MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Afghanistan man hunt

Incredible stuff Ray, thanks for the series of posts. Look forward to the next one. My "deployed" experience was at Landstuhl, doing our best to care for those flown back from Bagram and Balad. Stay safe, your service is appreciated.

Incredible stuff Ray, thanks for the series of posts. Look forward to the next one. My "deployed" experience was at Landstuhl, doing our best to care for those flown back from Bagram and Balad. Stay safe, your service is appreciated.

Thanks ERSS. I have had many friends pass that way for care. Thanks for your part in that. Since the war started, we have come a long way in tactical and continued medical care. The training that we receive is nothing like it was 10+ years ago. Many lives have been saved and those wounded have a better chance of a good quality of life. :hump:

Agreed Ray. I am in my 26th year of service, mostly reserve. The training I had as an Army medic back in the late 80's is vastly different than what the guys get today. Currently I am a Navy Psych Nurse Practitioner with gaining command of Camp Pendleton. When I served at Landstuhl in 2007-2008, the odds of survival once reaching Germany was 99%. It is my opinion that high number is due to improved unit field care and the incredible work being done in at places like the hospital at Kandahar.

This is the coolest thread in a long time.Glad to see we are still putting it to them terrorists.Your going to be a hell of a deer hunter when you get back with all your spotting practice.Hope you and all your buddies stay safe and keep stacking them up to keep us safe.My son wants to join in 4 more years when he graduates.I'm pretty proud of that decision,but a little afraid at the same time

I received excellent care in Landstuhl for the 10 days I was there. I don't think the doctors and medics and nurses get enough credit for the work they do there as part of their deployments because they aren't in the 'combat zone'.

Wouldn't that be considered a WMD Ray?

You guys are amazing. Stay safe and let us know where to send the beer.

I sure hope he's OK.I haven't see him add to this post in a couple days.It was great following the action
Hope he posts again soon

Sorry for the delay but I'm in transit to a new location. They are pretty much shutting down everything in the West (US military wise). The camp that I was in by Herat went into full retrograde mode when we got back from this mission. I didn't come here to shut down camps so I am now moving to the East where they are still getting after it.

Day 5. The good news about this day was that it was our last scheduled day to be out there. The choppers were scheduled to pick us up and 2000 (that's 8pm for the military time challenged). ;) After 4 days of sleeping 4-5 hours (with guard shifts in between) on a mountain at night and getting in gunfights every day, I was starting to feel my age. :cool: The bad news was that all day long we were getting chatter and intel from the birds overhead that a big group was moving in on us and setting up mortar positions to hit us with. I hate mortars because there's no where to hide or anyone to directly shoot back at. It's a helpless feeling. The ANASF was going through villages kicking in doors trying to get information about where the stolen weapons and nods were. There were a few shots in the villages but nothing directly at us. With all the intel about the mortars and massive group headed our way, HQ did a good job of keeping Apache helicopters in the air to keep their heads down. In the afternoon, the birds had to go back to refuel. That was their chance and they took it. For the first time we started to take fire from two sides. The mountains lit up from the Southern and Eastern ridges. The bullets where flying everywhere. We started laying down our own fire…..60mm mortars, SACR's, SAS's, AK's, M240B, SAW's and M4's were all headed their way. That lasted about an hour until the calvary came in. FA 18's dropped GBU 500's (500lb bombs), Apache helicopters made gun runs and a Specter gun ship even showed up for the party. That put an end to that. Then it was time to count the bodies. I have no idea how none of our guys even took a scrape in that mess but we were all good. Fortunately we didn't get mortar'd either.
The next order of business was to get to the PZ (pickup zone) to get the heck out of Dodge. When we were about an hour out, word came down that we got pushed 24 hours to the right. Talk about a downer. :W: We had already come out of the mountains and were carrying all of our gear. It was decision time. The enemy had already honed in on our positions and we had been in the same place for too long. A few guys took the ATV's out to scout our some new hilltops to occupy. They didn't really like what they saw. No good defendable positions in the area. I told the ground force commander that we only had 30 min of light left and we had to get somewhere fast. I suggested that we take a compound on the edge of a village. It would make us much less likely to get mortar'd and give us walls to defend from. He liked that idea and that's what we did. We invited ourselves in as started setting up defensive positions. There was one hilltop to the North of the compound that we set up another OP on as well. It worked and there were no more attacks that night. These picture were taken the next day.
Compound 1.jpg

Compound 2.jpg

Compound 3.jpg

Compound 4.jpg
Stay tuned for the ending with a couple more crazy twists to the plot. LOL

This is what fighting in AFG is all about!!! The last pic is my favorite, that is the part of combat no one ever sees in the movies.

Ray, this is a great story. I am reliving the highs and lows.

So day 6 begins. Since we were black on water and food, they did a re-supply drop at midnight. They wouldn't want us to get too much sleep after all. We were immediately concerned because it was 48hours worth of rations, not 24. Man I don't want to stay another extra day. I need a shower and a bed. It turns out that this would be our last day but there was talk about keeping us there one more day so they dropped two days worth of supplies just in case. We left the extra food and water with the owners of the compound, along with some money, for their troubles. The ANASF went out looking for info on their lost equipment and the rest of the group just held down the fort….so to speak. We a whole lot # of fuzes that were bad on the mortars that we brought. They fired about 6-7 duds in a row the day before. I told them to quit shooting them and giving the enemy new main charges for their IED's. We also had some extra explosives, bullets and other things that we needed to blow up. Right up my alley. So 7 of us took the ATV's out to do some demo. They picked out a spot about 1K away from the compound. I said, "lets do it on that hilltop over there so the guys from the compound can watch it. So we went to the hilltop and started setting up the shot. It would be about 200lbs worth of explosive for this shot. 4 of us set up the shot while 3 others pushed out for security. When we were almost done setting up the shot, one of the ANA Soldiers started yelling and pointing down into a nearby draw.We thought the bad guys were coming. When I got over there, I couldn't believe my eyes. There in the draw was 3 M4's, 1 SAW (squad automatic weapon) and a pair of NVG's. I guess the guy couldn't carry all that stuff that far. We had just happened to do our demo shot in the area that he had stashed them and saw them before he could come back for them. In the middle of that desert, we just happened to find them. Incredible. I cleared them to make sure they weren't booby-trapped and then we celebrated……..then we went a safe distance and blew the demo shot. At the compound, they didn't think we were serious when we called over the radio to tell em we found the weapons. All that was missing was one M4 and three pairs of NVG's. The news got even better later in the day. About 4K East of us (deeper in the mountains) an Apache helicopter fired a Hell-fire missile into a cave where they had been tracking guys. Inside had been an HVT (high value target), our defector/thief, the last missing M4 and at least one more set of NVG's (maybe all three). That seemed to put a nice neat bow on the whole operation. That night the choppers did come and pick us up. Thank God. HaHa After 6 days of living in the suck, we all came back, punched our tags and accomplished our mission. They don't all go that good and they aren't all that hard. This one was just a good one with a good story. So thanks for going on the journey with me.

A good group of guys that knows how to get the job done.
Group pic.jpg
We left a lot of brass on in those mountains.
Brass.jpg
I dedicate this thread to two of the many friends and brothers I have lost along the way.
Chris n Chauncy.jpg
Mission complete, Mandog out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back