Aidan Long Memorial Scholarship - (Ben Long family)

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you know, our own @Ben Long and his wife Karen lost their young son Aidan this winter. At the June BHA Rendezvous, a scholarship fund was setup as a memorial to Aidan, a kid who loved all things outdoors.

The Aidan Long/Outdoors For All Scholarship will help young folks get educational experiences and help kids with disabilities get the specialized gear they need to enjoy the outdoors.

BHA is working to build up the fund to perpetually provide these scholarships, thanks to the establishing donation from Meateater. It is a great way to honor Aidan, his amazing parents, Ben and Karen, and to help kids who need a boost to enjoy the most important years of their lives.

If you have an interest in donating to this cause, I would be in your debt. And there will be amazing kids/families with an interest in the outdoors that benefit from your generosity.

Here is the link - https://www.backcountryhunters.org/the_outdoors_for_all_scholarship_aug_2021?utm_campaign=backcountry_beat_august_2021&utm_medium=email&utm_source=backcountryhunters

Thanks to Ben for being on Hunt Talk for so many years and for providing so much great information for all of us. Ben has been an inspiration to me in more ways than he will likely ever know.

Done!

Hats off to BHA for hosting this scholarship setting for our youth who paddle rougher waters!

What a fantastic venture and couldn't hold a greater role model! Thank you Ben and Karen for allowing your son to be the beacon for this scholarship!

Ben. Sorry for your loss. Our two youngest daughters have epilepsy so this hits pretty close to home and my wife and I send our deepest sympathies to you and Karen. We will be donating and also walk with Aiden in our thoughts when we complete the Epilepsy 5k's we do each year going forward.

Pat

Ben, sorry for the loss of your boy, I can’t imagine!! Good on the BHA, deserves great credit

So sorry Ben and Karen. What a great way to honor your son. Earlier today, prior to seeing this post, I happened to rewatch the OYOA episode with Randy and his pal Bart deer hunting in MT when they spotted someone being brought out in a deer cart. Thoughts of good friends helping a buddy by any means possible led to thinking of others without the resources to make it out to enjoy the outdoors. Great job to everyone involved

I'll be sending something along. My autistic son died from seizure eleven years ago. I still give the memorial award each year at his high school's graduation ceremony. Every graduate who finishes special needs receives the award including a healthy cheque from my late wife's estate. Those kids always receive a standing ovation. They know me well. I'm the guy who brings the cakes for their class parties during the year.

Donation sent. I'm so sorry to hear of this and any words of mine can do nothing to ease the pain of Aiden's family and friends, but please know that Aiden continues to be an inspiration to many of us and this fund is a fantastic way to honor his memory and bless others in similar situations. Thanks @Big Fin for bringing this cause to our attention.

My heartfelt condolences to the Longs. There is no loss in this human life that compares with the loss of a child. What an appropriate and necessary scholarship this is! Adaptive gear for kids who otherwise can't access or enjoy the outdoor life we all share in common.

To my knowledge, I am the skinflintiest, most tight-fisted, eagle-squeezing, cheapest skate, penny pinching, miserly empty pocket on this forum. If I can support this scholarship fund and honor the Long family's memory of their son, then so can you. Do it now.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back