Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Who builds custom WOOD/BLUED bolt-action hunting rifles built around Mauser controlled-feed actions?

Remember when boomers bought Japanese cars and instead of tearing down the engine and rebuilding it to painstakingly wring horsepower out of the big iron V-8 engines they just put coffee cans on the exhaust tips to make their aluminum 4 cylinder motors *sound* faster?

Me either. :D

36jq8a.jpg

I remember Boomers giving us the Amc Pacer, the Pinto, the Gremlin, the Mustang II, the K car, the Subaru Brat, corporate disco & sexual disease outbreaks fueled by massive cocaine consumption.

So...

I remember Boomers giving us the Amc Pacer, the Pinto, the Gremlin, the Mustang II, the K car, the Subaru Brat, corporate disco & sexual disease outbreaks fueled by massive cocaine consumption.

So...
Pretty sure all the Japanese carmakers got their foot in the door in the US market when the Boomer's were "guarding" the door... That being said, my WW2 vet Grandpa thought Toyota 4x4 pickups were just about an ideal vehicle, but he did own a Mustang II so.:unsure:...

In benchrest, remember. Not offhand.

FWIW, I have 2 target rifles built on 1885 Winchesters. One is a .22 LR, the other a .45-70. I have several hammers for them, but one is a custom made, Titanium hammer that has no half @#)(# and falls from full @#)(# less than 1/4" The heavy steel hammer falls more like 3/4", so huge difference in weight and travel. Both are powered by the same dual flat and coil spring system. I can't time the hammer falls with each one, but they are pretty substantially different.

I cannot tell the difference in accuracy using either hammer on either rifle. I suspect it may be there, but that it would take literally 1000s of rounds of ammo to prove it.

I think the action's contribution to accuracy is pretty close to nil in almost all circumstances, but things like lock time and flex and so forth are being dramatically overstated to sell rifles, magazine articles, and all the things that go with them.
I’m not saying that the effect is large, but I firmly believe it is there. I also believe that the difference is smaller when you’re closer to being perfect. A great shooter can probably shoot many many more shots before he screws up during that narrow window of time, but I firmly believe that cutting that window in half is an advantage. A stock Mauser with its heavy firing pin and long throw vs Remington 700 with an aftermarket firing pin is a pretty large difference. I once had a Jim Meyer with a very short travel firing that seemed to be done firing before the trigger even broke.

I don’t think actions have to be perfect stem to stern. I primarily use unmodified, production Remington 700 actions that most of competitive shooters would tell you need all sorts of work before they are usable.

Pretty sure all the Japanese carmakers got their foot in the door in the US market when the Boomer's were "guarding" the door... That being said, my WW2 vet Grandpa thought Toyota 4x4 pickups were just about an ideal vehicle, but he did own a Mustang II so.:unsure:...
My grandpa fought in the Pacific and the last two vehicles he bought were Toyotas, including a really cool old late 70s Land Cruiser. I wish that thing was still running.

My grandpa fought in the Pacific and the last two vehicles he bought were Toyotas, including a really cool old late 70s Land Cruiser. I wish that thing was still running.
Mine fought in North Africa, Italy and France, but swore that the Japanese had vehicle making figured out. He also felt the 257 Roberts was the perfect deer gun and the 270 was ideal for anything larger. As I get older, I think he may have been more right than wrong.

I want that classic 1950's/1960's/1970's look. I want all the bells and whistles of the Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade with a couple changes.

-Mauser 98 action
-jeweled bolt
-hinged floor plate
-polished metal bolt handle with round knob and curved/tapered stem
-polished blued action
-walnut traditional-pattern checkered Monte Carlo stock, dark hand-rubbed finish
-no iron sights
-recoil pad
with white spacer
-black pistol grip cap with white spacer
-black forend cap with white spacer
-right-hand bolt handle
-sling swivels
-caliber 6.5 Creedmoor
-drilled/taped for scope mounting

This is the Husky 3000 for visual reference. This is a joy for my older baby-boomer eyes to behold.

View attachment 207245

PS - I fear I may never find a Husky 3000 or a Savage 99 in such condition and price that I like. Having a custom rifle built to look like that Swedish classic above just might be too hard on my savings account if it exceeds $1,500. The nicest pretty thing, wood-stocked-hunting-rifle-wise in mint condition for about $1,400 I've seen lately on GB is a mint/unused Belgian Browning BAR in .243. BAR's have been the dream of a number of American big-game hunters. Browning made some nice-looking Safari bolt-action rifles in the 1970's with Mauser-based actions but they are not quite as pretty as these Swedish jobs. Few new production hunting rifles these days have that round-ball Mauser bolt handle knob for easy palming and sharp looks. If I can't find a nice-looking bolt gun in my price ballpark, it may very well have to be a nice Browning BAR auto.
I feel exactly the same way. I recently purchased this custom 1970's Paul Jaeger built on FN Mauser action in 30-06. Full walnut Mannlicher stock, classic lines and cheekpiece, with ebony schnable forend cap, 22 to the line hand checkering. Engraving and inlay, magazine floor plate, trigger guard, scope rings, and pistol grip cap by Claus Willig, two panel checkered bolt handle, Austrian Bohler Rasant octagon barrel with full rib and front sight base. Jeweling on full bolt and bolt release, checkered steel Neider butt plate, exceptional Jaeger trigger. I replaced the seventies Leupold Vari XII 2-7x with a 2000's Leupold VX1 2-7x in matte finish.

Attachments

• 20611-01.jpg
    20611-01.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20611-05.jpg
    20611-05.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20611-13.jpg
    20611-13.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 15
  • 20611-14.jpg
    20611-14.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20611-19.jpg
    20611-19.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail_IMG_0701.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0701.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 17
I feel exactly the same way. I recently purchased this custom 1970's Paul Jaeger built on FN Mauser action in 30-06. Full walnut Mannlicher stock, classic lines and cheekpiece, with ebony schnable forend cap, 22 to the line hand checkering. Engraving and inlay, magazine floor plate, trigger guard, scope rings, and pistol grip cap by Claus Willig, two panel checkered bolt handle, Austrian Bohler Rasant octagon barrel with full rib and front sight base. Jeweling on full bolt and bolt release, checkered steel Neider butt plate, exceptional Jaeger trigger. I replaced the seventies Leupold Vari XII 2-7x with a 2000's Leupold VX1 2-7x in matte finish.
Woah. You should probably sell that thing to me.

damn that thing is purty but id prefer a bit more barrel showing

OK as a bona fide (1946) boomer, here are my Mark X Mauser rifles that I put together in 1977.

Like BrentD, I taught myself to finish semi-inleted stocks, glass and pillar bed actions, grind recoil pads, and finish and hand checker stocks. I put both of these rifles in Fajen semi-inleted stocks.

This first one is a Mauser Mark X .25-06 barreled action that I had my gunsmith re-chamber to .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. The Fajen walnut stock has a rosewood grip cap and fore end with white maple spacers. I hand checkered it with my favorite wrap around multi panel pattern. It has been my favorite deer, antelope, and mountain sheep rifle since 1977.
PbkPjgHl.jpg

And this one is a Mauser Mark X action that I had my gunsmith make a tapered octogon barrel for it chambered in .22-250. It is also in a Fajen stock with a fancy walnut grip cap and fore end with ebony spacers. I also hand checkered it with my same favorite wrap around multi panel pattern.
1a7QxfXl.jpg

As one of those lazy uncultured millennials whose collection ranges across the spectrum from things like Winchester 97 Black Diamond, Tournament Grade model 12, Belgian sweet 16, New Zealand lend lease 1903 Springfield, Ruger 3 screw Blackhawks, to Benelli SBE2 and Savage Axis and glocks. My SBE and walmart grade savage axis see more truck and trigger time than anything else. Not because the old beautiful stuff doesn't work but for certain jobs soulless hammers are a better fit. I never look at my rubber handled estwing and think if it had a stacked leather grip it would drive nails better, but again I'm an uncultured swine millennial 🤷‍♂️

(I'll also add that walmart grade savage is hands down the most accurate, least ammo picky rifle I've ever owned)

Last edited:
That's pretty slick. Will itcook breakfast and make coffee. That is just purty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back