Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Who builds custom WOOD/BLUED bolt-action hunting rifles built around Mauser controlled-feed actions?

TomTeriffic

I want that classic 1950's/1960's/1970's look. I want all the bells and whistles of the Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade with a couple changes.

-Mauser 98 action
-jeweled bolt
-hinged floor plate
-polished metal bolt handle with round knob and curved/tapered stem
-polished blued action
-walnut traditional-pattern checkered Monte Carlo stock, dark hand-rubbed finish
-no iron sights
-recoil pad
with white spacer
-black pistol grip cap with white spacer
-black forend cap with white spacer
-right-hand bolt handle
-sling swivels
-caliber 6.5 Creedmoor
-drilled/taped for scope mounting

This is the Husky 3000 for visual reference. This is a joy for my older baby-boomer eyes to behold.

1640927785952.png

PS - I fear I may never find a Husky 3000 or a Savage 99 in such condition and price that I like. Having a custom rifle built to look like that Swedish classic above just might be too hard on my savings account if it exceeds $1,500. The nicest pretty thing, wood-stocked-hunting-rifle-wise in mint condition for about $1,400 I've seen lately on GB is a mint/unused Belgian Browning BAR in .243. BAR's have been the dream of a number of American big-game hunters. Browning made some nice-looking Safari bolt-action rifles in the 1970's with Mauser-based actions but they are not quite as pretty as these Swedish jobs. Few new production hunting rifles these days have that round-ball Mauser bolt handle knob for easy palming and sharp looks. If I can't find a nice-looking bolt gun in my price ballpark, it may very well have to be a nice Browning BAR auto.

Last edited:
Not to be a downer but a $1500 custom gun with those specs is going to be only slightly rarer than a three legged unicorn.
No downer, just a realist. My grandfather received a brand-new Husky 3000 just like the one above in 1962 from my folks. My father said it retailed through the air force exchange in Germany for $200 back then, 59 years ago. Might have been more expensive retail at a civilian American gun shop on our soil. What is $200 in today's American gun shop or military exchange money? That Swedish rifle also had a deluxe tooled leather case and a stock maker's tag that said first name of Olaf. This gun was no tupper-junk from China by no means. Solid blue steel and hand checkered wood. Solid just like the automobiles were then.

All that, and chambered in a Creedmoor? Why not a 7mm or 6.5x55?

You are the first person I've ever run across that actually wants white line spacers.
I already own some Creedmoor ammo and how rare and expensive are those calibers listed above anyway? I could also go for a more common deer caliber like .270 Winchester. I only want does for meat so even .243 would be doable. Creedmoor ammo seems so common these days and not too pricey even for name brands. I want a sensible deer caliber for American hunting not rare and expensive in factory loadings and not the heaviest kicking also. If I went for a custom bolt action, I might stay away from the .30 somethings. If I found a nice Husky 3000 or Savage 99 in a .30 something within my price ballpark, I'd still buy it and use a shoulder pad built into a hunting vest or a past pad.

Last edited:
If you’re in OK, there are usually a few Mauser-centric booths at the annual big Tulsa gun show at Wannemacher’s in April that could get you handling guns like you are talking about. You won’t be able to find a custom gun as described for $1.5k, guaranteed.

You should think through what kind of Mauser action do you care about…is sporterized milsurp ok (shaves cost but can have some unsightly items like thumb slots for stripper clips), do you want Oberndorf, Fabrique Nationale, Argentine or Yugo?

Your best bet is to comb gunbroker for a while and find something close enough that could be modified. Here are pics of an Oberndorf I got a few years ago in 30-06 for I think $700 that is directionally close to what you’re talking about. Get something like that and modify to get all the way there (checkering).

Also, if you’re talking to a true Mauser guy, don’t for God’s sake mention a Creedmoor. That would be like finding a piece of the holy cross and having it refinished. They’re beautiful rifles full of history … don’t @#)(# it up

0147205B-8F29-4C5A-BFD3-84E6D1792D87.jpeg4D87F0B5-62F8-414A-919B-FCDB6185E174.jpeg

Last edited:
If you’re in OK, there are usually a few Mauser-centric booths at the annual big Tulsa gun show at Wannemacher’s in April that could get you handling guns like you are talking about. You won’t be able to find a custom gun as described for $1.5k, guaranteed.

You should think through what kind of Mauser action do you care about…is sporterized milsurp ok (shaves cost but can have some unsightly items like thumb slots for stripper clips), do you want Oberndorf, Fabrique Nationale, Argentine or Yugo?

Your best bet is to comb gunbroker for a while and find something close enough that could be modified. Here are pics of an Oberndorf I got a few years ago in 30-06 for I think $700 that is directionally close to what you’re talking about. Get something like that and modify to get all the way there (checkering).

Also, if you’re talking to a true Mauser guy, don’t for God’s sake mention a Creedmoor. That would be like finding a piece of the holy cross and having it refinished. They’re beautiful rifles full of history … don’t @#)(# it up

View attachment 207252View attachment 207253
I want a HUNTING rifle to match the style of that Husqvarna unless it's economically out of the question for me. I'll try to be more patient and hopefully a minty Husky 3000 or even a minty Savage 99 will show up in my price range. Everything used to be so beautiful and good as gold and diamond solid out of the factory 50-75 years ago until younger generations of spoiled punks came along and screwed up the world as we know it. How did the human race get so addicted to cheesy plastic stuff?
Why doesn't Sweden still make those "Fabulous 50's" style Huskys? How dare Savage drop the Model 99 anyway! I'm the kind of person who appreciates the looks of a '53 Chevy or a '79 Oldsmobile over a Hyundai. Harley-Davidson style peeked with the Evo Big Twin motor and the Springer Softail.

Mad-as-hell American boomer here.

Last edited:
You should have put all this in your letter to Santa in time for Christmas!

I'm not really a gun guy, but I think Cheesehead is on to something. Probably can find something used in a less known or celebrated model of rifle that has some or most of the specs you like and go from there.

I want a HUNTING rifle to match the style of that Husqvarna unless it's economically out of the question for me. I'll try to be more patient and hopefully a minty Husky 3000 or even a minty Savage 99 will show up in my price range. Everything used to be so beautiful and good as gold and diamond solid out of the factory 50-75 years ago until younger generations of spoiled punks came along and screwed up the world as we know it. How did the human race get so addicted to cheesy plastic stuff?
Why doesn't Sweden still make those "Fabulous 50's" style Huskys? How dare Savage drop the Model 99 anyway! I'm the kind of person who appreciates the looks of a '53 Chevy or a '79 Oldsmobile over a Hyundai. Harley-Davidson style peeked with the Evo Big Twin motor and the Springer Softail.

Plastic stocks became popular in the 80's and 90's when Boomers had all the buying power.... when Savage ended the 99 as well.....

What is $200 in today's American gun shop or military exchange money?
Simple inflation adjustment has $200 in 1962 the same as $1,850 in 2021. For a production rifle that would put it in the upper range of production rifles today. Of course then and now custom costs significantly more than retail off the shelf.

Just a guess, but with some shopping and patience you could have a barreled action to your specs for $1500-$1750. A really classic high grade custom walnut stock will be again that at least. All in $3,000-$4,000 is the range you are talking.

It seems unreasonable to expect to get a new custom rifle with very specific requirements for less (inflation adjusted) than the new price of a then factory rifle.

And please go with 6.5Swede chambering. If you just want it for white tails you only need a box a year (incl sighting in and a little practice). Cost of ammo in this case is a rounding error compared to cost of rifle.

Last edited:
OP is obviously chasing some personal nostalgia - nothing wrong with that. His initial budget is off (as many folks learn as they get into nicer guns - god knows @BrentD has me looking at guns that shock my wallet), but no need to be snarky - the heart wants what the heart wants and it was a reasonable question. And now he knows either expectations or wallet have to change.

Everything used to be so beautiful and good as gold and diamond solid out of the factory 50-75 years ago until younger generations of spoiled punks came along and screwed up the world as we know it. How did the human race get so addicted to cheesy plastic stuff?

I was trying to sympathize with you Tom, until you had to blame your problems on "younger generations of spoiled punks."

What ever happened to your grandfather's husky? Still in the family?

OP is obviously chasing some personal nostalgia - nothing wrong with that. His initial budget is off (as many folks learn as they get into nicer guns - god knows @BrentD has me looking at guns that shock my wallet), but no need to be snarky - the heart wants what the heart wants and it was a reasonable question. And now he knows either expectations or wallet have to change.

BrentD---AND---buffybr, and happymyles, as well

But yes, for what you want I am afraid you need to save a bit more money in order to get it. Or go to every small gun shop in a 1000 mile radius and look--and pray, someone has something that they dont know they have.

Just my opinion, but if your going to spend that amount of money for that type of rifle, please reconsider the Swede. You will not be disappointed and in fact possibly pleasantly surprised

Best of luck in your search and/or build

No downer, just a realist. My grandfather received a brand-new Husky 3000 just like the one above in 1962 from my folks. My father said it retailed through the air force exchange in Germany for $200 back then, 59 years ago. Might have been more expensive retail at a civilian American gun shop on our soil. What is $200 in today's American gun shop or military exchange money? That Swedish rifle also had a deluxe tooled leather case and a stock maker's tag that said first name of Olaf. This gun was no tupper-junk from China by no means. Solid blue steel and hand checkered wood. Solid just like the automobiles were then.
Not to burst your bubble...
But people are paying over $100 for a brick of primers now.

For $200, a gunshop may let you hold a custom rifle of your specifications, before putting it back in the rack.

Before this crunch all started, i had found a beautiful Dakota Model 10 single shot in 243 Win on sale for $9,995.

Melvin Forbes rifles start at $3,600.
Gunwerks and others start way above that.

Check out Mauser's website, and see what they are asking for their rifles.

Last edited:
Even if you wanted to pay the 5 figures it would take to build a fine custom (probably could be done for less with some corner cutting), it will take years to be finished. What you are asking for is not a gunsmith, but a gunmaker. The differences are subtle, but very important. Among those differences, gunmaker time is quite different from "bullethead" time. You said you are a boomer, which means you don't have a ton of time to wait. So, the used market is the place to go, and everything Cheesehead said is spot on, right down to the, don't be a 6.5 Manbunner.

If you find something kinda in the ballpark, maybe you can add some parts to that and then find a gunsmith, not a gunmaker, that can get you the rest of the way there.

I looked around briefly for you. Sometimes things can be found easily. This is one of those. It sounds close to what you want, but note the sticker price. You might talk them down. A little.

I would suggest that you, instead, look for 1903s. Sometimes they can be had somewhat cheaper. For instance, I bought this 1903 Hypothesized Meunier for about $2700 some 5-8 yrs ago. You can do better in some cases, but you really have to hunt for them, and you have to be flexible about what you want.

while you are searching for 1903s, you may find a pretty darn nice mauser along the way.

Steve Meunier 1903 B.JPG
Steve Meunier 1903 A.JPG

Even if you wanted to pay the 5 figures it would take to build a fine custom (probably could be done for less with some corner cutting), it will take years to be finished. What you are asking for is not a gunsmith, but a gunmaker. The differences are subtle, but very important. Among those differences, gunmaker time is quite different from "bullethead" time. You said you are a boomer, which means you don't have a ton of time to wait. So, the used market is the place to go, and everything Cheesehead said is spot on, right down to the, don't be a 6.5 Manbunner.

If you find something kinda in the ballpark, maybe you can add some parts to that and then find a gunsmith, not a gunmaker, that can get you the rest of the way there.

I looked around briefly for you. Sometimes things can be found easily. This is one of those. It sounds close to what you want, but note the sticker price. You might talk them down. A little.

I would suggest that you, instead, look for 1903s. Sometimes they can be had somewhat cheaper. For instance, I bought this 1903 Hypothesized Meunier for about $2700 some 5-8 yrs ago. You can do better in some cases, but you really have to hunt for them, and you have to be flexible about what you want.

while you are searching for 1903s, you may find a pretty darn nice mauser along the way.

View attachment 207262
View attachment 207263
And this is the @BrentD we have come to know and love - ask a $1,500 question and get a $15,000 answer ;) (and some pretty pictures).

View attachment 207262
View attachment 207263
WOW what a beautiful gun. That thing is a showstopper for sure

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back