfire - close it. There was a wildfire a few years ago - close it. We don't have enough officers - close it. I mean, the entire state of CA?? No hiking, biking, or walking in the NF, some of which is practically in city limits? In my mind it's overkill and, of course, there will be people that just ignore the closures and go unpunished, and the law-abiding do-gooders will be the only ones to accept any consequences (cancelling hunts, trips, etc).
No, it's not a perfect analogy. It's not really an analogy at all, in fact.

You think "the bar" is too low, but what do you know about the bar? I mean really, do you have any inside information about this decision, how the bar height was chosen, how these things are even measured? What variables go into the decision? Got any actual knowledge? What are your qualifications? Tell us what makes you qualified to even begin to criticize anyone about this? I mean really, who are you besides some guy with a keyboard and an agenda?

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ripping into you, but I get so goddamn tired of hearing yet another personal opinion formulated out of thin air and yet stated as matter of factly as if you had been right there at the oaken table in that smokey back room with the rest of "the boys" calling the shots. You weren't, I wasn't. No one here was. Let it go. They might actually know what they are doing, whereas, you (like me) for a fact, do not.

isn't this is about the time some whacko decides to light up a bunch arson fires to just to make things interesting. Seems like a good time to make it difficult for him. But I have no idea how that determination was made.

No, it's not a perfect analogy. It's not really an analogy at all, in fact.

You think "the bar" is too low, but what do you know about the bar? I mean really, do you have any inside information about this decision, how the bar height was chosen, how these things are even measured? What variables go into the decision? Got any actual knowledge? What are your qualifications? Tell us what makes you qualified to even begin to criticize anyone about this? I mean really, who are you besides some guy with a keyboard and an agenda?

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ripping into you, but I get so goddamn tired of hearing yet another personal opinion formulated out of thin air and yet stated as matter of factly as if you had been right there at the oaken table in that smokey back room with the rest of "the boys" calling the shots. You weren't, I wasn't. No one here was. Let it go. They might actually know what they are doing, whereas, you (like me) for a fact, do not.

isn't this is about the time some whacko decides to light up a bunch arson fires to just to make things interesting. Seems like a good time to make it difficult for him. But I have no idea how that determination was made.
Brent you are obviously a little heated about this. The decision was made to temporarily close every NF in one particular state by the same agency that has made decisions of forest management that are safe to say have some blame in the current situation. I think it's fair to say the broad closure is the easiest route currently. Is it the best decision? Can't say, but these are adults running this government agencies that are not immune to criticism from the citizenry. Take for example the Mendocino Forest, which was severely burned by multiple huge fires in the past few years. Is there good reason to close the Mendo or does it just make it easier?
As far as the "bar" goes it has definitely changed in the last ten years or so with more closures than I can recall.

It is pretty sad for a lot of people that won’t get to hunt a draw tag they have waited on for years. I hope they can get their points reinstated.
On the other hand think of all the spike/forks that will be saved from the group hunting crowds.

It is pretty sad for a lot of people that won’t get to hunt a draw tag they have waited on for years. I hope they can get their points reinstated.
On the other hand think of all the spike/forks that will be saved from the group hunting crowds.
They did last year. This same thing was in affect last year and many opened the day before the season begin in Oct. It's going to be the new normal.

Why must everything we don't agree with be unconstitutional?
Maybe I should have substituted "illegal" for "unconstitutional." But the Constitution defines the limits of Federal authority, so it seemed appropriate. Also, I'm not a lawyer, so maybe those words have different meanings than I think they do.

Maybe I should have substituted "illegal" for "unconstitutional." But the Constitution defines the limits of Federal authority, so it seemed appropriate. Also, I'm not a lawyer, so maybe those words have different meanings than I think they do.
I would tend to think that there is actually a fair amount of legal backing for these actions whether we like them or not.

But we should ask the HT house lawyer for clarification.

Calling @VikingsGuy

As a CA resident who's hunting plans have been totally scrapped by the NF closures, I struggle with this one. On one hand, I understand that wildfires are a major threat to life and property and not having the manpower to fight any potential fires is a major risk. But it is also incredibly frustrating to be told that the hundreds of hours and dollars that you've spent preparing for these hunts was wasted. All of the time and money spent on scouting trips, money invested in tags, etc.....gone. The units I planned to hunt have very little BLM land, most of which is completely undesirable for deer hunting, so I am left without options. I don't feel like a "Public Landowner" when these decisions are rolled out seemingly unilaterally.

To me, this compares to the 2nd Amendment arguments on AR's. "They should be illegal because they are used in mass shootings". Similarly, "People visiting the NF cause wildfires, therefore we should keep people out of the forests". If I obey all NFS rules that are designed to mitigate wildfire risks (only drive on designated forest roads, park in approved areas, don't have a campfire, etc.) why shouldn't I be allowed to use PUBLIC land? I'd even be willing to leave the camp stove at home!

If there's anything to be taken form last year, I wouldn't count on the NF reopening on 9/17. And I'm sure that these closures will continue yearly until precipitation increases or forest management practices are improved. In the meantime, I'll start choosing units with more BLM land.

As a CA resident who's hunting plans have been totally scrapped by the NF closures, I struggle with this one. On one hand, I understand that wildfires are a major threat to life and property and not having the manpower to fight any potential fires is a major risk. But it is also incredibly frustrating to be told that the hundreds of hours and dollars that you've spent preparing for these hunts was wasted. All of the time and money spent on scouting trips, money invested in tags, etc.....gone. The units I planned to hunt have very little BLM land, most of which is completely undesirable for deer hunting, so I am left without options. I don't feel like a "Public Landowner" when these decisions are rolled out seemingly unilaterally.

To me, this compares to the 2nd Amendment arguments on AR's. "They should be illegal because they are used in mass shootings". Similarly, "People visiting the NF cause wildfires, therefore we should keep people out of the forests". If I obey all NFS rules that are designed to mitigate wildfire risks (only drive on designated forest roads, park in approved areas, don't have a campfire, etc.) why shouldn't I be allowed to use PUBLIC land? I'd even be willing to leave the camp stove at home!

If there's anything to be taken form last year, I wouldn't count on the NF reopening on 9/17. And I'm sure that these closures will continue yearly until precipitation increases or forest management practices are improved. In the meantime, I'll start choosing units with more BLM land
I was thinking pretty much the same thing, make the NFs an arson free zone.
It's a tough pill for the law abiding hunter to swallow when many people are going to completely disregard the closure, which is incredibly difficult to enforce. I've been hearing some contradictory info, but I do believe some of the Forests will open on the 17th.

Unfortunately for them, this will not happen. The State DFW has already stated it will not refund or reinstate points due to land closures or fires.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing, make the NFs an arson free zone.
It's a tough pill for the law abiding hunter to swallow when many people are going to completely disregard the closure, which is incredibly difficult to enforce. I've been hearing some contradictory info, but I do believe some of the Forests will open on the 17th.
That's what the official statement said which is the day before the next season starts, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets extended before then.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back