They just don't build beautiful hunting guns like they used to.

A winchester lever gun is clunky, but a savage 99 isn't? The grip on a 99 looks like a damn 2x4 compared to a model 94
I happen to think checkered pistol grips on wood stock look elegant. It adds sexy curves just like a woman's figure. Alongside any Winchester lever, the classic Savage looks like a narrow-body jetliner for curvaceous sleekness. For good looks, the Savage is "a 1964 Cadillac Eldorado". The Winchester lever is something of a Nash, a Hudson, a Studebaker or perhaps an Edsel in the looks department.

I know the Savage 99 is good tech, but seems like it couldn't decide what it wanted to be; stock, including schnabel like a bolt, but lever action. Neither fish nor fowl. Beauty, though in the eye...hope you find one.

I know the Savage 99 is good tech, but seems like it couldn't decide what it wanted to be; stock, including schnabel like a bolt, but lever action. Neither fish nor fowl. Beauty, though in the eye...hope you find one.
I think the popularity of bolt guns/AR's/semi-autos and the decline of the popularity of wood and blue steel killed off the old Savage. Could the Model 99 have survived if an all-weather/matte finish and a plastic black stock was offered at least as an option? Why do Winchester/Marlin blue/wood levers still do so well in sales? Oh, cowboy action shooting. Cowboy stuff is COOL these days. A trend that has been growing with American youth since the early 1990's. In the 1990's, country music, cowboy hats and pickup trucks suddenly where a hit with young America.

Are you a troll? We all have our opinions. I don't necessarily agree with yours, but it is yours. Sometimes, things should be kept to one's self. I will not share my thoughts on hammerless lever guns of the savage variety. Good day sir.

Ya know, in allmhonesty i think todays guns are light years ahead of yesterdays guns. Thing I don't care for about todays guns is all the plastic stocks but then most gun from the past had fairly plain wood stocks on them. Lot of well under one inch out of the box rifles out there today. Just not enough wood stocks for me.

It depends on you define it. I have my Winchester pre 64 30-06 I had for 40 plus years. My oldest son has a Weatherby Mark V ultralite 30-06. On my best day using my reloads that thing shots better at 300 yards with factory ammo then my 64 does at 100. But do I want one of them no. I pick up my beautiful walnut stock, heavy weight 06 and go hunting, but to him beautiful is a rifle that shoots 1 hole.

Are you a troll? We all have our opinions. I don't necessarily agree with yours, but it is yours. Sometimes, things should be kept to one's self. I will not share my thoughts on hammerless lever guns of the savage variety. Good day sir.
No, I'm just mad because the particular guns I LIKE and the styles I LIKE are no longer produced. The 21st Century World hates my guts. They saw me coming and went out of their way to purposely hurt my feelings. My parts are hurt over the death of those three beautiful guns in my OP.

Last edited:
No, I'm just mad because the particular guns I LIKE and the styles I LIKE are no longer produced. The 21st Century World hates my guts. They saw me coming and went out of their way to purposely hurt my feelings. My parts are hurt over the death of those three beautiful guns in my OP.
Oh I can relate to your hurt parts! But I cry over different guns, for certain.

1. 1885 Winchesters - the finest rifles ever made, bar none
2. British shotguns - there are no peers, though some Frenchies are up there too
3. And then, I could go with British singleshots, especially muzzleloaders of Rigby, Henry, Metford, Gibbs etc. Or with British double rifles - quite simply untouchable. But I think the third place has to go to the folk art of the American longrifle as made by gunsmiths in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Virginia, and the Carolinas.

Y'all free to disagree. No need to drive the market any harder or higher - I'm still a buyer, not a seller :)

I should add that these guns are still made by boutique shops and gunmakers all over the world and especially in the USofA. they can be had for not crazy money - if you really want them, or you can adopt an original a become a caretaker of history for a few decades.

It depends on you define it. I have my Winchester pre 64 30-06 I had for 40 plus years. My oldest son has a Weatherby Mark V ultralite 30-06. On my best day using my reloads that thing shots better at 300 yards with factory ammo then my 64 does at 100. But do I want one of them no. I pick up my beautiful walnut stock, heavy weight 06 and go hunting, but to him beautiful is a rifle that shoots 1 hole.
Mr. Gun Blue has this dandy video of the Savage 99 in .300 Savage. He claims his can group 5/8 MOA or better routinely. Many new OTB bolt-actions are hard-pressed to do that.

<iframe width="1029" height="579" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Agree, but doubt they will ever be made again (unless you know otherwise which would be great). Did pick up 2 last year.
You know, they are making "Dakota" Rifles in the same factory in Sturgis under the name Parkwest. Just saw this on another forum.

I happen to think checkered pistol grips on wood stock look elegant. It adds sexy curves just like a woman's figure. Alongside any Winchester lever, the classic Savage looks like a narrow-body jetliner for curvaceous sleekness. For good looks, the Savage is "a 1964 Cadillac Eldorado". The Winchester lever is something of a Nash, a Hudson, a Studebaker or perhaps an Edsel in the looks department.

Guess which one is the Savage 99

My hypothesis is that rifles of the era were so awful that the model 70 with its middling accuracy seemed like the apotheosis of precision… some folks just can’t accept change 🤷‍♂️

Why on earth those three?

You don’t have a Linder skinning knife do you?

My hypothesis is that rifles of the era were so awful that the model 70 with its middling accuracy seemed like the apotheosis of precision… some folks just can’t accept change 🤷‍♂️
To me it's about the cosmetic beauty as long as it is accurate enough to take down a deer or a dove. Mr. GunBlue's 1939-built Savage Model 99 can routinely shoot 5/8 MOA groups. Not bad for an old crackpot woods gun. If change means sloppiness in looks, I cannot accept the appearance of most new guns.

<iframe width="1029" height="579" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back