Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Affordable bolt action

What makes them a deal, other than they are on sale? The action looks cheap AF.
You should find one and handle it, work the action. In a different league than the other options mentioned. I was comparing it to the Tikka and Browning X Bolt and found it at least on par plus you get the 3 position safety. The current price is screaming low......I would have on now if I could justify another rifle currently.

My son’s fist rifle was Mossburg Patriot in .308. He took a deer with it last year at close range, but I would not consider it a very accurate rifle. We just upgraded him to a used Tikka. Probably should have done that to begin with.

Would you like an affordable rifle or a good rifle? I bought a Axis II and topped with a like-new Leupold VX2. It’s not a good rifle. It’s ugly, feels cheap - zombie gun. However, I doctored up the stock to make it passably useful. It’s accurate and gets the job done.

I have several axis rifles and we love all of them. Hard to beat for the price.

For the price, I don't think you can beat the accuracy or a ruger american out of the box with factory ammo. There's a video of a guy getting one in 6.5 manbun and taking it out to 1000 yards with factory ammo pretty easily. That'd be my first choice for a budget gun!

It depends on the purpose exactly. Big fan of the 06 so that’s a good start. If you’re after something light to carry around for miles buy a Tikka and it’ll probably outlast you. I’ve handled guns double the price that don’t have an action that smooth. I’d personally lean toward a Howa/Weatherby Vanguard as an all around choice. Solid guns and the extra weight will make that 06 a little more pleasant to shoot. I’ll never argue that the Savage won’t shoot but the base models feel super cheap. Had a Ruger American and it also shot well, just some feeding issues with the magazine.

My daughter would like to get an affordable, but good, bolt action rifle for her soon to be husband. I am leaning toward a 30-06 because of the versatility and great reloading options. What models would you guys lean toward? I was thinking Savage Axis Hunter, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot. Many come scoped with a vortex scope and with a total cost in the $500 range. They are moving to Montana soon so this is a do everything gun. Hope you guys like my caliber choice. Thx Pete
For just $150-$200 more or so you can get a much nicer rifle in a Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard 2 (a rebranded Howa 1500), Savage 1x/1x0 series, or even a Savage Axis II. The three you listed will shoot straight, but leave something to be desired on the finer points even for value-priced guns.

I'd have to vote for the Howa 1500 too. I picked one up in 308 this summer and the more I shoot it the better I like it. I love the trigger. $429 at sportsmans but they're all out of stock right now.

Have you seen the rebate/sale SW just out out today on the Browning AB3’s? $350 after rebate for synthetic and $430 after rebate for walnut stocked version. Have to be a part of their free rewards to get these prices I think, but was really impressed with seeing these prices.

For just $150-$200 more or so you can get a much nicer rifle in a Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard 2 (a rebranded Howa 1500), Savage 1x/1x0 series, or even a Savage Axis II. The three you listed will shoot straight, but leave something to be desired on the finer points even for value-priced guns.
This. I have a Weatherby Vanguard and it is a fantastic rifle. The extra money may not seem like it would get you much but having a Ruger American and a couple of Axis IIs I would say the extra money will get you a nicer shooting rifle. If it is an issue the Vanguard in 30-06 usually comes equipped with a 24" barrel while the Ruger and Savage have a 22" barrel. Not sure if that would swing your decision one way or another. Me I have 2 30-06 rifles one a 22" and just bought a 24" barreled one (Winchester XPR) which may be another rifle to consider, though I just got it and have not gotten it to range yet (thanks COVID-19 resurgence closing my range).

You probably won't go wrong with any rifle you buy but in general get the best rifle and optics you can afford for your price point and as others have noted, look at the used rifle rack as well.

I did a lot of searching for a budget bolt action and talked to a lot of knowledgeable people both online and in real life. I did a lot of reading as well, and had the chance to fire several rifles. Howas can often be found cheap, and are excellent. Same goes for the cheapest Weatherby Vanguard models.

Ruger Americans seem to be excellent with very high owner satisfaction, although the magazines are said by some to be subpar. The stocks are super flimsy, though. The Winchester XPR is also gaining a reputation for being a good budget gun, and I like the stock better than the Ruger. The Mossberg Patriot has a lot of defenders, but it feels awfully cheap. The TC Compass is probably the ugliest rifle ever made, but I continue to hear people marvel at it. I will never own one though.

After all my research, I saved up more money and bought a Tikka.

I did a lot of searching for a budget bolt action and talked to a lot of knowledgeable people both online and in real life. I did a lot of reading as well, and had the chance to fire several rifles. Howas can often be found cheap, and are excellent. Same goes for the cheapest Weatherby Vanguard models.

Ruger Americans seem to be excellent with very high owner satisfaction, although the magazines are said by some to be subpar. The stocks are super flimsy, though. The Winchester XPR is also gaining a reputation for being a good budget gun, and I like the stock better than the Ruger. The Mossberg Patriot has a lot of defenders, but it feels awfully cheap. The TC Compass is probably the ugliest rifle ever made, but I continue to hear people marvel at it. I will never own one though.

After all my research, I saved up more money and bought a Tikka.

Exactly why you don’t buy a cheap rifle. When gifting someone and they pick up a rifle with a cheap plastic stock they are instantly not going to like it. Does not matter if it will shoot 1/8” groups. It’s the first feel that decides whether some will like a rifle or hate it before it’s even shot.

Same way we eat with our eyes first. She needs to get the reaction that her thoughts deserve. She will get that with a nice wooden or fiberglass stock and smooth bolt. You cannot deny the warmth of a nice wood stock when you first pick it up, there is just something about it that people like. Plastic stock guns should be avoided at all cost if she wants this marriage to last.

Threads like this always produce a volume of posts and opinions. I'll join the party. First off I'll say that I am pretty partial to Tikka, but I also get being on a budget. Of the rifles the OP mentioned, the ones I have experience with are the Ruger American and Savage Axis.

My wife used a lefty Savage Axis for a lot of years. It was a very accurate little budget gun and she shot a pile of deer with it. I'd recommend it.

I had a Ruger American briefly. It was not good. Not accurate, I couldn't get it to shoot groups any better than 1.5" at 100yds. I've heard others say the exact opposite about their American, but my experience with it was not good.

Anyway, a "budget" rifle that seldom gets recommended is the the Remington 700 SPS. Its a little more expensive than the others mentioned, but I've had several and never seen one that wasn't rugged and sub-MOA in terms of accuracy. The stock is awful, but that's pretty standard for rifles he price range we're talking.

So my advice is, in decending order, go with a Tikka T3X if possible. Or a Remington 700 SPS if possible. But if $500 is the absolute ceiling, Savage Axis.

For a scope, have a look at the Vortex Crossfire II.

I found a Savage 111 trophy Hunter XP (barely used) in 30-06 for $425 with the nikon scope locally. My daughter was pumped and now has to fight the urge to give it to him before xmas :) Don't know how it shoots but the accutriggger does not suck. Thanks for all the suggestions! Pete

Back