AITA (Am i the @$$hole)?

Well, my wife could only handle Montana for 6 months after the original post. So now I’m back in the same boat except with an iron clad ultimatum. Florida or her. So looks like I’m moving to Florida. Very mixed feelings for me. I’m hating winter more each year so that’s plus. Better fishing too. Sure will miss the mountains, resident hunting and my job tho. But I will have 4 weeks to travel and hunt wherever I want every year no questions asked. Hoping the future is a bright one...
Montana was a fun couple years of my life but if I never live there again 🤷‍♂️.

You can always buy a plane ticket and go back for an elk hunt. If you actually hunt for 4 weeks I can’t imagine you will miss all that much.

Try to embrace your new surroundings, great opportunity to get finish up a Turkey slam.

Well, my wife could only handle Montana for 6 months after the original post. So now I’m back in the same boat except with an iron clad ultimatum. Florida or her. So looks like I’m moving to Florida. Very mixed feelings for me. I’m hating winter more each year so that’s plus. Better fishing too. Sure will miss the mountains, resident hunting and my job tho. But I will have 4 weeks to travel and hunt wherever I want every year no questions asked. Hoping the future is a bright one...
Having spent a week in Florida once...you have my sympathy...what an absolutely miserable place. Only 4 weeks away from that flat, humid, hell hole is not enough. It's not even a place worth visiting. I travel a fair bit and can usually find something I like about anyplace...I liked nothing about Florida.

Having spent a week in Florida once...you have my sympathy...what an absolutely miserable place. Only 4 weeks away from that flat, humid, hell hole is not enough. It's not even a place worth visiting. I travel a fair bit and can usually find something I like about anyplace...I liked nothing about Florida.
Yeah I have a really hard time picturing you rock'n chancletas on south beach...

I must be going to a different part of Florida than you guys.
Who tf doesn’t like south Florida?
Bro wrong kind of boat
1643044259234.png

I've been to Florida probably a dozen times every time was really fun, Miami is a trip, Everglades are super cool, loved the keys, the beaches over by Fort Meyers are great, and central Florida is awesome if you're into water sports. I had a blast skiing/wakeboarding while I was there at their cable parks.

Every place I've lived has had it's +/- , being unhappy is about your attitude more so than the place IMHO. I know avid hunters who have moved to AK and been miserable.

@Marshian one thing that's helped me when moving has been making a list of things I want to do in my new home and not necessarily thinking of it as "oh stuck here forever", nothing is ever really permanent. As far as activities, when I moved to Boston I really wanted to get a Eastern Turkey, a whitetail on public land, hunt Vermont, do a sea duck hunt, and ski all the areas out here on the Epic pass. That gave me a bunch of things to get excited about and got me out exploring. As I check something off the list I add new goals.

There are more fun things to do in SW Florida than I can even begin to tackle in my 1-2 weeks I spend there per year with the family. It wouldn't be my first choice as a place to live, but if it meant keeping my family together, I could certainly live a happy life there.

Best of luck on your new adventure. If you are looking for a fun new hobby I have two words of advice. Blue crabs.

Yeah I have a really hard time picturing you rock'n chancletas on south beach...

Bro wrong kind of boat
View attachment 209950

I've been to Florida probably a dozen times every time was really fun, Miami is a trip, Everglades are super cool, loved the keys, the beaches over by Fort Meyers are great, and central Florida is awesome if you're into water sports. I had a blast skiing/wakeboarding while I was there at their cable parks.

Every place I've lived has had it's +/- , being unhappy is about your attitude more so than the place IMHO. I know avid hunters who have moved to AK and been miserable.

@Marshian one thing that's helped me when moving has been making a list of things I want to do in my new home and not necessarily thinking of it as "oh stuck here forever", nothing is ever really permanent. As far as activities, when I moved to Boston I really wanted to get a Eastern Turkey, a whitetail on public land, hunt Vermont, do a sea duck hunt, and ski all the areas out here on the Epic pass. That gave me a bunch of things to get excited about and got me out exploring. As I check something off the list I add new goals.
Sure but you can't escape the density of humans.
7.2 people/sq mile in MT
327.5 people/ sq mile FL

I may have missed it, but where in Florida are you looking? I live in Florida...inventories are basically non-existent, and prices are high as giraffe pu$$

Sure but you can't escape the density of humans.
7.2 people/sq mile in MT
327.5 people/ sq mile FL
Mass is the 3rd densest state, Boston is the only city and all of my hunting spots are within 45 min of city center. Last day of muzzy season I hiked 9 miles saw a bunch of deer and didn't see a soul.

🤷‍♂️

Sure that spot ain't the Bob... but it's also not the cluster-f of the gravellys on opening day.

Mass is the 3rd densest state, Boston is the only city and all of my hunting spots are within 45 min of city center. Last day of muzzy season I hiked 9 miles saw a bunch of deer and didn't see a soul.

🤷‍♂️

Sure that spot ain't the Bob... but it's also not the cluster-f of the gravellys on opening day.
Dude, I read the story you had a guy set up close enough you could talk to each other. Don't be changing your story to fit a narrative.

Plus it's not all about just opening day hunting. The sheer # of people lead to all kinds of other issues that other people might have. How's the star gazing out there? Just trying to actually get away from humanity is almost impossible unless you go off shore.

Dude, I read the story you had a guy set up close enough you could talk to each other. Don't be changing your story to fit a narrative.
That was a totally different and very unique spot, definitely tight quarter hunting.
Just trying to actually get away from humanity is almost impossible unless you go off shore.

Friends have shared some canoe camping pics with me from FL... looks pretty cool.

1643054297886.png

If you want everywhere to be Montana, you are going to be disappointed. That said lots of other places of cool things going for them.

There are more fun things to do in SW Florida than I can even begin to tackle in my 1-2 weeks I spend there per year with the family. It wouldn't be my first choice as a place to live, but if it meant keeping my family together, I could certainly live a happy life there.

Best of luck on your new adventure. If you are looking for a fun new hobby I have two words of advice. Blue crabs.
If my wife asked me to accept change and forced me to move to Florida, the only thing that would change is my choice in women.

I can think of a lot of places that I would have to consider...Florida isn't one of them. If I never see that State again, it will be too soon.

When I visited North Carolina I would rank it as paradise compared to Florida...and that's a fact.

If my wife asked me to accept change and forced me to move to Florida, the only thing that would change is my choice in women.

I can think of a lot of places that I would have to consider...Florida isn't one of them. If I never see that State again, it will be too soon.

When I visited North Carolina I would rank it as paradise compared to Florida...and that's a fact.
Depends on where you live and what you choose to do in your spare time. Here are some benefits to living in Florida:

Fishing (with hook and line or spearfishing) year round
Lobstering
Scalloping
Pig hunting year round
Quail hunting Nov to Feb
Alligator hunting year round
No state income tax
Castle Doctrine
Ron Desantis
Medical marijuana
Women who take care of themselves because they are in a bathing suit 8 months out of 12
Sandbars
Boats
Trump boat parades
If there is a riot blocking a roadway you can run the rioters over without fear of prosecution or civil suits
1/2 day drive from Georgia where you can kill 12 whitetails per year
Several major airports that fly out West every day

There are more but these were just off the top of my head.....

If I never see that State again, it will be too soon.
I said the same thing about the cities of Miami and Orlando, and stand by it. SW Florida I feel very differently about. The 10k Islands is amazing and I’d recommend anyone who enjoys fishing to take a trip down there. I’ve fished a lot of different places for a lot of different things, and hands down, that place is my favorite.

Depends on where you live and what you choose to do in your spare time. Here are some benefits to living in Florida:

Fishing (with hook and line or spearfishing) year round
Lobstering
Scalloping
Pig hunting year round
Quail hunting Nov to Feb
Alligator hunting year round
No state income tax
Castle Doctrine
Ron Desantis
Medical marijuana
Women who take care of themselves because they are in a bathing suit 8 months out of 12
Sandbars
Boats
Trump boat parades
If there is a riot blocking a roadway you can run the rioters over without fear of prosecution or civil suits
1/2 day drive from Georgia where you can kill 12 whitetails per year
Several major airports that fly out West every day
There are more but these were just off the top of my head.....
Nothing on that list would entice me to live in Florida....sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back