Yeti GOBOX Collection

They just don't build beautiful hunting guns like they used to.

TomTeriffic

The following three long guns are the prettiest models I ever did see. My grandfather owned two of them: Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage with straight uncheckered stock and a Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade with high-comb Monte Carlo stock in .308.

There is no lever-action rifle sleeker and more elegant than the American Savage Model 99 series. The Swedish Husqvarna 3000 Crown Grade bolt-action rifle is pure majesty to behold. Mauser 98 action, long rotary control-feed extractor claw, jeweled bolt, fancy hand-rubbed walnut Monto Carlo stock, hand checkering, white spacers, black pistol grip and fore-end caps, metal butt plate, hinged floor plate, smooth, polished round-ball-knob, tapered and curved bolt handle. My grandfather's Husky had a darker wood finish and was in safe-queen condition when he passed away. The venerable Browning Superposed over/under shotgun is sheer elegance from the old-world craftsmen of Belgium.

I would almost give my soul for any of these guns in minty shape. They are hard to find, sold out a lot or prohibitively expensive. This awesome threesome are the ultimate envy of American hunters and gun collectors.

three beautiful hunting guns.jpg

Last edited:
PS - What is the correct terminology for the style of stocks and for-ends on each of the guns above? What kind of receiver does the Savage and Browning have? I have heard of terms like "boxlock" and "sidelock" on over and unders. The Husqvarna has a Mauser 98 style controlled-feed action. There is no more beautiful and classic action than that in the world of bolt-action rifles. No Winchester Model 70, Weatherby Mark V, Sako, Tikka or Remington 700 was ever as pretty as that Husky 3000.

The ways of nice wood are gone. Production number is a demand forcing chassis’s to be the deal.

This is why I only buy vintage firearms, never new.

My local gun shop has a Savage 99 on the sale rack and I’ve been giving it serious consideration.

To my view of things, Henry builds very attractive rifles right here in USA. I also appreciate the Browning BLR for its attention to details.

TR
I just looked at a picture of a Browning BLR. To my surprise, it has no magazine tube just like the Savage 99. Were these ever made in Belgium? I have seen Henry rifles and they are shaped just like any Winchester/Marlin/Browning lever job. All lever guns except Savage 99 have the same basic quaint clunky/lumpy shape. Most lever guns look like a Ford Model T while a Savage 99 looks like a sleek 1975 Corvette in comparison.

I just looked at a picture of a Browning BLR. To my surprise, it has no magazine tube just like the Savage 99. Were these ever made in Belgium? I have seen Henry rifles and they are shaped just like any Winchester/Marlin/Browning lever job. All lever guns except Savage 99 have the same basic quaint clunky/lumpy shape. Most lever guns look like a Ford Model T while a Savage 99 looks like a sleek 1975 Corvette in comparison.
Yes, my BLR was made in Belgium.

If you think most lever guns look clunky or quaint I feel sorry for you. However however, check out the Winchester 1895.

Yes, my BLR was made in Belgium.

If you think most lever guns look clunky or quaint I feel sorry for you. However however, check out the Winchester 1895.
To my surprise, that has a box mag and not a mag tube like a typical cowboy gun does. Outside of the Savage 99, every other lever job looks like a Winchester 1863 to my eyes. The 1895 still doesn't have pretty smooth, rounded lines like the Savage 99 but the tapered fore end looks like an improvement as well as a box magazine to fire superior cartridges with "needle-sharp" bullets. I also thought the Savage 99 was the first lever gun ever to dispose of the mag tube to allow for superior spitzer cartridges to be loaded and fired safely. I still say shame on Savage Arms for dumping the Model 99 in 1998.

A winchester lever gun is clunky, but a savage 99 isn't? The grip on a 99 looks like a damn 2x4 compared to a model 94

I wonder if people on another forum somewhere are lamenting that hammers and screwdrivers aren’t pretty anymore.
Of course. What is not to like about a well crafted screwdriver or hammer? Of course nowadays we don't call them turn screws and mallets like we used to :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back