coyote load

peterk1234

Given our lack of ice, so no ice fishing, I am thinking of coyote hunting in January. My caliber choices are limited to 357 lever action or 308 and 30-06.

I am leaning toward the lever action, no scope just a peep sight. I'm in massachusetts. Woods hunting, probably 75 yards max. Solid lead shouldn't do too much damage to the hide. However, I want to bring my son in law as well. His christmas present from my daughter is a 30-06. Is there a load I could develop that would be able to take down a yote without blowing it to pieces? Thx Pete

That's what I am thinking; so it won't mushroom on impact. In one side and out the other. I suppose a neck shot would do the trick as well, then maybe not worry so much about the damage to the main part of the hide.

Given our lack of ice, so no ice fishing, I am thinking of coyote hunting in January. My caliber choices are limited to 357 lever action or 308 and 30-06.

I am leaning toward the lever action, no scope just a peep sight. I'm in massachusetts. Woods hunting, probably 75 yards max. Solid lead shouldn't do too much damage to the hide. However, I want to bring my son in law as well. His christmas present from my daughter is a 30-06. Is there a load I could develop that would be able to take down a yote without blowing it to pieces? Thx Pete

Wheel weight's in a 180gr Lee mold and 13gr of Red Dot covered with 1/4 sheet of toilet paper for the 30-06! Recoil is about like a 22 RF.

It would be a great time to ask for a new 5.56 for Christmas.
I know but I have purchased too many guns this year. Anymore and the ATF is going to show up :)

I do have a Henry Big boy in 357mag. And plenty of ammo loaded up for it (lead round nose). That may be the better play. I can shoot my 38sp load as well which is going maybe 900fps. I think I am getting 1600 fps with the 357 load. Both bullets are 158 grain.

If you go with a bonded bullet like a 180 in the 30-06 or a heavier bullet in the 308 should just punch through and not open up much

If you're going to make a load just for 75 yard coyotes in a 30-06 or 308, buy some 150gr FMJs and load them to reloading manual minimum. Or you could even use Trail Boss and get the velocity down to 1400fps or so.

You could shoot a Barnes or some other brand of monolithic projectile, but it'll still leave a 3-4" exit hole (larger if you hit the shoulder) with a full velocity load.

Cast bullet over RL7 or H4895. I would recommend a Lee 170 FNGC. A little bit of work, but super cheap to shoot if you can find some wheel weights. Light in the shoulder, wallet, and pelts

If your trying to save the pelts, i'd pick a fast burning powder and a low weight bullet for your 30 calibers.
Something in the 110-115gr range, loaded down to about 2,800fps or a little slower. Should prove perfectly acceptable out to about 400 yards or so.

Even my 250 Savage with 100gr Ballistic Tips do a lot of damage to pelts.
I grabbed the wrong ammo headed out the door. I meant to grab the 90gr Sierra BlitzKings. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back